Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123451323 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    OK, for Felix and anyone else curious about this Qianjiang/QJiang/Benelli QJ600GS aka BJ600GS, we convened a small quorum of the Shanghai chapter of MCM this afternoon in Pubei Lu, home of several motorcycle dealers and supply shops. The Benelli shop was closed, but test rides were indeed being offered outside the BMW dealer. (Really sorry the pictures are so relatively small. When I try to post "medium" sized pictures, this recently updated version of vBulletin says they are too big. So how is it that Roadrunner posts bigger pix? Am I doing something wrong?)

IMG4950-S.jpg

So that's 998S aka Eric on the left, and Mrs 998S on the right. TB-Racing and TB Jr in the center. It was pretty cold, but at least the rain let up for most of the day.

IMG4943-S.jpg

Here's the first QJ600GS in the wild in Shanghai, one of maybe a dozen that have been made so far and handed out to dealers around China in advance of a planned March launch.

This bike has been test-ridden by several dozen riders in Shanghai, and has battle scars to prove it.

IMG4944-S.jpg

Yes, that's quite a chunk of the right side plastic that was sprung free when one overzealous test rider laid it down on Saturday. There was also some bad scarring on the right rear panel beneath the pillion seat. There were thick crash pegs on both sides of the engine, which you can see in wider shots, but these were unblemished so we're thinking they were installed AFTER Saturday's little getoff, or the damage surely would have been less.

IMG4945-S.jpg

From this angle, you can see the left-side crash peg emerging from the trellis -- yes, what is it about this profusion of trellis frames going around? -- and you can also see something else odd about this bike: It's branded QJiang on one side, and Benelli on the other. Jekyll and Hyde?

Apart from the seemingly fragile plastics, the bike seemed to have a fairly decent build quality, though I found the footpegs and foot controls to be very thin and flimsy, at least compared to my Jialing JH600.

IMG4946-S.jpg

So here's a closer look at the front end. I'm not sure about the copper color for the forks, which was not pleasing to my eye. I asked MaoMao, the tall guy in the blue down jacket who was organizing the test rides, whether this bike is actually even "in production" yet, and he said they were making small batches numbering in the tens or scores, no more than that. It's still early days, but low production runs like that do not engender high levels of confidence -- as we know from Jialing, which builds only as many as bikes in its monthly production runs as it receives orders in the previous month; five orders, five bikes, eight orders, eight bikes.
    Last edited by euphonius; 01-29-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #22 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    IMG4947-S.jpg

Here's a rear view....

IMG4951-S.jpg

IMG4952-S.jpg

And a couple of close-ups of the visible portion of the engine block and exhaust pipes and radiator. Some guy was asking if this would make a good adventure bike; I seriously can't imagine anyone taking this on any extended stretches of unpaved road. There's little clearance, and those four pipes are very vulnerable. No one laughed when he asked, but we're a polite crowd. MaoMao said the bike was intended for riding on paved roads, and would not be particularly suitable for long-distance rides.

So how does it ride?

I'm hardly one to evaluate a motorcycle, given that I've been riding only for the past three years, and I have a strong bias toward the bikes I know -- the Kawasaki KLR650 and the Jialing JH600, both tall dual sports that are a bit top heavy and, well, just heavy at around 200kg each. Both are single-cylinder "thumpers" with very nice low-end torque and relatively low overall RPMs (redlining at 8k or so). They utter a healthy guttural growl. Because of their tallness and weight, you do need to manhandle them a bit to move them around, but this is not too challenging because the riding position is bolt upright, with your footpegs directly below the tops of your thighs and the bars positioned such that you don't have to lean forward to reach them.

The QJiang/Benelli is more oriented toward the sport-type design, and this gave me some pause. Your feet are positioned 10cm or further back on the bike, and you lean forward a bit to reach the bar, though 998S noted that his Ducatis put the rider into a much more of a stretched out prone riding position. But even this bit of forward-leaning was new for me, and I hemmed and hawed for more than an hour before screwing up the courage to take it out for a spin. By then TB-Racing and 998S had left to find someplace warm, but there are pictures to prove I'm not making this up.

IMG4958-S.jpg

The bike is small and relatively light. Here's how it looks under a 180cm, 90kg American in winter riding kit. Even on the track stand I could put both feet squarely on the ground, though my heels only touched with a bit of effort. Without the stand my feet were planted firmly and I could stand a bit with the bike between my legs. It feels light in my hands, and it was much easier to walk it back than my JH600 due to both the lighter weight and lower height. I didn't ask the actual weight, but I'm guessing maybe 150-160kg.

Prior to riding, I was required to sign a contract and show a valid motorcycle license, which the dealer retained during my very brief ride. I was required to have full safety gear, including knee and shoulder pads, boots, gloves and helmet. As I'd come by bike, I didn't need to borrow their strap-on knee pads.

MaoMao warned me a couple of times about the front brakes, which comprise two big disks with Brembo-copy caliper assemblies. He told me the guy who crashed on Saturday had panicked and locked up the front brakes, resulting in chunks of Benelli body plastic being strewn along Pubei Lu. (I didn't ask how much that unfortunate rider will be expected to pay for repairs...)

IMG4972-S.jpg

And so here it is in the wild! First thing you notice when you ride this bike is that cars behind you all start driving at different angles to each other. OK, just kidding. They always do that in China. The real first thing I noticed was that though it's a motorcycle, it's pretty damned different from a big thumper. When the engine is turning at only 4k or 5k, it sounds like it's hyperventilating -- vrooom! vrooom! But it was more bark than bite. Though the bike displaces 600cc just like my JH600, I did not feel like it was going to squirt out from under me. OK, I was being pretty timid, and though not watching the analog tachometer, I doubt I had it up anywhere beyond 6k or 7k; I think it redlines at 11k, but don't hold me to that.

I rode about 3 or 4 km in all, a straight run up Pubei Lu, then a right, and another right into the broad avenue below the Humin Elevated Highway. Then another right, then a left back into Pubei Lu. No more than five minutes in all; three right turns, then a left, then a slow left back onto the sidewalk and under the Benelli awning. I struggled a bit with the gearing, finding that after what I thought was a shift, it clearly was still in the same gear. What, I didn't pull up far enough on the flimsy lever? I tried again, same effect. So this could be user error, or it's got a balky transmission. There was only a green neutral indicator, but no current gear indicator (which we do have on our JH600s). I felt like the shift lever might snap off if I pulled it too much harder, and it was very flexible. I'm used to a very positive feeling in my JH600 shift lever. One quick click and it shifts, always. I never miss a shift. So this was different.

The bike turns very nicely, with a very light touch. I don't know if this is due to its alignment or lighter weight, or fork rake. Probably a combination. The JH600 is not hard to turn, but at slow speed the Benelli felt more relaxed and controlled. At faster speeds, it felt very controlled.

Braking was good, though I don't think I got the bike up to more than 65 or 70 kph, and, mindful of MaoMao's warning, did not hit the front brake hard. Did I mention that there was only half of a front brake lever to pull? I guess that was left on Pubei Lu on Saturday too. The bike accelerated well, though I did not put this too much to the test either. MaoMao was pillioning on a scooter to take pictures, and it was very easy to leave them far behind, even in just a short ride. The lightness helps it accelerate faster than my thumper.

So not a whole lot to say about the ride, other than that it goes OK, tracks OK, brakes OK, and feels steady and well-controlled in this newb's hands. MaoMao said that the Benelli, like most four-cylinder sport bikes, finds maximum power in the band between maybe 6k and 9k RPM. This was not in the cards today. I'll leave that for bolder and more experienced future riders, and will look forward to learning more about the bike's handling and performance.

A few other minor observations: The seat was comfortable, with a good balance of firmness and softness. It did not fit too cleanly on the bike, showing a non-uniform gap between the seat and the plastics beneath it. The control panel inlcuded a digital speedometer and analog tachometer, a green neutral indicator, turn signal indicators, and probably also a high beam indicator, as well as a fuel indicator (stacked horizontal bars), a digital clock and odometer and trip meter.

The mirrors were small, offering only a pinhole view behind me, and they seemed to be of flimsy quality. The brake and clutch levers were meatier, and felt good in my hands. The clutch was well adjusted, and I had no problems engaging and disengaging. The front triple clamp seemed to be a little loose; with the front brakes fully engaged, I felt a clicking as I rocked the bike. Don't know whether that was just a poor adjustment or a poor build. The rear suspension was pretty firm under my 90kg, and the big red shock has an easily accessible adjusting ring. I didn't take note of the brand of the shock.

I did not make close or detailed observations of most of the parts, and did not lift the seat to see the wiring harness, battery, ECU and other guts.

MaoMao seemed to know a fair bit about the bike, but by no means was expert.

We three MCMers came away thinking this could be a decent bike -- but only if, and it's a big if, Qianjiang/Benelli put some very substantial resources into after-sales support, including ongoing training of technicians as the bikes mature and the design evolves. On the other hand, if it's just a once-off design, with no ongoing, realtime evaluation and development, it'll be just that -- a once-off flash-in-the-pan bike with no deep impact in the market.

That's all I can think of for now. Any questions?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #23 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Wow ... How about that for a test review?
    Think a general magazine does less on a bike test then Jeff did just now.
    And I can only agree with most of his findings, well done with only a 230kg Jialing as a reference!

Seriously, it is a sexy bike, and I can not stop thinking how I can justify to buy one.
    And that while I promised never to buy anything with more then 2 cylinders any more ...
    Problems, problems, ..... ha-ha ...

4. #24 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Wow! What a review, thanks a million Jeff, and also tb and Eric!

So what I understand is that it's a decent bike and likely lots of fun to own, until out has a problem and it's time to find out what kind of a company qj really is!

We know riding in China is a head ache anyway, regardless what bike you choose. Legal imports are too expensive, illegal imports mean you constantly have to watch your back, at least this is a big bike that doesn't have these issues! I'm gonna give it 6 months and make a decision then.

5. #25 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    As I've posted previously on this website, aside from the Benelli/Qianjiang QJ600, there's the Loncin LX650 based on the BMW 650 thumper, the CFMoto 650NK inline twin and the 650TR full-fairing/side pannier model being released next month pre-orders being taken now. I mentioned that one of the issues about the QJ600 will be over servicing, and the fact that again as others have, that a cramped naked bike with little to no protection from elements, let alone little ground clearance and exposed undercarriage is not the ideal setup or solution for the majority of hinterland China. Still better to have some choices... which I'm sure will only increase given time...

6. #26 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    I would say a year after its formal release would be best, then any design flaws should show up. Getting support is a variable that is always different in part a function of who you are and who you know, always, no mater what country you are in.

As to whether or not the Italians went the distance on the design and relative support documentation, it would be hard to see at this point. Benelli has for all its models previously offered and I see no reason for them not to continue that with this model. Unless something gets lost in the translation? The Italians may not be linked into retail level support, that would concern me.

It is a premium brand it is not intended for anyone that is price conscience

As for rumors, you would have to wonder how the Italians reacted to the Chinese take over? Who stayed and who left how enthusiastic are they?

Why put ten bikes in the retail outlets? Is that typical practice in the industry? I think in a more perfect world you have field mangers for service that are rated high by the factory engineers? That should be who should get the first batch for review and that should be a comprehensive review, related to quality and serviceability. As for initial impressions related to performance, that should be done by those that are considered experts, those that professionally race motorcycles?

7. #27 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    I've written a few reviews for bikes like this too, but all these reviews no matter how good are fairly irrelevant, the most important things are just unknowable, these are obviously reliability, support and warranty. There are a very few companies I'd trust to bolt together a modern bike that can work like clockwork, Honda, BMW, maybe Yamaha, and a few others.....even Ducati, KTM and Triumph I'd want a good warranty.

As has already been said unqualified mechanics with a few sockets and adjustable spanners are the norm. What if I need a clutch lever, foot peg, fuel filter, tires? I know how hard it can be even to get OK tires. Even an oil filter for a YBR250 can be a pain, this is because the mechanics are only familiar with Suzuki type filters, so if you order an oil filter this is what you'll get. I often bring grease, chain lube and tools to bike shops in China.

Qjiang need to sell their bikes in China for minimal profit as a fully supported R&D test bed, in PC gamer terms a paid 'open beta'. New products especially, but all products fail, if any company can say sorry and replace at their expense, nobody really minds if they also provide a supply of spares too. So at least 6 properly tooled-up qualified mechanics China-wide with an easy way to source parts quickly.

I hope this isn't another 'take your money and run' (Jialing) thing.

8. #28 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    hi guys,

any update regarding this Benelli?

would like to see other testimonial about how the bike performance....;)

9. #29 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    C-Moto Guru
    If this bike is made registerable in China then I'd think it would be a huge breakthrough for the legalization of large engine motorcycles in China... imagine that.
    I love my current bike but I also crave something bigger; a 600 would be just right. If it turns out to be a fairly reliable machine with easy access to spare parts then it would be so attractive, although, if this does become registerable all over China then why not a Honda, a Yamaha or another well-known foreign make 600cc bike? Would they still outlaw the other brands and say "Chinese motorbikes only!"

10. #30 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    hi guys,

any update regarding this Benelli?

would like to see other testimonial about how the bike performance....;)
    According to the prior posts, we may have to wait until after March, when the thing gets launched.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123451323 ... LastLast