Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    ChinaV, do you still have the gps tracks hosted somewhere online?
    This is the dirt portion of those 3 days.

No idea how long this will stay dirt, judging by the paper maps I've seen and Google maps, a road will be built here eventually.

Start at Luguhu lake and go North, a few kilometers west of the intersection of the pink and green lines, there's a gas station, the only one, and it's not really a station, just someone's house, so you will have to ask a few people to find it.

You really should have a small dual-sport to enjoy this. A JH600 could do it with a good rider and TKC80's, but I don't know if going it alone is a good idea. There are a few spots that could be a real handful on a big bike with limited suspension.

Here's the track.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #12 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    I don't remember which of these roads were dirt, but Chinabiker took me on a lot of nice trails when I visited Beijing. I'm sure he has plenty of dirt tracks surrounding Bejing.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #13 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    Thanks ChinaV, hopefully someone will put those tracks to good use before it's too late!

4. #14 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Western Sichuan province, days 9, 10 and 11 of this ride report:

The rewarding us with punishment tour

It was all dirt until the end of day 11, about 500km of tracks through some of the most incredible landscapes i've seen. Some passes well over 4000m, all surrounded by t*betan culture. Pretty epic.

ChinaV, do you still have the gps tracks hosted somewhere online?

Might find it a touch difficult riding there now and in the for see able future.Same goes for the Big T.

5. #15 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Might find it a touch difficult riding there now and in the for see able future.Same goes for the Big T.
    To the west, you have "the circuit", Lijiang, ShangriLa and eventually Litang, everyone uses those roads and they're well stocked with checkpoints. Most of the roads out of those areas head to trouble spots, so it wouldn't be unlikely for people to get refused.

Read into this what you want, that Sichuan track we posted has almost no civilization at all, you will need a tent, food and water. From what I remember, there's very little chance of getting a 4WD through there.

And remember, Felix is a slave driver, I think he made me ride like 13 hours every day with only 1 pee break, so it could take longer.

......and one landslide could have you back tracking for days, so beware in the wet season.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #16 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    And don't forget to bring spare fuel if you don't have a big tank. We spend two days without finding any, i remember being very worried at times because we didn't know where we were going and wouldn't have had enough petrol to backtrack out of there.

I doubt you could have troubles with authorities along that track as there's nothing out there. You might run into blockades when you arrive back into 'civilisation' (very relative term here) at the northern end but by then you've already completed the best ride of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Felix is a slave driver, I think he made me ride like 13 hours every day with only 1 pee break...
    Didn't you recently make me ride half the length of vietnam on a broken foot in the rain on christmas day?

7. #17 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    To the west, you have "the circuit", Lijiang, ShangriLa and eventually Litang, everyone uses those roads and they're well stocked with checkpoints. Most of the roads out of those areas head to trouble spots, so it wouldn't be unlikely for people to get refused.

Read into this what you want, that Sichuan track we posted has almost no civilization at all, you will need a tent, food and water. From what I remember, there's very little chance of getting a 4WD through there.

And remember, Felix is a slave driver, I think he made me ride like 13 hours every day with only 1 pee break, so it could take longer.

......and one landslide could have you back tracking for days, so beware in the wet season.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

"To the west, you have "the circuit", Lijiang, ShangriLa and eventually Litang, everyone uses those roads and they're well stocked with checkpoints. Most of the roads out of those areas head to trouble spots, so it wouldn't be unlikely for people to get refused."

I'd say it is highly likely people will be refused entry this time.My friend went back home to Sichuan for Chinese new year she said that all the government heavy weights were called back from holidays early to fix the situation there.She said the gov is extremely nervous about the situation there at the moment.

"there's very little chance of getting a 4WD through there."

I used to think that there is alot of places where a 4WD can't go where a bike can go.I have since changed that view after I saw 2 4WD go down and up a rock garden that made your photo of the rock garden were you are bull dogging your bike down look like a walk in the park and they didn't even have to use mr winch.Will this happen in China. Some of the 4WD here are set up for it plastered with discovery channel stickers on them so I guess there watching what other 4wd are doing in other parts of the world.

From what I gather the world press is extremely keen to get in there to find out what is going on so I wouldn't put it past one of them to take the Sichuan track in.Call me paranoid but.

8. #18 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    Here is one of my favorites sorry wrong country.http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=90327

9. #19 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    So i am curious, what was the estimated time to do this particular loop. Looks really cool, I wanted to do something in Inner Mongolia, but have not been able to line up anything or get any direction from several different websites. I am thinking just buy a couple of bikes and get them delivered here-Beijing and when my brother gets here in September we could just pick up this very nice looking route to spend a week on. Thanks for the map very nice to see someone has done it and now I am excited to find out more. Marty
    I don't remember which of these roads were dirt, but Chinabiker took me on a lot of nice trails when I visited Beijing. I'm sure he has plenty of dirt tracks surrounding Bejing.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

10. #20 Re: China's Longest & Best Motorcycle-Friendly Tracks/Trails 
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchndent View Post
    So i am curious, what was the estimated time to do this particular loop.
    It was a six day ride, each color track is one day. We didn't ride too aggressively, and had to deal with setting up and re-packing camping gear every day, so I think you can manage this in a week quite easily.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast