Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Disabled rider needs 3 wheeled motorcycle or atv help/advice or bike pleeeeeaasseeee 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob PaulTheDevil's Avatar
    been riding for 30yr or more. been off road due two bad illness for 6 years and unable to walk. now i getting a bit better i can stand but not control a 2 wheeler at standstill.
    i HAVE to get road bound. not to sound melodramatic but i don't know how long i got left and i want to spend some of it sharing and introducing my life long passion with my wife and long time suffering partner, Daisy.
    i don't know if i can even register or if i need to . i DONT want one o the rear twin wheeled disabled 125cc or a hair drier of any sort. having a racing background i always road the ''ducsaki kawiuki 10000000000rs'' but i know i got to be more realistic. and frncly i could get down on one and make use of it.
    my real orations are...
    1. the spider can-am (http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod...heels_ATV.html) around 200000-300000 yuan. and the dealer i spoke to has offered to 'license' it for me at a cost. 20000-30000yuan

2.zhejaing replica ''can am'' (http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod...heels_ATV.html)
    the difference is the cinese is 250 mot 950 and 10 times cheaper. 20000 yuan
    the dealer will register this for me too.

3. 3 wheeled bling tav road racing quads. from Zhejiang. (http://www.0579atv.com/supply/stc/250CC/53/) again 9000 yuan

thing is i just don't know what i can or can't do. if i buy one i will be a sitting target for the police as i haven't seen 1,and when i went to the licensing place they haver never registered one and even, after a bit of smoooooth talking the girl, was told not to bother and try your luck.

so please advice options or bikes would be really really helpful. i have around 30000 max, not a lot but i don't work i just live here and receive medical treatment.

2. #2 Re: Disabled rider needs 3 wheeled motorcycle or atv help/advice or bike pleeeeeaass 
    C-Moto Guru
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I recently saw this video on YouTube about a disabled man who modified his 2 wheeled motorcycle for disabled use; the gear shifter is wired to a button on the handle bars and there is a retractable rear stabiliser for use when doing low speed maneuvering and when at a stand still. It dosen't look to hard to do these mods so you could probably get any motorcycle you want and have the work done by a professional. I hope this helps.

3. #3 Re: Disabled rider needs 3 wheeled motorcycle or atv help/advice or bike pleeeeeaass 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Yes, also very sorry to hear about your misfortune ... but it is great that you are getting back in the saddle, so to speak.

The Can-Am Spyder is interesting, but very pricey! Be very careful about any dealer that says it can get a plate, for a price. If you can't get a plate through normal, legal channels, in your place of residence ... walk away.

The Chinese knock-off, I have heard, has a few issues.

I don't know if you've considered a sidecar rig. I have heard that the Jialing JH600B can be legally plated in Shanghai (your displayed location). As you may have read on on this website, the JH600s have a fuel injection issue which has apparently been resolved (I am not sure, as my 2-wheeled and my 3-wheeled JH600s are both being rebuilt at this moment). When the JH600B sidecar rig is running well, it is a great bike ... and it can be legally plated.

There may also be some legal CJ750s still running around Shanghai that you could pick up.

I don't know how it works in Shanghai but, as an example, in Beijing it is possible to acquire a legal handicapped plate for a 3-wheeled vehicle. These are somewhat complicated to acquire, but only a tiny fraction of the price of a regular "A" plate. There might be a CC limit (I have heard a rumor that it is 250), but I have only heard biker gossip and never actually researched the facts.

Good luck!

4. #4 Re: Disabled rider needs 3 wheeled motorcycle or atv help/advice or bike pleeeeeaass 
    mei-tian.com is one of the "local" that makes legal disabled vehicle IF the above can't registered.

5. #5 Re: Disabled rider needs 3 wheeled motorcycle or atv help/advice or bike pleeeeeaass 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Paul,

Greetings and welcome to MCM. Here in Shanghai, there are at least a half-dozen Jialing JH600B sidecar bikes, which would be a nice option for you and the missus and even a bit of luggage for overnight and longer trips. The best guy to contact is a member called Nostalgie, who has a JH600B and knows the owners of most or all of the others. Send him a PM if you'd like to check it out. Last I heard the JH600B was still not being registered in Shanghai, so most or all were being registered just up the 318 in Huzhou. It's good news if they've been greenlighted here for registration. But of course that means you need to come up with the heavy dosh for plates (54k rmb at last check).

That Can-Am copy looks pretty interesting too. I've never seen one in the wild, so perhaps you could be the first in Shanghai. If you are the first, it'll take some special (heroic?) effort to get it registered in Shanghai. But it's certainly worth exploring. That link you posted included contacts for the manufacturer. Have you contacted them?

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted about what you get.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Disabled rider needs 3 wheeled motorcycle or atv help/advice or bike pleeeeeaass 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob PaulTheDevil's Avatar
    hey guys thanks for the support and the great advice. you never know until you try and this all all very inspiring and helpful i been here 2 years now and i never knew there were so many great likeminded people here.i will explore all the links and advice and consider the sidecar , but to be honest i visited the shop in hame lu (?) in channing, got the location from the guy at the ducati shop (couldn't resist making myself suicidal by lucking at something i can't ride again,but no pain no gain eh) and i don't think its me. not yet . but they look great specially if i could hook up my old triumph haha. i tried speaking to the factories on the copies, but they just say for export only.most are classed as recreation toys and many factories don't even have the government certificates, so they can't sell for domestic use. they just reply .no

i will give you a heads up on where i go. but i got my mind set on this 3 wheel idea. if not just to be the first to try to find out how i can so others can if they want to.

so thanks guys and if you can keep the replies and advice coming and ill post when i find anything else out.
    paul

7. #7 Re: Disabled rider needs 3 wheeled motorcycle or atv help/advice or bike pleeeeeaass 
    Banned
    G'Day,

HD Shanghai has a blue HD sidecar rig sitting in the dealership with Shanghai "A" plate.
    Quite sure won't be cheap: http://www.harley-davidsonshanghai.cn/a/product/mt/tz/