Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    C-Moto Guru
    Even for the drivers license I am sure they counted if I still had 90 days left on my visa. A friend of mine just had to postpone getting his drivers license for car because of this rule, he will have to wait till he gets a new 1-year work visa. The "need to wait 1 year before you can do your next driving license" rule is correct indeed.

So it looks like in Xiaguan they only know half of the rules. Seems like you've been already lucky that they even let you apply for a drivers license on a 1-month visa! Maybe you will be lucky registering the bike in your name too over there. They are defenitely not applying the correct rules over there, perhaps the mail pigeon carrying the new rules hasn't reached them yet.

Good luck!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

2. #22 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Even for the drivers license I am sure they counted if I still had 90 days left on my visa. A friend of mine just had to postpone getting his drivers license for car because of this rule, he will have to wait till he gets a new 1-year work visa. The "need to wait 1 year before you can do your next driving license" rule is correct indeed.

So it looks like in Xiaguan they only know half of the rules. Seems like you've been already lucky that they even let you apply for a drivers license on a 1-month visa! Maybe you will be lucky registering the bike in your name too over there. They are defenitely not applying the correct rules over there, perhaps the mail pigeon carrying the new rules hasn't reached them yet.

Good luck!
    So if I understand it right, to register a motorbike on your name you need a one year visa. For me that means, like michaloonie, to go to Hong Kong and get one there. Thats quite some fuss for a registration. Does anyone know anything about the other options like registrating the motorbike on some elses name? How does that work out on border crossings? Our main goal is to get to europe on any way, which by my experience is best on a motorbike :) The shineray xy200gy-7 looks perfect for the job! The dealer in kunming offered me one for 14,700 incl registration :S I see in dali its much cheaper, did you have to wait the 2 weeks ordering time?

3. #23 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Good luck!
    Interesting.... I'll look into it further. It's such a frustrating thing to have to deal with.. I have a nice bike waiting for me in a dealership. The police told me I could go ahead and buy the bike because the license and registration would be no problem. I feel sorry for this country.

4. #24 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bartez88 View Post
    .... I see in dali its much cheaper, did you have to wait the 2 weeks ordering time?
    The dealer actually has no idea how long it takes till he gets the bikes - they told me 4 weeks, after a week or so he called me very excited that everything is there.
    Do you deal with Mr Li, or Zhao Feng?

5. #25 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    There's no point arguing about this stuff guys. Rules are ignored more than followed, this is China! One of my (foreign) friends has a license because he teaches the daughter of a senior Gong An officer. This was only about a year ago in a 3rd tier city! Plead/beg/pay/manipulate for what you can get. The rules may be fully enforced, or they may not be, just depends where you are and who you talk to. Sometimes if you live in BJ/SH it appears that the rules are strict and straightforward as they might be in a western country, but I assure you, this is not really the case.

6. #26 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by andre555 View Post
    The dealer actually has no idea how long it takes till he gets the bikes - they told me 4 weeks, after a week or so he called me very excited that everything is there.
    Do you deal with Mr Li, or Zhao Feng?
    Looks like im dealing with Zhao Feng (赵峰), any experience with him?

@ZMC888: Your right on that one, but its defenitly nice to know other peoples experiences before jumping into the deep end and buying a motorbike in a country youve never been before.

@michaloonie: Keep us updated, im very curious how it will go. Any idea when ur heading back to dali?

7. #27 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    C-Moto Guru
    Looks like im dealing with Zhao Feng (赵峰), any experience with him?...
    He is a lazy bastard - you have to push him hard to get things done, and have some cigarettes handy to keep him going...

For the price of the bike - 14.700 incl registration sounds much too expensive, registration fees and cost (inc Tax) should be less then 2000 + bike at around 8800 - so the Dali pricing is much more realistic. The rest is just foreigner surcharge.
    Check with slabo he mentioned somewhere how much he spend 2 years ago registering his GY7 in Kunming / Anning

Btw thats was the way to register in Kunming 2 years ago:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...unming-Yunnan)
    Depending on your schedule just DIY

8. #28 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    The shineray xy200gy-7 looks perfect for the job! The dealer in kunming offered me one for 14,700 incl registration
    Insane price for a not so great bike.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #29 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Insane price for a not so great bike.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    What do you recommend then? I know the price is very high, there must be better deals around. ive been trying to contact the factory as well, but I only got chinese speaking people on the line.

@andre555: how or where can I contact Mr Li? I read the post about DIY registration, very good info, but then you need the 180 days visa or a "friend" where you can register it on his name. I was thinking to put in on the dealers name.

10. #30 Re: China to Spain, May 2012 
    C-Moto Guru

@andre555: how or where can I contact Mr Li? I read the post about DIY registration, very good info, but then you need the 180 days visa or a "friend" where you can register it on his name. I was thinking to put in on the dealers name.
    One of the numbers is Mr Li:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ng+li+shineray

He is at the Shineray/Honda shop on the southern end of the shops. They are affiliated with Zhao Feng and his special "Shineray *bling* Stuff" shop, so you need to trick them to restart the discussion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast