Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    So I guess the final result will be when i talk to the builder tomorrow, I like the bike and I will get their guarantee on registering the vehicles and then move forward with all the other work, I am not Ewan MacGregor so getting BMW aint gonna happen, so I will just start from there. I went to the Shineray site and I cant get any of the product links to work, I saw someone on here earlier had that issue as well, none of the website works for me beyond the first pages of products, shows the products but you cant get any further. I dont mind spending the money on some easily registerable, I have enough to buy a better bike and if that means less issues further down the road/trail/govt stuff, then so be it and I will sell the other one just the same. So I dont care, whatever is easiest and least painless and gains the final desired result.
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

2. #22 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    So you're willing to risk your career and your restaurants by going it the illegal way? You live in Beijing dude, not east bumbfuck where the cops don't give a shit. If you read all the ride reports on this forum, you will learn two things...those bikes usually fail at some point during a trip, and almost everyone has some kind of accident along the way. You bring your bro to China and I guarantee his first reaction to a long march is going to be "what a piece of shit", that was my first impression.... and I ride Chinese bikes all the time. But they will get you there and sometimes that's half the fun.

You seem to have all the best intentions in the world, but I think you should stop a minute and think about what you want to do. There are very real consequences for riding illegally in China, and there's almost always some way to get things done legally if you try.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

P.S. Why would you get a fuel can, it's called the long march because you can ride over 500k on a tank easily.
    the failures i have seen can all be put down to piss poor maintenance

i.e. letting local mechanics work unsupervised

there is nothing wrong with those zhongshen engines

change the oil every 1000km and its good for 30,000km at least

crashes happen its true but the chance of crashing can be reduced by remembering a simple rule

there are bold riders, and there are old riders.. but there are very few old bold riders

3. #23 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    anyway , moving right along

i think you cant go past these bags

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7453982072

tiger tested by jeremy on his 100 day trip around china

combined with one of those waterproof bags posted before

and if you dont want the racks get him to put a disc brake on the rear of this bike

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9416978032&

and a green tank if you really like the military look

personally i have had enough camo to last me a lifetime
    and i really think the easier you are to see in china the longer you will live

4. #24 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    Man I like those bags, I think that it will be big enough to carry some lunch and enough clothes, rain gear, I think that is the way. I dont think I could bring myself to order that red one with the purple rims. I agree with you Zhu that being bright is definately the way to go but that is one ugly bike. I found another one on the site that I like and my brother said the fork on this one was a bit tougher looking. On the registration front, getting it registered here-Beijing, what am I going to have to go thru to get it done. He said he could get it registered where he is but gave no guarantees on being able to get it done in Beijing. suggestions, anyone, I will get going on it to make sure I am ready when he gets here , also I am taking my test next week to get legal and then I can get my bro the info so when he gets here he can take the test and then we will take off.

Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    anyway , moving right along

i think you cant go past these bags

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7453982072

tiger tested by jeremy on his 100 day trip around china

combined with one of those waterproof bags posted before

and if you dont want the racks get him to put a disc brake on the rear of this bike

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9416978032&

and a green tank if you really like the military look

personally i have had enough camo to last me a lifetime
    and i really think the easier you are to see in china the longer you will live
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

5. #25 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Unnamed.jpg

Gannnggsta!

6. #26 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    snap

2012-01-26_13-46-33_800 by johnnyfast, on Flickr

i agree this bike is ugly i just cant bring myself to care

7. #27 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    my butt hurts just looking at that seat.. oh but the old dog took me places far far away. Looking back no regrets, but it wasn't always fun.

8. #28 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    3 layers of lavender memory foam and the seat is sweet

9. #29 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I just got back from the Canton Fair. I was there specifically to check out progress on the Shineray XY400GY (aka X5; I will post an update on that on the X5 post on this site). I own the Long March and I have found a way to register it, but it definitely falls into the "grey area" of China'a motorcycle laws and you need some "relationship" with the Jiangmen local police to pull it off. In short, the Long March is all but registerable, along with any other Taobao purchase that is not "国三" or European emmisions certified (EEC). According to the law anything over 150cc without EEC is not registerable. Check out the licensing posts in this forum for more info. One bike that I would consider for your trip is the Shineray XY250GY-2 (EEC). 20110701045243404.jpg This bike goes for 10,000+ but I don't have an exact number. I had a look at it yesterday at the fair and it was pretty nice. It is already being exported to foreign countries and is available now, unlike the X5, and is registerable in China. if you're interested in a contact info I met the sales rep, a Mr. Steven Wang, who said that he can arrange a sale within China. I don't know if we're allowed to post this kind of contact info in a post...?
    Anyway, that's my two cents. I hope it's of help!

10. #30 Re: Does the Shineray XY200GY-7 "Long March"‎ still exist? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Oh, and to answer your question, no, the "Long March" technically does not still exist. It is officially out of production now.
    Unfortunately it has been caste to the wayside, so to speak. I still can't understand why Shineray didn't put a little more into this bike as in my humble opinion, this bike has great potential and obvious appeal. I just hope they get their ass in gear with the x5.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast