Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Legality of LEDs on motorcycle in uk? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hello again. I was thinking about modding my bike with some red LED strips but before I do I'd like to make sure that it's 100% legal. I was going to put LEDs under both wheel fairings/mud guards, under the fuel tank, on the end of the exhaust and around the front headlight. I'm not sure if these would be legal or not because they will be red and they might look too much like break lights or something. I can't find any information on this on google.

2. #2 Re: Legality of LEDs on motorcycle in uk? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Ok I've found out that red LEDs aren't allowed near the front but allowed on the rear of a vehicle but what about the middle where the engine is? would that be allowed?

3. #3 Re: Legality of LEDs on motorcycle in uk? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ive done this to my 125 under the tank in red , looks pretty cool but if i was u would go on the dvla website i did do research into myself but i cant remember all the details , something about the lights can only be a certian colour to imatate the amergancey services, i would stear clear of strobing or flashing lights and i wouldnt use blue ones either

4. #4 Re: Legality of LEDs on motorcycle in uk? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I think the law states that you can only have white lights at the front, amber in the middle or on the sides and red at the rear. Blue and green are not permitted as emergency vehicles use them, flashing and strobing lights aren't permitted because they are too distracting and would look too much like emergency vehicle lights. Red lights under the fuel tank are probably fine if they aren't visible from the front alough you could still get pulled over for them. These rules don't apply if the vehicle is parked or off-road, you can do whatever you like then.

Chronicz do you use them while riding? how long have you been using them? and have you ever been pulled over or told off by the police for having them on?
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

5. #5 Re: Legality of LEDs on motorcycle in uk? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I had blue ones on my moped when i was 16 (now 19) and i used to ride everywhere and night with them on but i used to turn them off if i see a police car or policeman , and my red ones on my 125 i only had them on for about 3-4 rides then i done a engine rebuild but i just left them on all the time , its one of them things that u just need to be carefull about as it gives police a insentive to pull you over, i think the main issue like you say is them being mistaking for police lights or being mistaken for brake lights (in the eyes of the law)

6. #6 Re: Legality of LEDs on motorcycle in uk? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    i would proberly end up getting pulled over for riding with them on tbh ....my neon.jpg

7. #7 Re: Legality of LEDs on motorcycle in uk? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hi mate i just in need some Motorcycle parts and one of that is the LED strips. can you tell me where did you buy yours?

8. #8 Re: Legality of LEDs on motorcycle in uk? 
    C-Moto Guru
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=251053240673

If you buy them in lots of 2 they are a lot cheaper.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.