Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Crossingthe Mongolian Broder at ErenHot 
    I looking to ride into Mongolia this late April, the plan was to cross the border at ErenHot. From the map it seems to be the best and biggest crossing. Its also the only crossing that leads directly to the Mongolian capitol. After many attempts to contact both the Embassy in Beijing and Consulate in SHanghai (newly opened) I have been able to find no information about the crossing on the Mongolian side. I do know that Mongolia does not offer border visas and that I will have to get them directly from the Embassy or Consulate. The real problem is that the Chinese PLA secretary in the border town of ErenHot, told me that they do not allow Foreingers to cross the border with their own vehicles and (get this) no one has ever tried . I quitely thanked him and hung up, knowing that at least 3 groups from Shanghai and at least one (that I know of) out of Beijing have cross at that Border. All have said the same basic thing..... money talks!

However this trip my riding buddies really don't want the fear on going into Mongolia have the ride of their life and then upon arrival back in China that the bikes cannot reneter! Other borders are not as strict, I would assume that all the borders except for region like Tibet, would be universally the same but TIC.

If you have been through the Border at Erenhot, or have any current information about the crossing there please chime in

Thanks
    Winston

2. #2 Re: Crossingthe Mongolian Broder at ErenHot 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Good thread, Winston. Hope you can find and post answers! Perhaps others can weigh in with their experiences exiting and re-entering China on legally China-plated motorbikes at various frontiers, as this would give you some ammunition for dealing with Erenhot. There are a few posts in MCM about crossings into the 'stans, Laos and Vietnam. I don't recall anything about crossing into Siberia or Mongolia...

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Crossingthe Mongolian Broder at ErenHot 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    any updates on crossing the border at erenhot with chinese plates?
    and getting backinto china?

Anyone knows if it is possible to sell motorcycles in Mongolia if it would not be possible to reenter china?