Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Hooligun.jpg

OK, this is the latest version of 'da Hooligun' as teased from Cleveland Cycle Werks. Kind of Megelli SM250-esque, but not exactly. Plus, the Megelli was never introduced in the US (not sure if anywhere in the world, come to think of it, as their only bike seems to be their full-fairing sport bike) while this bike seems to have a better chance based on CCW's track record. Time will tell, but looks promising!!

2. #2 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Better photo from CCW's facebook post:

64162_362546110446391_100000730151310_1142446_1260331827_n.jpg

Specs to follow the tease according to them...

3. #3 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    It should have a dry weight under 290 lbs, they should tune one up and offer it to the press to compare against the KLX250SF and WR250X…if they plan on asking over $3,200.00 for them, which they likely will. It will need a favorable review by industry journalists.

They can tune one up and offer it to the press, then disclose that the actual model sold may be slightly different. Then sell the standard and offer upgrades for racing, fairly sure there is a performance cam and carburetor upgrade for the NX250 engine, that being above the standard Chinese set up of it.

Since CCW has offered three different renderings of the Hooligun, nobody would be surprised if they never get it to the market?

I have not really checked the weight of the engine, so I cannot be sure if it is inherently heavy? It may be too heavy to be compared to the Kawasaki and Yamaha, I simply do not know, but I do know that if they plan on offering one of the most expensive Chinese motorcycles they better actually have something competitive to that of the existing Japanese offerings.

I would also suggest that they actually compare test and develop the bikes to compete against the Japanese’s models, they should set up a flattering review by actually developing a balanced well made model.

4. #4 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Shouldn't; that motorcycle and this be sitting in showrooms throughout Asia with the Ducati name on them?

I like things to match, I really would be tickled to see a mini Hypermotard and mini Monster, I really wonder if the L engine layout could be shrunk down into a 250cc? Made in India it would all be or could be affordable/feasible. I would think that it could or would be comparable to the Honda VTR twin that offers 30hp @10,500 rpm.

That makes sense to me, to offer that to the India market as a Ducati and gets back at Honda for making a copy of the monster in the first place.

The issue would be that of efficiency, the 250 would have to be lean and mean and meet all global standards.

Of all my rambling posts and linked images, it is the VTR250 that rates the highest its images get the highest hit counts and from all over the globe.

What the Hell is a Hero...
    Last edited by MJH; 03-11-2012 at 07:42 PM.

5. #5 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Putting Ducati on these bikes would be interesting--however, they should be made in Italy I would think!

6. #6 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post

Since CCW has offered three different renderings of the Hooligun, nobody would be surprised if they never get it to the market?
    This is true; I do hope this one can be produced.

7. #7 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Did this Megelli bike ever make it to market anywhere? The CCW looks similar...

Megelli-m-Gunmetal.jpg

Their full-fairing sport bike came and went in the US, and other parts of the world, but what about their supermoto?

8. #8 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 

9. #9 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Putting Ducati on these bikes would be interesting--however, they should be made in Italy I would think!
    Are all Hondas made in Japan?

For these to be a Ducati they would need ,for one thing, a 250cc L twin engine that out performed all other 250cc engines. If they were manufactured in Asia they should generate enough sales to justify the costs of setting up just that, that being developing a 250 Hypermotard and a 250 Monster.

Ducati only makes what people will and or can afford to buy, they stopped making a 250cc single when people stopped buying them. They certainly did not forecast for emerging markets and the current trends.

If small versions were manufactured in Italy they would have a price too high to sell into Asia as a highly taxed import, the demand in other markets would be to low to justify the initial costs …so they do not.

India should be the first choice, Indonesia second China is far too restrictive.

10. #10 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Megelli did sell the supermoto as a 125 in the uk and europe, 150cc in eastern asia, 250 in the far east as well if you on bike HK they have reviews on them there is also the naked version of the full faired bike
    http://www.bikehk.com/report/2011/r4512/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast