Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Rescue organizations in China 
    Ok don't know if is in the right forum but seeing as the season is getting nearer and people will be out riding again and some will be doing some long rides into some remote parts of China maybe people on here from different parts of China can post details of which organizations to contact if and when we need help in their area.

I am trying at the moment to find who I need to call if I get caught out in the mountains here.It is slow going. But more and more people are accessing the mountains here now if people haven't hurt themselves yet they will soon and they will need someone to help them.

There is a search and rescue volunteer organization here I am told but I am still waiting on the info.

So who do you call in your part of China if it all turns to S**T. Army,Police ,friends,search and rescue? What's their contact details?

Lets hope we don't need to use this info but it is good to have before you leave.As the scouts say "better to be prepared"

2. #2 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    On top of the "emergency card" around my neck (in Chinese & English), my first reflex would be to call the police (110) and/or ambulance (120) in China.
    Needless to say, without expecting anything really helpful from them....

Oh, and I forgot : being French, I recorded the mobile phone number of the French/German doctor appointed by the German & French Consulates in Shanghai, who can be called in case of an emergency... It may help...

3. #3 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    On top of the "emergency card" around my neck (in Chinese & English), my first reflex would be to call the police (110) and/or ambulance (120) in China.
    Needless to say, without expecting anything really helpful from them....

Oh, and I forgot : being French, I recorded the mobile phone number of the French/German doctor appointed by the German & French Consulates in Shanghai, who can be called in case of an emergency... It may help...
    Just wondering what language you recorded it in. French,English or Chinese.

My Consulate (Australia) is useless.When the S**t hit the fan here a couple of years ago I rang them and asked their advice which was "we are telling everyone to just stay in there hotel.I said I live and work here how long should I not go to work "we don't know" was their reply.Because international calls were stopped my sister in Australia rang the Aussie consulate in Beijing and asked for them to ring me with some pretty important info(She just had a heart attack and needed help)Did they ring me NOPE.

I won't be relying on them for help.

4. #4 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    I meant that I recorded the number, for me or my GF to use it in case we need it, not for anyone else to scroll through the contacts list and eventually call.
    No, in China, I wouldn't dream of that... Even the emergency card around the neck is maybe pretty useless here, so...

5. #5 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Good topic.

Anyone who has done extended, remote tours can't help thinking about the "what if" scenario.

Anyways, aside from the obvious of always riding with a buddy, I think one of the greatest safety features for remote travel is the GPS tracker & a mobile phone.

If disaster strikes, call someone who knows how to log into your GPS tracking website to find your exact location, and let them coordinate the assistance.

If you can't get a mobile signal, well, you've just gotta wait for the first "putt putt" truck to come along and (hopefully) pick up your carcass.

6. #6 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    C-Moto Senior
    Well, I know 011 is the police. I've been told that a few times but I'm not even sure I know what I would tell them if I had some kind of trouble.

I've joked with friends, even though it's no laughing matter, that most times I don't know where I am or how I would tell someone if I did and that I don't know how to describe most situations anyhow. I might tell them "I tried to stab person. My stab them all badly. I wait at Jiefang and Xi'an. Please quick come help those person and arrest me."

As a more serious note I do know that there are different numbers for the police, fire department, and medical emergencies, but I only know the number for the police.

As far as supplies go, this topical powder is amazing at stopping bleeding. It can BURN like the dickens but it does what it says. It forms a tough artificial scab wherever it absorbs blood and as far as I know it's just some kind of iron oxide powder, or something. Of course it's not good for everything, but the pack is small. I've always carried it with me since I first used it when I cut the fleshy tip off my left ring finger.

20120220_135426.jpg20120220_135452.jpg

They have it on Taobao.

7. #7 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Serious advice, get a decent international insurance that covers EVERYTHINGincl. emergency evacuations to a hospital / country of your choice.

Had a very nasty accident involving a H-D and a taxi running a red light on Longwu Road (Shanghai) in 1998 and the total medical bills and other costs over the years came up to 580000 US$ (emergency evacuation, surgery, rehab, surgery, rehab, surgery, rehab, overseas trips, etc., etc.++). Everything was covered by insurance incl. trips taken by my spouse during my surgery and rehab overseas. Decent insurance will cost some serious $$$$$'s but better safe than sorry.....

Ride on and stay safe!

8. #8 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Good topic.

If disaster strikes, call someone who knows how to log into your GPS tracking website to find your exact location, and let them coordinate the assistance.

If you can't get a mobile signal, well, you've just gotta wait for the first "putt putt" truck to come along and (hopefully) pick up your carcass.
    Who do they call?

9. #9 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    C-Moto Senior
    Oh yeah the cops are 110, not 011. Hah, I wonder how long I would jibber at some poor person before I figured that out.

Maybe having some good phrases ready in pinyin would help.

I'm hurt.
    I crashed my motorcycle.
    My arm/hand/foot/leg is broken.
    I'm going to freeze to death.
    A farmer tried to poison me with cheap baijiu.

10. #10 Re: Rescue organizations in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,

Serious advice, get a decent international insurance that covers EVERYTHINGincl. emergency evacuations to a hospital / country of your choice.

Had a very nasty accident involving a H-D and a taxi running a red light on Longwu Road (Shanghai) in 1998 and the total medical bills and other costs over the years came up to 580000 US$ (emergency evacuation, surgery, rehab, surgery, rehab, surgery, rehab, overseas trips, etc., etc.++). Everything was covered by insurance incl. trips taken by my spouse during my surgery and rehab overseas. Decent insurance will cost some serious $$$$$'s but better safe than sorry.....

Ride on and stay safe!
    Great advice but who do you call to get you out so then you can start accessing your insurance especially if your in a remote area of China which most people want to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast