Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    Man this place is a fountain of information, thanks guys, I feel like I am being fed with a firehose. So that is not the bike I want to get for my brother who is used to a KTM 690? I dont want to have any issues while we are out, as I need to get back to the Jing, I have restaurants to run and a week away for me now is alot. Should I just bite the bullet and get them directly from Shineray? But reliability being the top reason to spend some extra money on it, like I said I dont want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. So let me have it guys, spend the 23000 and keep one really nice bike after selling the lightly used one? Or spend 12000 and have a disposeable model? The experts are here and I am listening intently.

scratchndent
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

2. #12 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    i dont think the shinery is any more reliable than wang jians bikes

mine has never failed to get me home

in fact i rode it 1000km straight out of the box the weekend i got it

so they are ready to rock as delivered

the only advantage is the shinery can be registered

its your call if this is important to you

my own view is "when in rome do as the chinese do"

that being pay scant regard to any and all regulations and rules

just my opinon and i know that many others dont agree with this attitude

3. #13 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    Zhu, Thanks again, I appreciate your candor. Coming from a guy that has 10k on his bike of the one that will give me alot of room money wise as I would like to pay for my brothers plane ticket as well for an early bday gift, and the bike looks just like it=shineray long march. Unless someone has earthshattering reasons why not to do it, I am going to get two of the cheaper, customs to a point, rear disc brake, bash guards for hands-forgive the retardness of that last illiterate part description, and a decent fuel can and some rear only box, I am gonna go for it. Fake plates and book it is. Would it be possible to me to ask one furtner question about the new parts, in your opinion, should I do the parts swap to them that you did so I have no worries or just #()@! and ride them? Its not that much money but it will make mine last longer and the other one a great deal when it comes to the resale, hint hint, anyone, Beuller, Bueller? After this I wont ask anymore, intentionally or otherwise stupid requests. My next task coming up is to read the whole forum in reqards to my plight, so most of the stuff will be answered there. Guess my paranoia comes from this will be my brothers and first trip like this together and I want us to have a good time with little or no issues, just fun and great memories.

scratchndent
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

4. #14 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Marty, by the way. If you are packing fairly light and only have the top rack I wouldn't take a backpack, I would just pack another small bag and strap it down over the passenger/pillion seat. You should be able to get these are really cheap but would probably do OK to keep dust and such out for a week. These are nicer and more expensive but they would give you some more options for strapping it down, through that nylon web handle. In fact if you pack the one for your seat with the round soft side facing your pack it kind of acts like a little extra lower pack support, which can be nice. Generally I also try to use bungee nets instead of cords because I think their a little safer, give you a few more options, and seem to do a better job.

5. #15 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    So you're willing to risk your career and your restaurants by going it the illegal way? You live in Beijing dude, not east bumbfuck where the cops don't give a shit. If you read all the ride reports on this forum, you will learn two things...those bikes usually fail at some point during a trip, and almost everyone has some kind of accident along the way. You bring your bro to China and I guarantee his first reaction to a long march is going to be "what a piece of shit", that was my first impression.... and I ride Chinese bikes all the time. But they will get you there and sometimes that's half the fun.

You seem to have all the best intentions in the world, but I think you should stop a minute and think about what you want to do. There are very real consequences for riding illegally in China, and there's almost always some way to get things done legally if you try.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

P.S. Why would you get a fuel can, it's called the long march because you can ride over 500k on a tank easily.

6. #16 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    I have read the license part of the forum and a chinese friend-co worker is helping me with that and will be long done before the trip, if I can get them registered legally then I am definately going to try, thats why I am here, for sure dont want to risk the issues and tomorrow I will talk with the person to make sure I can register. But then if I cant, then whats the next step? Like I said I will read the rest of the forum and use the tips, but hell or highwater in september I want to head out. Like I said before I am good at following directions. I have already been reading alot so far, there is just alot. thats definately why Im here so I think I need to get more info from the builder and start early to get it all done. Preciate all of ya.

scratchndent

7. #17 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    yeah probably wont be needing an extra fuel can

8. #18 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    Since you have some time, why not treat this as two separate projects. First, get your license and a good legal bike you can rely on, I'm sure you will find plenty of excuses to go riding once you get a bike. Second, see what the deal is for getting your brother a temp license when he arrives, I thinks it's fairly easy to do in BJ. Check with the other bikers in Beijing, I'm pretty sure you can rent a Jialing JH600, or even a BMW, for a week without much trouble as long as you have a license.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #19 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    C-Moto Senior
    I'm 98% sure he was talking about a the gas tank, and just jokingly said gas can.

10. #20 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    just while we are talking about it i think its unfair to call this bike a "piece of shit"

sure enough it is not really well built but with some simple and cheap mods its actually a pretty fair bike

its like riding in a time warp right back to a 1980,s xr/xl 250 with twin shocks and meagre horsepower

as for renting a bmw

well i suppose you can do that anywhere in the world and its prolly going to cost you the price of the bike to rent one for a fortnight

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast