Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Since when is China ruled by laws?

cheers

TIC

We love it and hate it at the same time.

2. #12 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    lived 6 months in qingpu, its roads are good for motorcycles, new highways, not much cars, almost none. good for speed test and great for travelling to suzhou.

3. #13 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    OK, just for fun, I looked up the PRC Highway Traffic Safety Law (中华人民共和国道路交通安全法) and the PRC Highway Traffic Safety Law Implementation Regulations (中华人民共和国道路交通安全法实施条例).

There are altogether 13 mentions of motorcycles. (I've supplied euphonial translations for some but not all.)
    The Law makes only one mention of motorcycles, in Chapter 4, paragraph 51:

第五十一条 机动车行驶时,驾驶人、乘坐人员应当按规定使用安全带,摩托车驾驶人及乘坐人员应当按规定戴安全头盔。Wh en a motor vehicle is in motion, the driver and passengers must wear safety belts in accordance with regulations; motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear helmets in accordance with regulations.

The other 12 mentions are in the Implementation Regulations
    Chapter 2, Section 1, Paragraph 16 regarding mandatory registration and maintenance checks, Line 4

(四)摩托车4年以内每2年检验1次;超过4年的,每年检验1次;Within the first 4 years motorcycles must be checked every 2 years; after 4 years they must be checked annually.

Chapter 4, Section 2, Paragraph 44

第四十四条 在道路同方向划有2条以上机动车道的,左侧为快速车道,右侧为慢速车道。在快速车道行驶的机动车应当按照快 速车道规定的速度行驶,未达到快速车道规定的行驶速度的,应当在慢速车道行驶。摩托车应当在最右侧车道行驶 。有交通标志标明行驶速度的,按照标明的行驶速度行驶。慢速车道内的机动车超越前车时,可以借用快速车道行 驶。On roadways with two or more lanes in the same direction, the left lane is the fast lane and the right lane is the slow lane. Vehicles in the fast lane should abide by fast lane regulations, and vehicles that do not keep up the permitted fast lane speed should use the slow lanes. Motorcycles should drive in the rightmost lane. Where traffic signs show a posted speed, drive the posted speed. Vehicles in the slow lane may use the fast lane for overtaking.

Chapter 4, Section 2, Paragraph 4 has several rules, one about the size of loads that motorcycles are permitted to carry; one that forbids children under 12 years old from riding pillion and forbids "lightweight" motorcycles from carrying pillions at all; one that forbids motorcycles to pull other vehicles or be pulled by other vehicles; and one that forbids motorcyclists from removing their hands from the handlebar or hanging objects from the handlebar.

Chapter 4, Section 4, Paragraph 77 has a rule saying that motorcycle riders must ride facing forward (love that one!)

Finally, drum roll please...

Chapter 5, titled Special Regulations for Expressways (第五节 高速公路的特别规定)

In Paragraph 78
    On the expressway, the maximum speed for small passenger vehicles must not exceed 120 kilometers per hour, other motor vehicles must not exceed 100 kilometers per hour, and motorcycles must not exceed 80 kilometers per hour. 在高速公路上行驶的小型载客汽车最高车速不得超过每小时120公里,其他机动车不得超过每小时100公里, 摩托车不得超过每小时80公里。

In Paragraph 83
    When driving on the expressway, vehicles carrying freight must not carry passengers in the cargo compartment. When driving on the expressway, motorcycles must not carry passengers. 第八十三条 在高速公路上行驶的载货汽车车厢不得载人。两轮摩托车在高速公路行驶时不得载人。

The expressway section also sets the maximum and minimum speeds at 120 kph and 60 kph, so it seems motorcycles are restricted to riding at 60-80 kph. That sucks.

But that's everything. There is nothing in either document banning motorcycles from the expressways.

Now, to throw a spanner in the works, I see now that many provinces do have their own "implementation methods" (实施办法) that probably do have specific prohibitions, but I'm not going to dig them out lest I get too depressed.

Ignorance is bliss.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #14 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    OK, just for the hell of it, I did go through all nine pages of the Zhejiang Implementation Method and, while I found 19 references to motorcycles, none was a ban on riding on the expressway, unless I missed one in my haste.

Zhejiang is the province where police have been known to put down spikes on the expressway to stop motorcycles, somewhere in or near Hangzhou as I recall.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #15 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru
    Couldn't sleep last night, Euphonius? Regardless of that I really appreciate your posts.
    Ignorance IS bliss. TIC and I look forward to having a heated discussion with one of the expressway workers about why the Chinese people 'in charge?' even wrote a set of road rules in the first place if they were only going to be rewritten (differently) in every single province.
    I want to try your tactic of getting right up to the gate and getting wedged in by a big articulated truck so that I can't back out and they'll have to let me in to restore the flow of vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

Zhejiang is the province where police have been known to put down spikes on the expressway to stop motorcycles, somewhere in or near Hangzhou as I recall.

cheers
    Jesus Christ.

A = That's almost as bad as shooting at us to stop us.
    B = The government gives them the slowest police vehicles but does give them spikes? ... ...that kinda makes sense actually.

6. #16 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    So what's the deal with useless China-cars and Expressways? Are they allowed? Or are they shunned?
    They use a motorcycle engine....and wouldn't be able to keep to the minimums up a hill fully loaded.

medium_201003291610244392.jpg
    Type Bullex
    Fuel Gas /
    Displacement >250cc
    Engine Type 4-Stroke
    Max. Speed > 80km/h (surely not with passengers!)
    Certification CCC
    Condition New
    Brand Name Bullex
    Place of Origin Shandong, China (Mainland)
    Model Number JB600ZK-F1
    Brake(F/R) Suzuki
    Passenger Vehicle JB600ZK-F1

7. #17 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru

Is that really a 250cc?

8. #18 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru
    You can at least try to make them lose face, by telling them and/or their superior: "It turns out a laowei knows the Chinese traffic rules better than him/her!" Or occupy one of the toll gates for a while, and don't care about the line of vehicles behind you (chinese style)!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

9. #19 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    occupy one of the toll gates for a while, and don't care about the line of vehicles behind you (chinese style)!
    Spot on Barry . That's exactly what I'd like to do.
    I've prepared a small speech that should go something like this:

"I'm very sorry. My Chinese isn't very good... it takes me a while to understand why you personally create new laws that contradict the written laws that I worked very hard to understand while learning how to pass your written driving test.
    I'm sorry what? I know there is a large queue behind me...
    What? Yes I still don't understand...
    ...Look, it would be much easier and faster if you just let me on.
    What?
    Ok thanks... (they let me on because there are a line of trucks behind me causing a gridlock).

10. #20 Re: Motorbikes / Expressways 
    Banned
    G'Day,

The bike on expressway ban is not isolated to Shanghai region, see attached pictures taken during the last three days while i was over in Jiangsu province (Nanjing / Changzhou).
    ***took the car before someone asks***

I love them police car / cop dummies sitting along the Shanghai - Nanjing expressway (G42), definitely need some for my garage!
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast