Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Scooter dealer in Beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob French_Rider's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to buy one foreign brand gas-powered scooter, one of those JV models (Piaggio Zongshen for example).

I used to know a few shops in Beijing but things change fast and several don't exist since I bought my previous bike.

I went to one shop in Tiantongyuan, the price of the bike seems OK, but the guy wants 1,600 rmb to fix me the registration (I wanna put the Jing A plates from my old bike that I dont use anymore) and says it's gonna take 2 weeks (I can get the bike now though).

Price seems a little bit too steep, especially that a month ago another employee told me they'd handle it for free.

So, I'm gonna try to negotiate, but I'd also be happy if anyone could help me find a distributor that can handle the registration for fairer price, or maybe an agent who could come to the shop with me and take it from here.

Thanks guys

Cheers

Pierre

2. #2 Re: Scooter dealer in Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Pierre

I received your PM, but thought I'd reply here in case anyone else has a similar question.

It looks like you already have an old, legal bike with an A plate. Transferring the plate to the new bike is not difficult, but there is the bureaucracy.

Assuming you are scrapping the old bike, you take it to one of the approved scrapping yards for motorcycles. There are two: One in the North (Changping) and one in the South (I think it is Guangqu Lu, but not sure).

You turn the bike over to them, they check to make sure that the bike doesn't have any outstanding fines (if there is, you have to pay them first), and then they give you a piece of paper.

That piece of paper allows you to get a new "A" plate within six months, on a new "approved" bike.

By the way, the scrapping process is not only free, the scrapping yard actually pays you a little bit of money for the metal in the bike (not much, given it is a motorcycle).

You then take the piece of paper and your new bike down to the Traffic Management Bureau for registration and plating (new photo, books, etc). As there is no transfer of registration from one name to another, I think you get to avoid the unpleasant trip to the zoo-like Admin Office at the used car market (SW 4th Ring Road).

By the way, your visa has to be valid for at least 6 months to register any new vehicle in your name. As crazy as it sounds, a 6 month visa is insufficient (it has to be MORE than 6 months).

If your old plate is a black one (for foreigners, under the old system), or somehow not a 47nnn numbered old plate, you will get a new yellow plate (47nnn indicates foreign-owned).

I think the new registration fees are around 100 rmb. I forget. Even though I seem to be doing it often, there are so many little charges here and there, I can never keep track of them all.

I am not sure what an agent is charging these days for a straight forward scrapping/plating, but I would guess it would be around 300 rmb. Sometimes, it depends on whether the agent can ride your old bike (does it run?), or needs to hire a van, and whether the agent is doing several at the same time, or just yours (needs to get a taxi from the scrap yard to where the new bike is, etc). I don't think there is any standard price.

If you'd like, I can PM you my agent's telephone number (Chinese language only). He specializes in motorcycles, so he actually has a motorcycle driving license, AND he even knows how to ride one! Good agents know all the ins/outs, and they also negate your need to stand in lines, only to find out that you have the wrong chop, or the right chop but in the wrong place, or you were in the wrong line, or whatever.

Cheers
    Richard

3. #3 Re: Scooter dealer in Beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob French_Rider's Avatar
    Hi

First, thanks a lot for taking your time to give me all this info!

Since I first wrote earlier tonight, I had my colleague call the guy at the shop again. He told me the 1,600 yuans was a fee I need to pay for the scrapping. So it's a confirmation that he tries to cheat me.

I did myself all the stuff when I bought my bike from another foreigner (2nd hand vehicle market, technical check, insurance and registration at the Shibalidian Nanqiao office). I was pretty proud of myself but now I don't need that thrill anymore. If your agent is trustworthy, I'll be happy to give him a few hundreds for his work. So if you can PM me his contact, it'll be great!

No worry on my visa (Z valid until February).

I know a guy for the van ride (if my old bike doesnt start, which is likely), I can hook him up with yours, or let him manage the whole thing.

So, to sum it up, here is how I understand it will work:
    1) agent take my bike to the scrap yard and get the relevant paper (does he keep my old plates.. already yellow and numbered 47... or not?)
    2) agent goes to the store and gets the new bike (is it there that he will get the big green registration book?, not the small blue one/"cheben")
    3) agent goes to the Traffic Management Bureau and registers it and gets the small blue registration book
    4) and I'm good to go for 2 years until the first technical control

Do I have it right?

And, if I get it well, I wont need to be with him, right?

Thanks again

4. #4 Re: Scooter dealer in Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Yes, you have it mostly correct. He can take care of everything, and you do not have to attend anything.

The store will only provide the fapiao (assuming it is a new bike). The big green book comes from the Traffic Management Bureau.

There is one step in between 2 & 3 ... he has to have your new bike inspected. That will be its first inspection. Your next one will not be for 2 years, you are correct.

I've PM'd his name and contact details.

Good luck & happy riding.