Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 legal hebei plates 
    C-Moto Noob
    hi everyone, im new here, have read a few threads, cant seem to be able to find the answer to my question, i live in zhuozhou, hebei, i own a Honda CBF150, legal plates, insurance, all in my name, i ve got a chinese driver's license, im going to move to beijing in a couple of weeks, i was going to sell the bike at first, because everyone i spoke to told me i could not ride a bike with hebei plates in beijing past 4th ring road, does anyone actually know what could happen if i got stopped? what do i risk if i keep the bike and ride it in beijing?
    thank you

2. #2 Re: legal hebei plates 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    If you ride a legal, out-of-Beijing plated bike inside the 5th Ring Road, you are treated like any out-of-Beijing motor vehicle. There are many restrictions (not during rush hours, one day a week plate number restriction, and so on) and you could be subjected to fines & points.

In addition, only Beijing A-plated motorcycles are allowed inside the 4th ring road. You could be subjected to additional fines and points.

As for what actually happens, that purely depends on how lucky/unlucky you are.

Being legal (albeit from a different province) is significantly advantageous over the alternative - no plates, fake plates, no insurance, no driving license, etc. The penalties for those alternatives can get pretty nasty.

However, the rule is pretty clear that the bike should be registered at the same place as your temporary residency registration. If you get into an accident in Beijing on your out-of-Beijing bike, but your temp residence registration is in Beijing, it could get complicated and very unpleasant. There have been a few news reports of out-of-Beijing cars, owned by Beijingers, getting into an accident and the insurance is invalid; the owner/driver severely punished, and so on. Beijingers are doing this with cars to get around the license plate lottery system, but the authorities are cracking down on it. The police are making a statement by heavy enforcement and maximum penalties for out-of-Beijing vehicles.

Frankly, I am glad the police are doing this - Beijing has a horrendous traffic problem - enforcing vehicle limits is necessary.

3. #3 Re: legal hebei plates 
    Hi and welcome.

LJH is basically right about legality in BJ.

However, I'd keep the bike and plate if possible as you can still ride it in Beijing legally.

Zhuozhou is just outside Beijing, right? It should'nt be not too much efforts to keep the annual technical inspection, road tax and insurance alive. - don't give up a legal bike in China I'd say
    Andy