Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
  1. #111 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaunedoe View Post
    last post of him i saw on a french forum was that his project was on hold/delayed for a year or so.
    he had an accident and needed to recover (injured feet).
    http://www.bonjourchine.com/f121/f13...is-moto-5.html
    Now THAT was unexpected. Or wasn't it?

2. #112 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    C-Moto Guru
    Next time he sets out, he should take a pair of these with him:
    DSCN1527.jpg
    I've crash tested them and they did well.

It wouldn't hurt to gear up with some other stuff too. The stuff I have even matches his bikes colour... almost.

3. #113 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    As you read
    Last edited by fallwew; 03-22-2017 at 07:53 AM.

4. #114 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    C-Moto Guru
    I hope you'll recover soon.

Stay away from suicidal e-bikers! How about the e-biker, what shape is he in?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #115 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    Quote Originally Posted by fallwew View Post
    As you read, the "French Rider" had a crash, the bike got broken, he got hurt in many places, feet broken, huge cut on the leg...

The leg is still no ok as it re opened itself 2 weeks ago...

The worst in that: happened to me 300m away from my home, wasn't even speeding... Thanks to Mr Chinese Guy with his electric bike who decided to make a U-Turn right in front of me without even looking behind...

And yes i did have protection, leather jacket broken, pant broken, shoes, gloves and helmet were ok...

So yes, the trip, it's been delayed...

i had 3 crashes in china over the past 12 years... i even end up with crutches for a month or so... the last one with my face on the local TV is where i decided to keep my fireblade for track only and that a less powerful bike with ABS was fine enough for the chinese roads and common weekend drives.

all in all i wish you a good recovery and hope you still manage to finalize your project, keep us updated

6. #116 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fallwew View Post
    Thanks to Mr Chinese Guy with his electric bike who decided to make a U-Turn right in front of me without even looking behind...
    I do my best to expect U-turns from all of those who are in-sight. My bike is a 250 single and it's pretty damn quiet; I'd expect them (although expecting is a mistake in China) to hear a GSXR coming down the road behind them though.
    The majority of accidents happen close to home.
    I hope you get well soon Fallwew.

7. #117 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    [QUOTE=soberpete;43703
    Last edited by fallwew; 03-22-2017 at 07:53 AM.

8. #118 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Fallwew,

Sorry to learn about your crash and injuries. Riding in China is filled with dangers, and we must be on constant guard, but ultimately the odds are not good. All the more reason to do everything we can to protect ourselves.

Also sorry you were unable to get medical care more quickly after this crash. I know it's no comfort now, but please bear in mind -- all motorcycles can be replaced. A financial loss sucks, but what's the price of good health, and a quick recovery? You probably managed the situation as best you could, wanting not to have someone make off with your bike. Riding solo here (or anywhere) always carries that risk, that we'll have to make a post-crash decision: stay with the bike or leave it to go get care. We can plan for this, to some extent. You'll see there are various references in MCM to emergency preparations that many of us make to ensure we get the best outcome following an accident, especially affixing personal data and contacts for friend on our helmets so that police or rescue workers can find help quickly. I wish you'd had someone to call who could have come to look after your bike while you went to get stitched up.

Finally, I'm very glad to know you were wearing some protection, which would be a change from the pictures we've seen of you in the past -- riding in shorts and t-shirt on a fast, powerful sport bike. This shows maturity. But you've also mentioned that you were wearing shoes but still broke bones in your feet. Not trying to make a lecture here, just reflecting on what happened for the benefit of everyone in MCM. There a huge difference between "shoes" and proper riding boots.

Three years ago when I, at 50+, bought my first bike, I showed up at a local bike night in northern California in a decent (second-hand) jacket and jeans and training shoes. A very experienced rider (who had survived some awful crashes) looked me up and down, and decided to tell me a story about a guy who was known to ride in substandard shoes who crashed on the Golden Gate Bridge.

"My first question was, 'Were you able to find your shoes afterwards?'," my friend said. "And of course he said his shoes could not be found." He looked at my feet again and said, "Tennis shoes are the first things to come off in a crash. They fly off very quickly. And you'll pay a terrible price in damage to your feet. And then people wonder what happened to their shoes." I got a pair of proper (second hand) boots the next day, and they've served me well in my various getoffs. My armored jacket didn't protect my clavicle from shattering, but my riding gear -- and my skin -- stayed on my body.

Again, I'm not trying to salt your wounds, just hoping we can all take lessons from your accident. I'm no saint; I just rode nearly 3000 km in barely 2 weeks in California, wearing a decent jacket, helmet, gloves and boots but only jeans, even on freeways riding 80mph. We all take our chances. But stories like yours are really instructive to all of us: Street clothes and shoes are not adequate protection.

Our ideal is called ATGATT -- All The Gear All the Time.

Hope you mend quickly and can get back on the bike soon.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #119 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Fallwew, in some way you should be happy your trip came to an end in China. The roads in China are so heavenly compared to the ones in Kazakhstan. Were doing a similar kind of trip now, but then on a YBR250. My guess is that the suspension is alot looser than on your gsxr, I could never imagine driving on kazakh roads with your bike. We are breaking our backs already, doing 50 kmh, on the national highways!
    Anyway Im glad your doing fine now and hope some day youll be able to do the trip. Good luck!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112