Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    What is needed in the EPA database is a field for testing, that being who submitted the application, that being who actually did the tests. Then as for the other identifiers they should be only propagated from the information that comes through the SAE and subsequently the filings with the NHSTA. That being the required legal disclosure of who actually manufactures it and who is the legal entity distributing it.

So that may require going into the federal regulations and adding a section, I could do that and eventually submit it to congress. Simply explaining that these agencies are at odds and this change would synchronize them.

Before getting an EPA certificate a product must have an assigned WMI and listed in the WMI database.
    Then that certificate cannot be issued until that WMI has a VIN decoding document and a statement of the agent of process. That agent of process should also require validation in each state systems respectively. Which is typically a license issued by that states office of Secretary of State.

2. #22 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    I cannot realize how they stay in business, I have yet to see one of their bike show up for sale through a distributor.

The engine showing up in a Puzey bike surprised me, but it has a carburetor the approved version for the USA has sequential fuel injection. The drop shippers will not touch it, it is to complex for them.

I wonder what they cost?

3. #23 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    C-Moto Guru
    In the autumn of last year, I inquired Puzey about the XTR4 with the 300cc, liquid-cooled engine. Researching the bike brought me to this site, and the Skyteam Raptor 250 I bought eventually.

Anyway, here is the response from Mike Puzey himself:

Hi Krasi
    Thanks for the mail. It is clear you do your homework. In short the XTR-4 is the 4th generation bike I have made, it is the limit of what is possible from china I can confirm that it is just not possible to get better parts and people good enough to make a better bike over there. The 300 is good but I have no plans to make XTR-5 in china yet. Yes we do all the RND in SA where we can test and race the bikes. I’m making the 300 2 stroke here next year.

This bike is “around 2100 US” (depending on the model) from the factory if we ship direct to you containers. It is significantly better that any other fongkong garbage that one sees out there from china.

Has shows forks – Copy KLX 300 engine – Ni Chrome barrel – 118 KG std with no fuel but had BIG battery, water bottle and fan STD – Copy WP rear shock – Molly steel frame and CNC parts holding it together – 7000 alloy rims and other parts – Water proof air box - Sport silencer STD with removable insets - Cam suspension to raise or lower the seat – Brake

Overall it is a great bike and NOT much different from any top brands. In short a great package for the money as you will see if you get one. Makes a fantastic MTD, in SA we sell 8 out of 10 in MTD trim

Hope this helps you
    Yours
    Mike Puzey

Then I went on to see if I can register it here, and was communicating with Kerry Puzey. She's top notch! Answered all my questions and sent me lots and lots of details: crate dimensions, VIN pictures, certificates for mirrors, lights, etc.

In the end it turned out that here, in Bulgaria, I can't register a new bike that hasn't got a CE certificate. Bummer! Last communication from Kerry was that the factory will finilize the CE certification in 2012.

As soon as they get the certificate I'm getting one of those 300cc motards :)

4. #24 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    dear MJH

is this company ,puzey , a manufacturer or some sort of distributer or dealer ?

5. #25 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    Nima I think Krasi clarified it?

It is interesting that they are coping the KLX300, the images posted on Alibaba have the engines labeled with Loncin on them.
    I really doubt they licensed those through Kawasaki Heavy Industry.

This image is on the Puzey website.

KLX 300

6. #26 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    It looks like they managed to put the 500cc single into the same frame. I heard that the Asiawing engine gear case breaks down.
    There was an importer I believe in Ecuador that was selling them and went off on the engine being total crap.

I wonder how big of an empire can be built on stolen intellectual property?

7. #27 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    $2,100.00?

8. #28 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    I am not a patent attorney, but most things manufactured inside of the last 20 years may have a patent on them. So if manufacturing something that has an active patent, without rights, can in some countries get you sued in civil court. Then in some other countries, I believe France and Austria, it can even get you thrown into jail, I have read that in some countries it is actually criminal.

Considering that, you then can begin to understand in part why there are so many names being used, so many brands and so little documentation could be because providing that would bring about evidence of a patent violation.

Most of what is coming out of the Chinese motorcycle industry is old technology, I am not entirely sure of the length of patent rights but if they are 20 years then anything before 1992 would be considered open.

However patents have to be enforce, they have to be filed and maintained and are annually renewed.

You or any one could troll patents and even negotiate buying them and then offer only the rights to one manufacturer and subsequently sue the violators and their agents. Those are called Patent Trolls, they are waiting for critical mass to form and then will come out in force. They will suck the capital out of offenders, because violations are retroactive, that being once caught all proceeds for the entire durations are considered recoverable damages.

So it is possible that the KLX 300 was patented before 1992? Then if so they have to make sure it had no revisions and no new patents filed. That is why you sometimes hear the expression older version of an engine.
    That being the copy is of a version that’s patent expired, but the original manufacturer updated the engine and subsequently patented the upgrade.

I think that small manufacturers fly under the radar, but if they are all sourcing out of one big one then collectively all of them can be sued.

What is needed is digital filing and to set scales and then analysis of specification to insure that nobody is stealing designs and also that new entrance is not prevented. Before any certificates get offered that should be done first, it should be the first order of operation check for a patents existence.

China dances on the line and crosses it often, it is boiling pot and eventually some are going to get burned.

9. #29 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    now my question is : if we want to import this products (a sample up to 250 cc) which company is in charge ? who we need to contact with ? a name or an official website

10. #30 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    It is in the first post on the thread the link is there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast