Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Zongshen

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Zongshen 
    They also have this scooter with a 175cc 10hp engine for $1,300.00 USD

If they can offer those at those prices across Mexico then there really is no reason they cannot do the same in the USA for about the same prices.

2. #42 Re: Zongshen 
    Here is an example of a 'local' one being sold on the US side of the border, but 50 miles west in El Centro, CA...

http://imperial.craigslist.org/mcy/2884965886.html

However, I am assuming that it is Mexican plated, but I should try to call to see where it is registered.

3. #43 Re: Zongshen 
    Motocicletas Italika Signs Distribution Deal with Wal-Mart in Mexico
    20/12/2011 | By: Dennis Chung

Mexico’s largest motorcycle manufacturer has reached a new distribution agreement with Wal-Mart to offer its motorcycles and scooters across Mexico.

Motociclestas Italika, which claims a 63% share of the Mexican motorcycle market, will offer its FT150GT motorcycle (pictured above) and its GS150 scooter at 200 Wal-Mart Supercenter locations across Mexico. Italika’s FT110 and FT125 Sport motorcycles and DS150 scooter will also be offered at 500 locations of the Wal-Mart-owned discount chain Bodega Aurrera.

“Our commitment is to offer Italika transportation to more families in Mexico and the rest of Latin America,” says Alberto Tanus, Italika chief executive officer. “We will continue to grow our sales network to expand the benefits of Italika to more consumers.”

Italika also has a distribution deal with select Sam’s Club stores in Mexico, offering models such as its DM150 supermoto, FT150 standard and GTS175 and CS125 scooters.

[Source: Motociclestas Italika]

4. #44 Re: Zongshen 
    I cannot find a WMI for Italika.I searched on its name, no results searched on Toluca, which according to their website is the city were they assemble the motorcycle.

I did find that they are hiring though.
    http://empleo.trovit.com.mx/italika-toluca

5. #45 Re: Zongshen 
    hahah, here are some lined up on a street in Mexico... one of the comment were that it makes it easy for the garbage men to pick them up.

6. #46 Re: Zongshen 
    They are just low cost bikes, here is another video typical new owner that has to show you all the basic features.

The bikes have a gauge cluster that are a copy of the Suzuki gauges used on the GN250, they have a indicator that is like a string of lights, moves along from left to right as you shift….12345. Its a nice cluster, does not looks as cheap as some and has a decent retro look.

Comment on the video reflect a mixed review. Seems that perception are that the CG125 engines are good…but the larger displacement are not as good? That could be because the only difference is a cylinder displacement and the bigger simple burns up and looses compression, that or the transmission and clutch are overworked with the engines increased hp and torque? Things everybody has or should have figured out by now…the metallurgy is not superior and the tolerance not tight…the cheaper are cheaply made. Some engines may have been internally beefed up and some may only be a bored out copy of a Honda CG125.
    Italika is doing pretty good job hiding its suppliers.

7. #47 Re: Zongshen 

8. #48 Re: Zongshen 
    I remember that Rato might have been an OEM, at least at some point and at least for their 150cc enduro/motard...maybe not, but I remember Rato's old website touting a connection. Now, they claim that they do business with seveal countries, including Mexico, so I am sure some of their poducts are rebadged as Italika.

9. #49 Re: Zongshen 
    I am indifferent to Wal-Mart selling motorcycles, they do have Auto Service Center though and that would or could be linked to supporting them.

My first thought of free standing buildings in out lots of a Wal-Marts having all the models on display and also a service and parts department.

They would very likely get attacked for doing that in the USAconsumer activists groups would and the existing dealer networks for sure would put a giant cross-hair on them.

Most of the offering for Chinese power sports are currently flying under the radar today. A high profile already controversial company like Wal-Mart would very likely be gleefully attacked by many if they entered another market segment in the USA.

Attempting to sell through retail is nothing new, SEARS offered motorcycles for a while under the Allstate brand, they sourced them from European suppliers.

So did Montgomery Wards, they offered Benelli models under the Riverside brand.

10. #50 Re: Zongshen 
    I also like the Zanella Sapucai...Honda never realized how many 125cc sales they were missing out on?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast