Quote Originally Posted by Morfar View Post
No more Jing A avaible!!
To have a Jing A, you have to buy a already Jing A registred bike, scap it and transfer the plate to a new bike.
Thats the info I got from Beijing Traffic Manegement Bureau the 16/12 - 2011
Yes, that is how it has worked since around 1995 or 2000 (no new plates being issued).

I just bought another new bike today, called my plate-agent, and the current market price is 25K. There are two major plate-agents in Beijing. Almost all the bike shops use these two agents. My agent speculates that an "A" will be well into the 30s by mid-summer.

Because of the vehicle plate restrictions (i.e., the lottery system), and the ever-increasing traffic jams, people are turning to 2-wheeled options ... resulting in an increased demand chasing after a fixed supply.

If you have a "B" in your name, and then move your residence into an "A" area, you have to acquire an "A" plate. The authorities control this through the annual inspection process - you can't get the inspection done unless you have the proper plate/residence-registration. You need to show your temp reg document during the inspection process.

If you want to work around the rules to save some money, and get a "B", the only real option is to do the "register in a company name" fix. The truth is, though, that the "A" has proven to be a very good investment over the past few years. My JH600's "A" plate was 8,000 rmb in 2010. Lots of people laughed at me for spending so much money. Two years of no-worries-about-the-police riding, and my JH600's "A" plate is now worth 25K.