Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    How many adventure riders(that's ADV riders all over the world) do you see wearing leather these days.

You would look like a tool riding around on your 200cc Chinese motorcycle in full one piece leathers.

2. #22 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Maux View Post
    OUCH! 998S is that PS or real? I remember I had some brand new deerskin gloves and flopped down on the left side and my left pinky finger was caught under either the clutch lever or grip and it tore a hole in the gloves finger. My finger was intact and actually just fine, I don't even recall any pain, but for my pride.
    Well, sadly it is no PS.
    Happened kind of same as your experience, just a bit more severe.
    The lever or handlebar crushed it, no way to stitch it back on.
    Keeping it in some Beijiu with snakes and other little sneakers, makes for a good drink

Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    How many adventure riders(that's ADV riders all over the world) do you see wearing leather these days.
    You would look like a tool riding around on your 200cc Chinese motorcycle in full one piece leathers.
    Yeah, this is exactly true, it all depends on your ride and circumstances.
    They published an article in the UK last year, in which they concluded that safety is closely related to feeling relaxed.
    Sweating in a hot jacket full of protection might make you so uncomfortable, that a crash might be just around the corner.
    Riding in a T shirt and shorts on a 280 km/h sportbike might make sense after all

However, it is undeniable that a one piece lather suit with professional amour is the best protection you can get.
    From there it is a matter of compromises.

3. #23 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post

Well, sadly it is no PS.
    Happened kind of same as your experience, just a bit more severe.
    The lever or handlebar crushed it, no way to stitch it back on.
    Keeping it in some Beijiu with snakes and other little sneakers, makes for a good drink

Yeah, this is exactly true, it all depends on your ride and circumstances.
    They published an article in the UK last year, in which they concluded that safety is closely related to feeling relaxed.
    Sweating in a hot jacket full of protection might make you so uncomfortable, that a crash might be just around the corner.
    Riding in a T shirt and shorts on a 280 km/h sportbike might make sense after all

However, it is undeniable that a one piece lather suit with professional amour is the best protection you can get.
    From there it is a matter of compromises.

Depends what riding you are doing for sure as you say.Years ago we (moto X ,Enduro and dirt track) were forced (by the rule book) to race in leathers while in the US they had long since switched over to synthetic race wear.When they finally changed the rule and everyone stopped racing in leathers there was no increase in injuries.

The dakar guys don't race in leather(well not many)and their doing some pretty high speeds at times.

Sure if you got a sportsbike and like to go fast full leather is the go.

I have to laugh at my mate back home who has a great struggle zipping up his one piece leathers over his big fat gut and comes home stinking of sweat after riding in summer.I also laugh at him when he stops for coffee or lunch so does everyone else.

Not many sport bike owners in China and certainly not many places in China where you can wind it out.

4. #24 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Not many sport bike owners in China and certainly not many places in China where you can wind it out.
    Right, but if you ride on the road (and I thought that was the basis of the OP, I might be wrong), it does not really make a difference if you hit the concrete from a 200cc or 1000cc bike.

road_rash1.jpg
    ~~No, it is not me~~

You might look and feel like a clown in a 1-piece, but hit the deck once and you might let them laugh...

5. #25 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post

I really don't want to believe that but it's probably true.

Is that photo from china E? Thanks for not posting anything more gorey.

Here's another point for anyone not wearing full gear. Chinese hospitals do not give out pain killers until you have seen a doctor and paid in full. I have given out gloves and helmets to friends who are too stubborn to wear them on warm days. Much better than waiting in line at the hospital, which unfortunately I've also done.

6. #26 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Thanks for the heads up bigdamo. Never heard of those things before.
    On the Leatt website it said the price for a road-bike neck brace would be US$ 419.00 which equals 2 638.85477 Chinese yuan.

I just found those 'Leatt' neck braces on Taobao. They sell between 500rmb and some over 5000rmb.
    The cheap ones have to be fake and I don't know if I'll be getting a real one if I pay 2600 odd rmb for one on Taobao.

I did a little looking around on their website and I'm pretty impressed. I'm just not sure whether or not I'm really going to need one of those if I'm not really doing any professional racing. I know, someone is probably saying "You can never be too safe" but I'm also considering the time when I'm so clogged up with gear that I can't concentrate properly and then get into an accident.

On the other hand, the road-bike neck brace doesn't look heavy or restricting and it could save my neck (pun intended).
    leatt_neck_brace_stx_road_2.jpgleatt_neck_brace_stx_road_1.jpg

P.s. There are a couple selling on Taobao for 3000 and 3500.
    P.s.s. I think I'll ask my dad to get me one from the states.
    Last edited by soberpete; 03-04-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Adding the P.s. and P.s.s.

7. #27 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I've also been looking into these things all night. I'm really hooked and I want one.
    I've sent an email to Dad asking him to pick one of the above braces up for me and bring it with him when he visits China next month.

Has anyone done a thread on one of these yet? If not, I'll do one.
    It is designed to - along with a full-faced helmet - support the neck and spine in the event of severe force to the helmet.
    They state that it can't protect against everything but it will provide some well needed support in the examples below.

ALPT-Image-2011.jpg

Much more info to digest here if interested.
    They don't just do these for street motorcycling, they also do braces for Mx, Enduro, Mountain Biking, BMX, ATV, Kart and Snowmobiling.

8. #28 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Definitely don't get the taobao one.Probably cause more injuries than it is suppose to prevent.The leatt has been out for a few years now I think you either love them or hate them.

9. #29 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Definitely don't get the taobao one.Probably cause more injuries than it is suppose to prevent.The leatt has been out for a few years now I think you either love them or hate them.
    I'll avoid the ones on Taobao. Thanks.
    How do you feel about them?

10. #30 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Quote Originally Posted by soberpete View Post
    I'll avoid the ones on Taobao. Thanks.
    How do you feel about them?
    Hard to say I have never used one.From talking to people who use them they take a little while to get used to but must be set up right.I think the people who don't like them didn't set them up right.

I will probably get one if and when I go back.Riding dirt bikes I think they are another thing to guard off injury as I come off abit.I don't know if I would use it just riding on the road.

Probably use it where I live here due to the roads here(both dirt and tar) being dangerous.For example you can be riding/driving on a good section of tar and then come around the corner and there is pot holes every where and square edge pot holes at that some a foot deep.In a car it is sketchy on a bike it would be just down right dangerous.

I hate square edge pot holes especially the ones were your front wheels drop into.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast