Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    I though it was banned in Iran, it is a 300cc.

2. #32 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    yes it seems that they discontinued the 250 models and jump from 200 to 300 and so on

but i think galaxy is still working on the XTR 250 aircold and it can be sold in iran (shit we can't even ride a 300 china bike in this country )

3. #33 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima Naderi View Post
    ... (shit we can't even ride a 300 china bike in this country )
    Dear Nima,

What happens if someone shows up at the border on a 600cc chinabike ? Here's a post in another forum that posts the question regarding Carnet de Passages en Douane (for the not-unimportant purpose of liability insurance, mainly) but does not address the question of whether bikes displacing more than 250cc are even allowed entry.

I suppose it's another question altogether if the rider on the 600cc chinabike is carry a US passport......

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #34 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    if your bike carry more than 250 cc ( even 250 it self .it must be 249.3156511615 f***king crazy) engine you cant register it and u cant have number attached

so if they cache you in highways or anywhere else you are in trouble (even with us pass) you broke the law and u must be punished

they cut your both hands and foots and anything between ... hehehe just joking :)))

they put your bike some where like a war house .if u are lucky u can leave the police station that night .then you have to prove that this bike pay it's tax

and entered the country (we have a piece of paper doin that) after that it is bribery time .the most important part of doing anything successfully even when you didn't broke laws....

in most cases depend on which organization cache you ( we have several police departments ) u wont see your bike again but in some cases u have a chance to do so

for cross bikes u have to register your name in motorcycle federation and they give you a paper indicating that u own a kawasaki kxf 450 with frame and engine numbers on it

also the vehicles identity that u carry ur bike with ... then u can jump in several tracks around capital .

for race bikes the first part is the same but u can only ride it from ur house to track and reverse .they have some special events that several bikes can travel between cities or in capital highways

but it need some paper work in motorcycle federation to arrange .

this on is for natives but for your case i saw a lot of bikers with big bikes passing iran but i dont know the policy and what has to be done . i think they arrange with embassy or something like that ....

5. #35 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Damn, Nima, sounds a lot like what we put up with here in China.... But in any case, you clearly are getting the most from your sub-250cc bike, which is a great way to make it through the day!

I'm not planning a trip anytime soon, but it's definitely high on my list. I'll start nosing around to see if I can found out the regulations. I won't do whatever it was that those American hikers did a few years ago!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #36 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I am not a patent attorney, but most things manufactured inside of the last 20 years may have a patent on them. So if manufacturing something that has an active patent, without rights, can in some countries get you sued in civil court. Then in some other countries, I believe France and Austria, it can even get you thrown into jail, I have read that in some countries it is actually criminal.

Considering that, you then can begin to understand in part why there are so many names being used, so many brands and so little documentation could be because providing that would bring about evidence of a patent violation.

Most of what is coming out of the Chinese motorcycle industry is old technology, I am not entirely sure of the length of patent rights but if they are 20 years then anything before 1992 would be considered open.

However patents have to be enforce, they have to be filed and maintained and are annually renewed.

You or any one could troll patents and even negotiate buying them and then offer only the rights to one manufacturer and subsequently sue the violators and their agents. Those are called Patent Trolls, they are waiting for critical mass to form and then will come out in force. They will suck the capital out of offenders, because violations are retroactive, that being once caught all proceeds for the entire durations are considered recoverable damages.

So it is possible that the KLX 300 was patented before 1992? Then if so they have to make sure it had no revisions and no new patents filed. That is why you sometimes hear the expression older version of an engine.
    That being the copy is of a version that’s patent expired, but the original manufacturer updated the engine and subsequently patented the upgrade.

I think that small manufacturers fly under the radar, but if they are all sourcing out of one big one then collectively all of them can be sued.

What is needed is digital filing and to set scales and then analysis of specification to insure that nobody is stealing designs and also that new entrance is not prevented. Before any certificates get offered that should be done first, it should be the first order of operation check for a patents existence.

China dances on the line and crosses it often, it is boiling pot and eventually some are going to get burned.
    Sniffing around the net for Puzey bikes, I think I came across a forum posting (Supermoto Junkie maybe?) saying that the patents have 15-year validity, and the KLX300 came out in about 1996-1997, so the patents in it have expired. No idea how accurate is that, though.

7. #37 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    The importance of granting monopolies for new inventions has been recognized in the United States since the adoption of the U.S. Constitution. In Article I, section 8, the U.S. Constitution:

Congress shall have power . . . To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries.

Patents in the United States are governed by the Patent Act (35 U.S. Code), which established the United States Patent and Trademark Office (the USPTO). The most common type of patent is a utility patent. Utility patents have a duration of twenty years from the date of filing, but are not enforceable until the day of issuance. Design patents protect ornamental designs. Plant patents protect new varieties of asexually reproducing plants.

To obtain protection under U.S. law, the applicant must submit a patent application to the USPTO, where it will be reviewed by an examiner to determine if the invention is patentable. U.S. law grants to patentees the right to exclude others from making, using, or selling the invention.

It would not be necessarily be the engine that is patented, it could have patented components though? Many engines across manufactures often contain component parts that have patents. There are many engineers that sell into the industry, they patent revisions on the 4-stroke engines and often they are adopted across manufacturers.

The trolls are the same people that sell the patent searches, that being a manufacturer will pay them to seek revisions or also insure the rights of a revision. They know if it is in breach and will wait to see how many they sell in breach and then file an action to recuperate the lost revenue.

8. #38 Re: Puzey Motor Corporation 
    That is why they have to be careful, the introduction of a model in 1997 does not exclude it from having patents to its engine and since it is only 14 years old it could legitimately have patented engine components. Only an exact copy of a 1992 or earlier year model can be manufactured with out possibility of patent infringement.

However if no patent is filled or offered, then there is no restrictions other then those of a trademark or copyright on the brand name. They cannot say it is a copy of a Kawasaki engine, for example.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234