Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    It's not easy to find decent biker gear everywhere in China. There's plenty of gear but what, exactly, will do the job you expect it to? What are the options? This is a summary of what little experience I have here. With any luck the other China riders will share their experiences too.
    I trust Tanked Racing. They don’t just sell in China, they sell in the UK, the USA and all over the world. Their products are not too cheap or too expensive and they’re easily available in my area so it's my choice of gear.
    Head protection is at the top of my list so I wear a helmet, while riding, all year round. Besides saving your skull from an accident - that we all hope will never happen - it also:
    A: stops bugs and road debris from getting in your eyes.
    B: blocks the wind or at least most of it
    C: protects your head from the dirt and pollution keeping your hair and face clean
    D: it may also protect you from the unseen: a small bird, in my case, while doing over 120kph

Until now I’d been wearing some Fox (fake but a good fake) elbow and knee pads which I wore out on rides. The knee pads saved me from losing some skin when I slid out on gravel two years ago. They were sliced up and unusable afterwards but they did the job and only cost me 40rmb to replace.
    Since then I’ve upgraded my safety gear. I went out one day to buy a set of biker boots and ended up getting four things in total:
    1: Leather boots T05009
    2: Shin and knee guards TP604
    3: Upper thigh and buttocks protector TP752
    4: Upper body armour TP717

All items are Tanked and listed on this site http://www.tanked-racing.cn/products...ge=2&Classid=0
    Here are my personal photos.
    DSCN1533.jpgDSCN1532.jpg

2. #2 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    1: Leather boots
    Until now I'd been riding with hiking boots and sometimes old sneakers. The new boots are heavy and they desensitize my feeling for the shift pedal. I'm almost used to this though and had I been wearing them at the same time I was hit by a car they might have reduced some of the bruising on my calf muscle.
    I've been told that these were a steal at 280rmb. The same pair back in the UK could've been around 1000rmb. No VAT in China .
    Walked around in them all day to wear them in. Feels like wearing skiing boots. Painful but necessary.

DSCN1530.jpgDSCN1527.jpg DSCN1528.jpgDSCN1529.jpg

3. #3 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Took overseas visitors to the Hongqiao Pearl City Market (aka fake market, really hate these fake market places) the other day and one of the shops sold BELSTAFF jackets, sleeves too short and the protectors sit in the wrong place.
    Attached Images

4. #4 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    2: Shin and knee guards
    Comfortable, good coverage and tuck nicely into the boots.
    I'm not an expert with materials: What does this look like to you? It's hard but also a little flimsy.
    I'm guessing they should give a dozen or so meters of road rash protection.

DSCN1526.jpg

5. #5 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    3: Upper thigh and buttocks protector
    I've usually walked away with bruises around my hips or a huge pain in my coccyx from landing on my arse after coming off the bike. This bit of gear seems to have all those areas covered but I've yet to test it out.
    I think this would be suitable for bicycling and skiing as well and motorbike riding.
    Notes:
    Although these are, apparently, part of a set along with the
    'Upper body armour' there is no zip or any other way of connecting them together.
    They are big enough to be worn over a thin pair of trousers, but since they aren't connectable to anything else and would easily slide off in the event I went skating across the road backwards on my posterior I'm going to be wearing them underneath a larger sized pair of jeans (the winter jeans that are big enough to wear over two pairs of thermals). This ought keep them cleaner too.

DSC01384.jpgDSC01383.jpg

6. #6 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    4: Upper body armour
    I've never seen anyone wearing this stuff (in the west or in China) so I sometimes ask myself why I bought it but it replaces my old elbow pads and provides a lot more road-rash protection for the rest of the upper body.

Armour F.jpgArmour B.jpg

7. #7 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    It seems you are much more protected then the average rider in China.
    Wearing protection should be a no-brainer though.
    Even the short ride to the shop on the corner can end in disaster, not only in China.

My biggest concern on all these "loose" body amour should be if it remains on the right places in case of an accident.
    It surely will do in case of a slow speed fall, but it might slide or become loose at any higher speeds, and if you start to slide, roll or tumble.

In such case those hard plastic protectors might break bones in stead of protect them.
    I had an off from my motorbike 2 years ago, fell at relative low speed at the corner of my back-protector (original Berik), which then acted as a kind of lever to break 3, and crush an other 4 of my ribs. Pretty sure that without the protector, I should have walked away. Kind of bad luck I guess.

Anyway, I still believe that leather is the way to go, although it might be hot sometimes.
    Good leather bike gear (at least 1.2mm, and all seams at least 3 times stitched) with integrated protectors, will protect you against road rash, and will keep the protectors in place.
    Good and strong boots will prevent your ankles from breaking, and good gloves will protect you against most of the most horrible and painful experiences.

8. #8 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Finally, my helmets.
    All of the guides that I can find for head-sizing say that a M size helmet is suitable for 56-58cm sized head.
    I'm a 59 and the M is perfect for me, if not, then it's a little too big but I can't find any smaller helmets. I don't want a helmet rattling around on-top of my head and I can't deal with a helmet that will restrict the blood flow. A helmet that causes squashed cheeks and ultimately a funny facial expression while worn is also what I want. The pads inside the helmets are removable and washable but won't stay as firm as they were, brand-new, forever. I only get a little bit of that squashed cheek feeling nowadays.

DSC01389.jpgDSC01398.jpg

There are three open/close-able vents on each helmet that don't really seem to do anything. Maybe they got clogged up with the pollution on the first day I rode with them open.
    My favourite feature is the detachable visor. As soon as your old visor is too scratched up to use you can swap it really easily. The detachment clips are a little tricky to use at first but you get used to them.

9. #9 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    998S
    Sorry to hear about the incident with your back-protector. Really bad luck there.
    The upper body armour, as may not be too clear from the photos I used, features a bunch of straps on each arm that can go pretty tight but apart from that it's just a zip up mesh shirt.
    Another thing; I just found that the back-protector is detachable. Undo two zips, to clips and a couple of Velcro straps and off it goes!
    The back part features a large Velcro cummerbund and two more straps that loop into the front part of the armour. Without it, however, I can see the whole thing getting wrapped around my arms and face as I slide down the road on my back. With it, I may suffer the same fate as you did.

Arm straps.jpgSeperated suit.jpg

If I ever find real leather biker gear with protective plates then I'm going to get it. For now, this is what I have.

10. #10 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    There are a couple of other threads about protective gear for bikers but none specifically about what's accessible in China for those without the means to buy stuff easily from the internet. It's also been a while since anyone posted anything on the older threads.
    Jape. Is this thread ok as it is or should it be merged?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast