Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Need help buying a second hand bike! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey guys,

So I'm on a shortish vacation here in China, I've now got my motorcycle license and I need to get a bike. There's no way I can get it in my name as I don't have a long enough Visa or residence permit. I've tried asking at all the dealers around Guilin and no one that has anything I want is willing to register in their name. I've gotta buy second hand. I know there's been a number of posts on this, and I swear I've read them all, but I'm still confused on two things. (1) If I'm keeping the bike in the original owner's name, how are people (police, disputes with original owner) gonna know that I bought the bike and am now the rightful owner? (2) What is the inspection procedure required to keep plates/registration legit?

(1) I know there is something called the fapiao, which will have to be kept in the original owner's name. Also the registration for the plates, which again will have to stay in the original owner's name. Next there's insurance, which as I understand can easily be bought in my name. I've seen some people mention a transfer form or sales receipt, what is this? I'm buying off some random person, so I can't see myself getting any kind of receipt. If there is a transfer form I can fill out I would really like to know. Otherwise do people just draw up a contract on their own? I'd definitely like to have something saying that I own the bike.

(2) I was under the impression that bikes have to be inspected every year in order for their plates/registration to stay valid. But I've seen bikes whose owners say their plates are good for nearly another two years (these bikes are around a year old). Could someone please tell me what the situation here is? I'm going on a trip after I buy the bike and won't be returning to that city when I finish, so this is quite important for me as once the plates expire on this thing that's it.

Actually I'm just about to relocate to Chongqing as I can't find anything decent in Guilin. The enduro market is pretty dry here. If anyone is based in Chongqing and could provide some local assistance/advice that would be amazing!

Thanks
    Last edited by Max Power; 02-26-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling