Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Final decision

1. #1 Final decision 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi guys,

I have made my final decision and I am finally going to buy the Jialing 600A. I want to thank Barry for his help and for his advice, taking me to see the dealer of Jialing, specially taking into account that I was a completely stranger to him. A really nice guy!

Finally I am going to buy it through another dealer, just because he actually has one in stock. I will buy it with the jing B plates. I wanted to see what you guys think about the price and if everything is included to ride safely through China, (advices and warnings are welcomed!)

购置税 Purchase tax 3200 RMB
    保险 Insurance 400 RMB
    车船税 Some kind of tax 240 RMB
    验车 Technical inspection + 登记 registration + 偖用公户 more registration?ŋ (they guy said it was the price of the plate, then again my chinese is not so good) = 500 RMB

This plus the price of the moto 32.000 RMB and they guy wanted to sell me three cases (one for each side and one for the back each with aprox 15 L) for 4.800 RMB which i think is absourdely expensive though I havent bought any before.

In any case, thanks again to all the guys who lend me some kind of advice, Ill keep you posted on what I do, and hope I can soon join you for some trips during the weekends!

2. #2 Re: Final decision 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by gambitox View Post
    Hi guys,

I have made my final decision and I am finally going to buy the Jialing 600A. I want to thank Barry for his help and for his advice, taking me to see the dealer of Jialing, specially taking into account that I was a completely stranger to him. A really nice guy!

Finally I am going to buy it through another dealer, just because he actually has one in stock. I will buy it with the jing B plates. I wanted to see what you guys think about the price and if everything is included to ride safely through China, (advices and warnings are welcomed!)

购置税 Purchase tax 3200 RMB
    保险 Insurance 400 RMB
    车船税 Some kind of tax 240 RMB
    验车 Technical inspection + 登记 registration + 偖用公户 more registration?ŋ (they guy said it was the price of the plate, then again my chinese is not so good) = 500 RMB

This plus the price of the moto 32.000 RMB and they guy wanted to sell me three cases (one for each side and one for the back each with aprox 15 L) for 4.800 RMB which i think is absourdely expensive though I havent bought any before.

In any case, thanks again to all the guys who lend me some kind of advice, Ill keep you posted on what I do, and hope I can soon join you for some trips during the weekends!
    Dear Gambitox,

Congratulations on your decision! As I've said before, I'm biased (as a JH600 owner) but I think you are making the right move. I cannot speak to the administrative costs, but they look pretty reasonable -- especially compared to what we pay in Shanghai! (54k rmb for the plate alone, not to mention all the fees, etc)

As for the panniers, if he is offering the Jialing stock boxes for 4800 rmb, that's preposterous. As TexasAggie has noted many times, the stock boxes are total crap, and the mounting frames are not very good either. But if the panniers he's offering are the Tourfella boxes
    that Motokai, Lao Jia Huo and a few others have purchased from the master craftsman Du Rui down in Yongkang, they are definitely worth having. The price seems high compared to what Du Rui is charging in that Taobao link. You might want to call him. I love the panniers and rear racks, but I also had him build and install a set of very nice engine guards made with the same hardened steel as the rear racks. I also had him make a superior skid plate and a debris deflector that mounts on the center stand. So my JH600 is almost bulletproof.

In my opinion (as one who does not hesitate to drop the bike when necessary), hand guards are also essential -- not to protect your hands but to protect your levers. Last thing you want when you are out in the middle of nowhere is to snap your clutch lever.

Good luck and keep us posted about your progress!
    Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Final decision 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi,

Just before I buy the bike I wanted to clearify a couple of doubts that have arised in the process of buying the moto.

The first has to do with the legal papers you need to ride legally in Beijing /China. After looking through the forum I havent found any actual post dedicated exclusevely to the matter (please correct me if there is one) So according to what the dealer has told me I believe the papers are the following.

保险 Insurance

验车 Technical inspection

登记 vehicle registration

The guy also told me that taking into account I want to buy the Jing B plate, the registration of the vehicle must be with a different company and cannot be made with my name. I donīt know if this is the normal procedure.

Again sorry for bothering you guys with endless doubts, maybe I am worrying too much, but I found strange that the moto is not registered in my name.

PD: By the way, thanks for the advice euphonius, I am seriously considering to contact this Du Rui shifu

4. #4 Re: Final decision 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi Gambitox.
    Due to the Beijing ban of motorcycles, you can't register Jing B plate if you have adress in one of following districts: Dongchen, Xicheng, Chaoyang, Haidian, Shijingshan and Fengtai.
    Thats why it have to be registered in another name - with adress outside Beijing City center.
    Br and good luck with the new bike!!!
    Torben Vester - "Morfar"
    KTM 530 EXC-R -08
    KTM 625 SXC - 04
    Honda Transalp XL600V
    Suzuki RMX 250

5. #5 Re: Final decision 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Gambitox

Congrats on your decision. The JH600 is a good china-bike, aside from the Fuel Injection/Stalling issue, and the abysmal "customer service" from Jialing. People say the JH600-A is stall-free although IMHO the jury is still out. I'd much rather be on a JH600 in the middle of nowhere, seeking repairs, than on a BMW/Ducatti.

The company registration of a "B" plate is very common. Several MCM members in Beijing have this arrangement. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you keep the green book at home (i.e., not on your bike). As long as you have a valid Chinese DL, a properly plated & insured bike, you are ok. You might pick up the 100 rmb fine if you ride inside the 4th RR but, if you do, your bike isn't seized ... and, amazingly, you have a 2 or 3 hour grace period to ride back outside the 4th Ring Road. I have heard varying stories about whether you also get 3 points for being inside the 4th RR, and I am not sure what the truth is. Discussion on Chinese forums suggest that a policeman has the option of giving you 3 points.

Yeah, the "A" plate is getting expensive - it is currently 25K, and its price will likely continue to rise. Simple supply/demand.

BTW, what color did you buy?

Also, I might sell my large Tourfella side boxes. Send me a PM if you are interested and we can discuss. They are in new condition.

6. #6 Re: Final decision 
    C-Moto Regular
    No more Jing A avaible!!
    To have a Jing A, you have to buy a already Jing A registred bike, scap it and transfer the plate to a new bike.
    Thats the info I got from Beijing Traffic Manegement Bureau the 16/12 - 2011
    Torben Vester - "Morfar"
    KTM 530 EXC-R -08
    KTM 625 SXC - 04
    Honda Transalp XL600V
    Suzuki RMX 250

7. #7 Re: Final decision 
    C-Moto Guru
    One other option you would have to get the B-plate registered on your name is, if you have some friend or colleague living outside the 4th ring. Take his rental contract and register with the police station at that location. Get the bike registered on your name and register at your own police station again!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

8. #8 Re: Final decision 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfar View Post
    No more Jing A avaible!!
    To have a Jing A, you have to buy a already Jing A registred bike, scap it and transfer the plate to a new bike.
    G'Day,

Sounds an awful lot like Shanghai.

9. #9 Re: Final decision 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfar View Post
    No more Jing A avaible!!
    Yes, that is how it has worked since around 1995 or 2000 (no new plates being issued).

I just bought another new bike today, called my plate-agent, and the current market price is 25K. There are two major plate-agents in Beijing. Almost all the bike shops use these two agents. My agent speculates that an "A" will be well into the 30s by mid-summer.

Because of the vehicle plate restrictions (i.e., the lottery system), and the ever-increasing traffic jams, people are turning to 2-wheeled options ... resulting in an increased demand chasing after a fixed supply.

If you have a "B" in your name, and then move your residence into an "A" area, you have to acquire an "A" plate. The authorities control this through the annual inspection process - you can't get the inspection done unless you have the proper plate/residence-registration. You need to show your temp reg document during the inspection process.

If you want to work around the rules to save some money, and get a "B", the only real option is to do the "register in a company name" fix. The truth is, though, that the "A" has proven to be a very good investment over the past few years. My JH600's "A" plate was 8,000 rmb in 2010. Lots of people laughed at me for spending so much money. Two years of no-worries-about-the-police riding, and my JH600's "A" plate is now worth 25K.