Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fallwew View Post
    ...you may be really surprised as i'm definitely not a lier and i can prove it...
    G'Day,

No worries, no need to prove anything to me as you missing the point entirely...... travel safe!

Very nice and interesting link....
    Sjaak is quite a character and enjoyed meeting him during his BJ visit for a ride, dinner and beers.....

2. #12 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I see, i get it now...
    Last edited by fallwew; 03-22-2017 at 07:46 AM.

3. #13 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    Banned
    ...in shanghai i tried to find some places where i could build such custom boxes but so far no luck....
    G'Day,

Watch out, big alloy panniers might slow you down!!!!

Check Touratech, SW-Mototech, Hepco + Becker, Caribou Panniers, etc. or try the Chinese TOURFELLA guy: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ight=tourfella

4. #14 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,

Watch out, big alloy panniers might slow you down!!!!

Check Touratech, SW-Mototech, Hepco + Becker, Caribou Panniers, etc. or try the Chinese TOURFELLA guy: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ight=tourfella
    I'm with TB on this. Sjaak's accomplishments are undeniable, but I'd not want to be out crossing the Taklimakan on a bike with that tall stack of aluminium boxes behind me. Your center of gravity is far too high, and that box will act like a sail or wing in strong winds. Carving through curves would not be fun at all.

You'll be a lot happier with low-slung panniers and maybe a compressible duffel bag lashed down on top.

If you'd like an introduction to Du Rui, the Tourfella guy, I'm happy to make it. He'll need to make a custom rack, but he's certainly capable of doing so. Uses only the very best hardened steel and his welds are gorgeous.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #15 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    If you'd like an introduction to Du Rui, the Tourfella guy, I'm happy to make it. He'll need to make a custom rack, but he's certainly capable of doing so. Uses only the very best hardened steel and his welds are gorgeous.
    G'Day,

We should arrange a trip out to the TOURFELLA bloke to have a look-see, sounds interesting.....
    I am often in hangzhou, how far is the TOURFELLA workshop approx. from Hangzhou -West Lake-?

6. #16 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,

We should arrange a trip out to the TOURFELLA bloke to have a look-see, sounds interesting.....
    I am often in hangzhou, how far is the TOURFELLA workshop approx. from Hangzhou -West Lake-?

You're on. Let's wait till spring though. Du's workshop is in Yongkang in south-central Zhejiang. Absolutely stunning rural roads and scenery between here and there. Worth taking one's time, as far as I'm concerned, though you can get there in several hours of hard riding. Would be fun to do at least one night at the lakeside retreat, weather permitting.

cheers!

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #17 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    You're on. Let's wait till spring though. Du's workshop is in Yongkang in south-central Zhejiang. Absolutely stunning rural roads and scenery between here and there. Worth taking one's time, as far as I'm concerned, though you can get there in several hours of hard riding. Would be fun to do at least one night at the lakeside retreat, weather permitting.cheers!
    G'Day,

All ears, lets do it before the mozzies arrive.....

8. #18 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    I Anyway about this guy, i saw his bike, in shanghai i tried to find some places where i could build such custom boxes but so far no luck, i wen to take the bike back yesterday night, so here's what has been done:
    http://www.shanghai-paris.com/en/the...-pictures.html
    Well, if I have a look at your pics, the good thing is that it seems at least an bike engineer with some equipment.
    First time I see an engineer actually having the equipment AND the knowledge to balance throttle bodies.

However, although I am far from an expert, take the trip not too lightly.
    That Yamaha was very very well prepared, and even he had problems.

You and the bike will get a tremendous beating every now and then (not all roads you will encounter are of the SH-HZ quality) , and you better be prepared for it.
    You will meet off-days, you will meet days that you are happy to have done 30 km, and of course there will be those beautiful days that all is forgotten. Just be realistic, not overly optimistic.

Good luck again!

9. #19 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    I wonder about the weather its February and your taking a Northern route. I can only view part of your route but are you sure the route you are taking at this time of year is practical or better yet even possible?

The average high temp in Urumqi in February is -4.7 C it may not snow on average very much but the humidity is not low so that means ice can form. I think you are a month at least too early for such a trip. You run the risk of hitting ice and also even snow storms.

10. #20 Re: Shanghai to Paris on a GSX-R - ROUFFIAC MICKAEL 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    About the boxes, this is also what my mechanic told me, that's why he suggested the side bags instead.

What about "Du's workshop is in Yongkang in south-central Zhejiang" and meeting there? I didn't get it, what is this?

I'll be as prepared as I can be for this trip I guess, of course I'm still in the process of arranging everything, I still have another 2.5 month.

MJH=/ I'll be leaving on the night of April 28th / 29th, and i won't be in Wulumuqi before the 6th of May. The weather there will be a way better than now.
    Of course i won't be going in either February or March.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast