Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    From what I understand the Megelli has the SYM engine, which offer more hp. I believe the PZ30 is very inexpensive and easy to get in china and why it is chosen where as with the SYM engine they choose a different carburetor.

The engine is also in the SYM T2, however that model is heavy for the small engine. The trellis frame of the Megelli is intended to lighten the weight if engineered correctly it offers less weight and better rigidity if done correctly.

Altering and engine configuration from stock is illegal in all countries with emissions standards, unless for racing purposes. The governments do not regulate emissions on race vehicles, so selling or altering vehicles from stock intending to be ridden on public streets is illegal. The only reason the components are sold to alter engines is for racing and those blatantly offering alterations for vehicle not intended to be driven off the street and in or for racing run the risk of heavy fines for doing so.

The fines are severe and retroactive per each instance or alteration sold.

So in the case of alterations to the engine on the Shineray it is a or would be intended for motocross, however that model comes in a form not street legal, it is sold stock without street legal equipment. Models sold that have only a street legal form have no defense at all for offering the alterations and would have no chance defending doing so in a civil case.

The cheap slip on exhaust is not intended to be sold for use on a street legal motorcycle, neither is all the rest…advertising or promoting the “mods” is foolish if not offering performance equipment for racing.
    Last edited by MJH; 03-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.

2. #22 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Most people do lots of modding to their bike, especially the guys with bigger bikes 600 and 1000cc. starting from intakes, air and fuel to exhaust..do they really get finned?
    what i really what to increase my output power of my bike. 26-30 if possible. Can i do this with posing impact to pollution?
    So i though a performance cam will be a good option.

Well, sym engines are like scooty engines, right?

3. #23 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    MJH if you buy a factory backed sports exhaust its perfectly legal even if its not backed by the manufacturer if you tell your insurance of the modification its legal as long as it abides to a decibel limit, but hardly anyone tells the insurance of modifications as thats more cash spent going into some bankers pocket, soon the eU are trying to push a law of zero work done by the owner only by mechanics at dealerships which just sounds like a stupid idea meaning you pay to have someone else work on your bike when your mechanically minded yourself

4. #24 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Actually if the muffler has a catalytic element, it cannot be removed, not all bikes have a catalytic element.

Kennon it is different in the USA to the UK, insurance companies only cover liability, collision, fire and theft, it is the federal government that enforces regulations, its the manufacturer that makes a statement that models they offer meet regulations. The insurance operate on the assumption that if you are insuring it then it must be conforming, that being it has to be plated to be ridden and if it cannot be plated it is not conforming and then you cannot ride it.

There are parts that are considered emission controls and removing any of them is illegal. I do not think most of the single cylinder bikes have a catalytic element.

People modify bikes all the time, manufactures and their dealers cannot promote or sell items that defeat emissions. Noise is an issue for local police they can fine you if they have ordinances for such things, most do but enforcement varies.

If the muffler only has baffling is one thing, but if it is a catalytic material then that is another. Major manufacturers would never sell a part that defeats emissions, if it did then it has to come with a disclosure that it is not intended for street use.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...lty-policy.pdf

5. #25 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    insurance comes as third party fire and theft or full comp here, and there are tons of factory catalogs from manufacturers that include akrapovik exhausts yoshimura, and other performance upgrades even some that increase the bhp once youve run the engine in all services done down by the ,ocal dealership for that brand.

most exhausts come with a DB killer a insert for roqad use that can be removed for when you go to track days

6. #26 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    This is really confusing now

7. #27 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Back on topic...

They'd been announcing the release of 'Tha Hooligun' for ages, except it used to be a Qingqi QM250 with cooler fairings/graphics.

I wonder why they dropped the qingqi... Maybe they were tired of waiting for a factory that thinks it's acceptable to overshoot deadlines by 3 years.

8. #28 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    The ironic thing is that Qingqi started selling their own branded enduro in the US late last year, but seemingly only through one dealership in the US:

http://www.jpmotorsports.com/pre_own...R0&veh=2382012

I think that CCW were planning on using their own Lifan-manufactured engine that they put in their Heist and Misfit. Not sure, but it seemed like that was what they were moving towards.

9. #29 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
    insurance comes as third party fire and theft or full comp here, and there are tons of factory catalogs from manufacturers that include akrapovik exhausts yoshimura, and other performance upgrades even some that increase the bhp once youve run the engine in all services done down by the ,ocal dealership for that brand.

most exhausts come with a DB killer a insert for roqad use that can be removed for when you go to track days
    In the USA they separate sound decibels from exhaust emissions, the two are regulated by different agencies.

All after market parts and the suppliers of the them cannot defeat that original manufactures compliance, they can only offer what is engineered to meet it or exceed it. The big suppliers do that or at least they claim they do that or conversely make no claim at all and or simply call it an after market racing or performance muffler. If it is not conforming to the decibels exceeding limits is a violation of FVMSS regulations they set the decibel levels. If it exceeds emission standards then it violate EPA regulations.

There are neither regulations on racing vehicles they are exempt, for off-road they are less strict they have lower requirements for emissions.

They are all dancing all over the line and there is no real way to easily enforce any of it other then require the vendors to make statements. Stating it meets or exceeds all regulations for street use on a specific vehicle or it is intended not for street use. Then if they are false statements they can be held to those false claims and fined, those that are legal are the most likely to point out those that are illegal. That is because doing what is illegal offers an unfair advantage to those selling what is legal.

10. #30 Re: New 'Da Hooligun' from CCW announced 
    the engine used in the Megelli and possibly "Da Hooligan" looks identical to that used by the Hanway SYR250NC Enduro/Supermoto
    http://www.hanwaymotor.com/product-e...20250NC-01.htm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast