Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Register a new bike with an old plate 
    Hey.

I'm in Shanghai.

Does anyone know how to register a new bike with a plate I own already (on another bike), and what are the conditions under which it is possible.

If it is at all...

I have a DD250G with a 户A plate and was lurking at a 2nd hand CBR400, and was thinking of how to swap bikes while keeping the plate...

Any input welcome.

Thx.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

2. #2 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    I reckon there might be a way to put that plate on a new bike.

3. #3 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    Can't remember where I've heard someone mentioning it was a hassle, but doable...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

4. #4 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    I'm not from Shanghai, so it might not be relevant. I think that it's retrospectively hard but not impossible to transfer a plate to another bike. If maybe the CB400 had all its original import documents and VIN number and had already been legally registered at some time before it might be fairly doable. If however there are no documents and the CB400 was nicked from Hong Kong, much less easy. May depend on Guanxi/money levels mood of Gong An dealing with you and relevant paperwork available.

This is TIC and I may be wrong, and that goes with the territory.

5. #5 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Actually, here in Shanghai the ONLY source of plates for bikes are bikes with plates. The city has not issued fresh plates in years, so the only way to get a plate is to buy one from someone whose bike has reached the mandatory scrapping date and cannot reregister that bike. If your older bike has not reached its mandatory scrapping date, you'll have to prove that it's been scrapped anyway, or removed from Shanghai. I think the trick will be whether you can prove that the bike you want to plate, which you've described as second hand, can be shown to be legally registrable. As ZMC888 suggests, that will require the greatest effort. The system is much better at plating new vehicles with all the proper paperwork.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    Ok...

Thanks for the advises guys.

I guess I'll have a few questions for the bikes owners and for a couple other people...

The candidates:

http://sh.ganji.com/motuoche/12031200_1639929.htm

http://sh.ganji.com/motuoche/12030821_1633254.htm

Blue one shows an out of town plate.

White one seems like it could have one too, cropped out of the pics (?).

I'll follow up here if & when I get answers...

PS:

Feelings about those ads are welcome too.
    Georges Brassens

7. #7 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    Honda CB400, the #1 illegal bike of China. Your chances of getting one that's not butchered are between slim and none. You will not be able to swap your registration because 99.9% of the CB400's here are stolen and imported from Hong Kong and Thailand.

You're in Shanghai, don't waste your time, look for something more legal and less dodgy.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #8 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    Ok...

Thanks for warning me.

I'll still go look at one tonite to see in what shape it is...

But if no papers at all like u suggest, I'll start looking for smthg else then.

Thx.

Peace.
    Georges Brassens

9. #9 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV
    Honda CB400, the #1 illegal bike of China. Your chances of getting one that's not butchered are between slim and none. You will not be able to swap your registration because 99.9% of the CB400's here are stolen and imported from Hong Kong and Thailand.
    Actually I've seen a great many ones which were legally imported pre the big bike ban in 1998 was it? Being Hondas they survive well. However a 94-98 really is getting a bit old to be reliable. Anything post 98 would be a nicked and illegally imported one.

10. #10 Re: Register a new bike with an old plate 
    Don't know too much about Shanghai Motorvehicle Laws.
    But I'm pretty sure you'll need the following:
    1. 手续 of both bikes. That's a paper that certifies the time, date, place and names of seller and a new owner.
    2. 合格证 of both bikes. That's a paper that certifies the bike being complacent with Chinese vehicle regulations.
    3. All the papers for the license plates.
    4. Your driving license.
    5. A notice from the local traffic police station that you don't have any fines on you or that all your fines are paid.
    6. You take all these and go to the 车管所 (It's sort of a Motor Vehicle Registration Office) and have all the paperwork done.

Best have a Chinese guy with you. Should know a thing a two about Vehicle Registration, otherwise useless.
    Good luck.