Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    To not explore the dirt roads is just sacrilege.Well up here it is.

Plus most of the tar roads may as well be dirt roads the way they are cut up.
    We ride in the city on mostly very smooth tarmac. Shandong is fairly wealthy and industrial. We go for long rides on very twisty mountain roads which are usually concrete or tar. Nearly all our get-offs have been low-side sub 50 km/h hair-pin drops that are caused by gravel or sand on a tar surface or by us riding beyond the ability of our tires. We need mostly a mixture of impact and abrasion protection. Suggesting clothing best suited to motocross or enduro racing is not helping Pete decide on the best protection for his particular needs.

2. #42 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    We ride in the city on mostly very smooth tarmac. Shandong is fairly wealthy and industrial. We go for long rides on very twisty mountain roads which are usually concrete or tar. Nearly all our get-offs have been low-side sub 50 km/h hair-pin drops that are caused by gravel or sand on a tar surface or by us riding beyond the ability of our tires. We need mostly a mixture of impact and abrasion protection. Suggesting clothing best suited to motocross or enduro racing is not helping Pete decide on the best protection for his particular needs.
    What does Pete ride on or plan to ride on.Then maybe we can point him in the right direction but he has already bought most of his gear.

Just because you ride on very smooth tarmac and I would ride on smooth to cut up tar to hard core dirt perhaps both of us might be wrong to suggest safety gear.

3. #43 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    I see you live in the same city so yeah go and get maybe some full one piece leathers Maybe. Be a shame to spend all your time riding around Zibo though.

4. #44 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Did you actually bother to read my posts. Here is a quote from one "I will probably get one if and when I go back.Riding dirt bikes I think they are another thing to guard off injury as I come off abit.I don't know if I would use it just riding on the road."

I think Pete is intelligent enough to make his own decisions hey.

5. #45 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo
    I see you live in the same city so yeah go and get maybe some full one piece leathers Maybe. Be a shame to spend all your time riding around Zibo though.
    We are both married with young children so its pretty hard to escape outside of Shandong, so I know where Pete will be riding. The summer gets very hot here, so as good protection as leather is, maybe just too hot. I think Kevlar jeans with pads under them and a mesh or leather jacket.

6. #46 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    We are both married with young children so its pretty hard to escape outside of Shandong, so I know where Pete will be riding. The summer gets very hot here, so as good protection as leather is, maybe just too hot. I think Kevlar jeans with pads under them and a mesh or leather jacket.
    Why didn't you tell him that before he went and bought all that gear.I'd say it is a strong bet that you know and ride with each other.

7. #47 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    So if Pete has young children I can see why he is going all out to get the best safety protection he can buy the alternative is giving up riding for a while.Lost a friend who had a young daughter when he was racing bikes.Looking back wasn't worth the loss especially for his family.

8. #48 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo
    Why didn't you tell him that before he went and bought all that gear.I'd say it is a strong bet that you know and ride with each other.
    Yes we know each other well and ride together, sorry for not making that more open. He decided to buy that gear without asking me my opinion. Actually the boots, helmet and gloves make complete sense. The body armor is more for dirt biking, but it is worth some impact protection, and some slower speed abrasion protection. Given the availability in this area, the cost, and the very hot weather in the summer it's a fairly good buy. If you look at most cheaper mesh road jackets and pants those pads are exactly the same as what is sewn in.

9. #49 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Thank you Bigdamo and thank you ZMC888 for your considerate posts. I almost feel like you guys were fighting over me .
    Honestly though, thanks. Protection is valuable, especially for guys with a family to support.

The gear I have now is far from the best but, to some extent, it'll protect me from what I'm most likely to encounter: Medium to low speed slides while leaning into a nice, big corner on a clear, wide, smooth tarmac road that's unfortunately been littered with the extra sand and rocks that were loaded onto the back of a lorry drivers vehicle in his attempt to make a few extra rmb per run. I can't blame him though; he get's paid extra for doing it and nobody will stop him; it's just sh1tty that my path meet's with his.

My mesh vest and under-shorts can be considerably cool in the summer and worn under leather in the winter. The boots and helmet are good through any season. I'm holding back on the neck-brace for now; I don't do any off-road riding or large jumps and I only ride a 250cc... for now. Once I get a better pair of gloves I think I'll be set.
    Last edited by soberpete; 03-06-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar

10. #50 Re: What's your 'Chinese' Protection? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by soberpete View Post
    Thank you Bigdamo and thank you ZMC888 for your considerate posts. I almost feel like you guys were fighting over me .

I love this place. Feels more like a family than a community.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast