Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Chain Link for YBR250 ? 
    Hey all,

I've been stocking spare parts for my upcoming trip, but I'm until now unable to find a chain link for the YBR250 on taobao... Found whole chain, but I think it's a little bit overkill for a 10-12K km ride.
    Do you know where I could find one ?

BTW : in terms of chain/sprockets, what is you guys thoughts : the bike will have around 5K km on the meter by the time I stat the trip, then it's a let's say 12K km trip. Do I need to pack an extra chain & sprockets, or do you reckon it'll be ok ? For info : 2-up on the bike with luggages, but smooth and calm riding to take care of the bike, with regular chain lubrication (every 1,000km).

Thanks in advance !

2. #2 Re: Chain Link for YBR250 ? 
    My 2 cents...

It's often quite difficult to get master links that fit every chain. I've seen many variations between manufacturers, so I always try to purchase 2 master links with every chain I buy. I also purchase my chains 4-6 links too long, that way you always have a spare piece of chain to carry in case of a failure. 4 links of chain and a master link doesn't weigh much, and will probably get you out of a jam.

Were it me, I would purchase brand new chain and sprockets a week before your journey. Ride the bike a few times to "break them in" and then be sure the adjustment and alignment were spot on before departing. I would put the old chain and sprockets in a box, and have them ready to ship should you need them during your trip. If not, you can put them back on when you get home.

Every day on the road, towards the end of the day, stop and lube your chain. #1 the rollers are warm and will soak up the lube. #2 Your chain will be sitting in a nice coating of chain lube while it sleeps every night.

If you ride in the rain, be sure to lube the chain before you stop for the day. Believe it or not, I've seen chains rust overnight after a heavy day in wet road grime.

Buy a HUGE can of chain lube, it's almost impossible to find at stores in China. Hitting the chain with engine oil is terrible for O-Ring chains.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Chain Link for YBR250 ? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Buy a HUGE can of chain lube, it's almost impossible to find at stores in China. Hitting the chain with engine oil is terrible for O-Ring chains.
    G'Day,

Motul / BelRay chain lube readily available in quite a few Shanghai bike shops, otherwise Taobao is your friend as usual.

4. #4 Re: Chain Link for YBR250 ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,

Motul / BelRay chain lube readily available in quite a few Shanghai bike shops, otherwise Taobao is your friend as usual.
    Why is it that everyone in China carries Motul and BelRay? Do they actually have distributors here? I see Motul and BelRay so often now that I'm starting to think it's all fake. The group I ride with is very divided on the BelRay chain lube. Some think it's crap and others swear by it...wonder if we got a few bad cans?

Still buy all my lubricants in Hong Kong. Half a million people per day smuggling baby formula across the HK/China border and they sometimes hassle me for a couple cans of chain lube .

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Chain Link for YBR250 ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    My 2 cents...

It's often quite difficult to get master links that fit every chain. I've seen many variations between manufacturers, so I always try to purchase 2 master links with every chain I buy. I also purchase my chains 4-6 links too long, that way you always have a spare piece of chain to carry in case of a failure. 4 links of chain and a master link doesn't weigh much, and will probably get you out of a jam.

Were it me, I would purchase brand new chain and sprockets a week before your journey. Ride the bike a few times to "break them in" and then be sure the adjustment and alignment were spot on before departing. I would put the old chain and sprockets in a box, and have them ready to ship should you need them during your trip. If not, you can put them back on when you get home.

Every day on the road, towards the end of the day, stop and lube your chain. #1 the rollers are warm and will soak up the lube. #2 Your chain will be sitting in a nice coating of chain lube while it sleeps every night.

If you ride in the rain, be sure to lube the chain before you stop for the day. Believe it or not, I've seen chains rust overnight after a heavy day in wet road grime.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Thanks for the 2 cents ChinaV.
    I will have 2 cans of chain lube with me and hit the chain with it almost every day as you mentioned. Other than that, and providing I do not find a master link that fits the YBR250 chain, I'll take it very easy on the chain, maintain it as well as possible, and cross all my fingers during the trip, without packing an entire new chain + sprockets.