Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Pin wrench anyone ? 
    I used this old school bicycle bottom bracket tool to snug up my neck bearings.... might work

http://www.parktool.com/product/cran...t-wrench-hcw-5

In a pinch a carefully placed screw driver tapped by a hammer would also work.
    Kevin
    CCW Heist
    Shitwizard

2. #12 Re: Pin wrench anyone ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    this is actually known as a C spanner.
    ask 4 by this name might work

3. #13 Re: Pin wrench anyone ? 
    Hey guys, sorry again for the lack of replies.
    I went to several garages/shops, and everybody told me that they didn't have the right tools and that it was downright impossible to change the settings on the rear mono-shock of the YBR250, including the Peugeot bikes garage on Yuyao lu.

Then today I went to the one place I should have gone to in the first place, the Yamaha bike shop.... Duh...

There they heard me, told me to go to the back with my bike, took a tool completely different from the ones in this thread, a tool with many "pins" which actually takes half the diameter of the adjustment ring, they put it on the ring of the shock, turned it (2 guys doing that as it was quite hard to move it), then click, it moved !
    So now it's all good, the rear shock is stiffer, perfect for the start of the trip, which is... tomorrow !

On the ride home I could definitely feel the stiffer suspension, and I actually liked the feeling of the bike a lot with this setting and solo riding. Something I'll have to remember with all my bikes now...

Thanks for your help and offers guys !

4. #14 Re: Pin wrench anyone ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Fred,
    I just changed the spring setting to the stiffest setting. Which setting do you use? Me and my girlfriend an all packings weighed up too much for the 4th setting, so we just changed it to the 5th one here in chengdu. we didnt have any troubles changing this at the yamaha dealers after showing them the pictures in the chinese manual. The whole spring had to be dropped though, which I must say is quite easy. The trick with the screwdriver and hammer didnt work, its too stuck.

5. #15 Re: Pin wrench anyone ? 
    Bartez88, your post could not come at a better time.
    In Shanghai I had the rear mono-shock changed to 4, and they assured me it will be ok for 2 people + luggage.
    Now, after all the bad roads we had (dirt and stones for tenths of kms...), it is taking its toll on the drive chain. I had to adjust it in Kunming, but now we are in Liangshan (Xichang), Sichuan, and its already ready for another adjustment.
    My theory (maybe I'm wrong...) is that it is because of the spring setting, too "soft" for all the weight on the bike.

So to cut a long story short, could you please tell me where did you have your spring setting changed in Chengdu (we will be there in 4 days) ?
    Is it at the JinMo place, on Wuxing lu, the one mentioned by CrazyCarl ?

I also ordered a new chain on Taobao, to have it delivered at the already booked hotel in Chengdu from May 9th.

Thanks in advance for the info !

Cheers,

Fred

6. #16 Re: Pin wrench anyone ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Is the drive chain too tight? Everybody has their own theory of checking the tightness of the chain, I always check it with full weight on it as this is the setting for most of the driving time. It always needs a bit of slack. The manual recommends to do it in standing position but I recon this is only when there is hardly any weight on it and when its new. When there is more wheight the shock goes down alot which changes the chain tightness.
    I had the spring setting changed in the south west of chengdu. The yamaha dealer, but they are no proffessionals. I had to show them how to change the shock setting. I recommend going to the north parts market, eventhough I have not been there.
    We are leaving chengdu this morning to head to xian, see the terracotta warriors :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12