Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    As with many things here, if you don't make an issue, there's no issue . Nobody seems to care about the trailer, probably because we use the auto-toll at the expressway entry and exits. I don't want to know what happens if one of the bikes goes flying off the back into a black santana, even if the trailer is regd & insured, you're still f$#@ked. So far, the CT0302A is a great deal, I've put over 2100 kilometers on it and all is well.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #12 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaunedoe View Post
    Attachment 6414hi, just wondering if any of you guys in china have ever seen on the road similar equipments to that motorbike carrier attached to the back of a truck/suv proposed by http://www.mototote.com/motorcycle-c...arrier-us.html
    i tried to get into the traffic police station to ask if it was authorized... but as usual, when they don't know they prefer to say it is not...!
    I have the same set-up with carrier (even the car is the same ) waiting for me in the garage.
    I just have some difficulties to get an 700lbs tongue weight hitch here for a reasonable price.
    The bike carriers are made in China, and I just traced down the original manufacturer, then bought a sample for 80USD.
    I am sure that for this set-up, there simply is no regulation in the law. Show me the cop who can prove it is illigal .

I furhter got a friend who runs his trackbike to and from the F-1 circuit, on a modified boat trailer.
    He just takes the highway, pays the car fee, and is good with it, never stopped.

3. #13 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    Banned
    Originally Posted by 998S
    I furhter got a friend who runs his trackbike to and from the F-1 circuit, on a modified boat trailer.
    He just takes the highway, pays the car fee, and is good with it, never stopped.

G'Day,

Should be even easier with an ETC in the car, I am tempted to get a trailer hitch and a trailer.

FYI: tried to enter the G15 on my bike the other day with the cars ETC unit in the jacket pocket, what a drama was started at the HuQingPing Highway / G15 entrance (entrance direction Ningbo / Huzhou).......

4. #14 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    I am sure that for this set-up, there simply is no regulation in the law. Show me the cop who can prove it is illigal .
    I think it comes down to that line in the vehicle registration laws that states "ANY MODIFICATION" to a motor vehicle in China is illegal. I've had to pull everything from bumpers to handguards off of bikes and cars over the years to get them re-registered.

Doubt you would have a problem.... unless you bring your car to the registry with your moto on the back .

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #15 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    FYI: tried to enter the G15 on my bike the other day with the cars ETC unit in the jacket pocket, what a drama was started at the HuQingPing Highway / G15 entrance (entrance direction Ningbo / Huzhou).......
    OK, TB, you're not going to get away with starting that story and not finishing it!!

thanks in advance!

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #16 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    The bike carriers are made in China, and I just traced down the original manufacturer, then bought a sample for 80USD.
    wanna share with us? ;)

7. #17 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaunedoe View Post
    wanna share with us? ;)
    Yes, you can always PM me.

One word of advise, you need a car fitted with at least a 700 lbs. tongue weight hitch. Most OEM and aftermarket hitches are not.

The main load on the hitch will be vertical, and with the weight of the bike plus the carrier, plus the dynamic loads, you are balancing at the upper limits already.

Also, hitches with fixed balls don't work, you need the open version, where the carrier can be slided in.

trailer_8.jpg DSC00533_enl.jpg

8. #18 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    Yes, you can always PM me.

One word of advise, you need a car fitted with at least a 700 lbs. tongue weight hitch. Most OEM and aftermarket hitches are not.

The main load on the hitch will be vertical, and with the weight of the bike plus the carrier, plus the dynamic loads, you are balancing at the upper limits already.

Also, hitches with fixed balls don't work, you need the open version, where the carrier can be slided in.

trailer_8.jpg DSC00533_enl.jpg

Hi Chaps,

In Guangdong & looking to pick up a hitch receiver for a Nissan Paladin so I can fit a bike carrier, to avoid going down the trailer route. (Attract less attention..). I wanted to pick up a Curt receiver (easy assembly to a Nissan Xterra, Paladin equivalent, in the US) that I can fit to my Paladin but all US suppliers for the various OEM brands on the market I've tried, will not ship to China. Now looking at hand carrying back from the US. Initial check with airlines is telling me it will be pricey due to size (not so much weight being the problem, as off shelf receivers can be less than 20Kg - more of a size problem I guess) and I'm not sure about getting it across the border from Hong Kong either..

Any of you guys know a hitch supplier in China that supply or can custom build hitches for a particular truck ? I'm desperate, so now looking at getting one made up in a back street metal-shop which isn't the best but as far as I can find out, the only solution.

998S - you know a supplier here where a bike carrier like the one on the image above can be picked up ?

Cheers

9. #19 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    I heard (but have not seen) that there is a "local" made hitch reciever for my car.
    But even the guys telling me that, were already mentioning the quality is not good.
    If you consider the load, as well as the momentum you create by putting a 200kg bike + the weight of the carrier on the hitch (arm at 1 meter), you know you really need a good construction.

I am sure not only the carriers, but also a lot of hitch receivers are made in China.
    As long you find the OEM maker you should be ok, but if you end up with a copy, you might be screwed.
    Not a nice view to see your precious bike flying off after hitting one porthole too much.

PM me on the maker.

10. #20 Re: Motorcycle Carrier on the back of a truck - China 
    Cool - Cheers.

Am continuing the search - will post anything I find that might be of interest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast