Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi, I've tried several time to adjust my valve clearances and had no luck, every time I do it my valves will make a loud ticking sound when the engine is running and the performance is slightly degraded. I am unsure if I am rotating my engine to the correct position; when I align the mark on the flywheel with the other mark on the crank case cover there is no free play in the rockers whereas when I rotate the engine a little further the rockers lift up a little more and there is some free play so at which point do I adjust the valve clearances?

I don't think my engine is in any danger because I have done a 100 mile road trip since I adjusted the valves which involved hard acceleration, red lining and full throttle for extended periods and the engine didn't explode but I want to be 100% sure on what to do before I adjust them again.

By the way my engine is a K157FMI which is used by Sinnis 125s, pulse adrenaline and many more.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

2. #2 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    The rockers should be loose when you find top dead center correctly.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    What China V said. Also, look into the cylinder with a flashlight. You should be able to see the top of the piston.

4. #4 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    C-Moto Guru
    Thanks for your replies. So do you think that the TDT mark on my flywheel is wrong? The mark goes beyond the inspection hole before the rockers are loose.

I'll do the piston thing tomorrow when it's not raining.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

5. #5 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    I don't think that it's wrong, just that your valves are too tight. Use the mark and visual confirmation of the location of the piston to start. Then adjust your valves. Check out V's post here; http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ighlight=valve

6. #6 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    i think you are looking at the firing mark not the tdc mark

firing mark will be about 20 degrees before tdc

7. #7 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'm pretty sure that my valves are too loose since they are clicking and I've read on several forums that valves that are too tight won't click. There is only one mark on ym fly wheel and it does seem that I have to rotate it roughly 20 degrees before the rockers become loose so maybe I only have a firing mark which seems weird to me.

I adjusted them again this morning and it seems a little better but the clicking did get louder as the engine warmed up as usual. I'm not entirely sure that the clearences that I am using are correct; Sinnis told me that they should be 0.08mm and 0.13mm but someone on this forum said they tried 0.07mm on both and it was fine so I'm thinking that maybe I'm getting the exhaust clearence wrong. I was thinking about just going for a trial and error method and gradually tighten the exhaust clearence until the ticking dies down, is that a good idea or not?

8. #8 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    C-Moto Guru
    pushrod valves "click" period

live with it

u tightn enough to make em not "click" and you will break something

but there life span far exceeds normal bikes with far less upkeep

there are still CG 125's (old honda motor alot of motors are cloned from) that are still running

myself experianced with old chevy pushrod V8's , had no issues = find top ded center adjust so barely "ticks" by hand , absolutly no measurments or tools other then my trusty adjustable wrench XD

an oil cooler will keep temp down to keep the "ticking" to a minimum , but mine as well sounds awsome at start up and ticks like crazy after 30 miles on highway , nature of our beasts

9. #9 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    spencer2004's bike is OHC Suzuki clone

10. #10 Re: I'm having a lot of problems adjusting my valve clearences 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my valves are too loose since they are clicking and I've read on several forums that valves that are too tight won't click. There is only one mark on ym fly wheel and it does seem that I have to rotate it roughly 20 degrees before the rockers become loose so maybe I only have a firing mark which seems weird to me.

I adjusted them again this morning and it seems a little better but the clicking did get louder as the engine warmed up as usual. I'm not entirely sure that the clearences that I am using are correct; Sinnis told me that they should be 0.08mm and 0.13mm but someone on this forum said they tried 0.07mm on both and it was fine so I'm thinking that maybe I'm getting the exhaust clearence wrong. I was thinking about just going for a trial and error method and gradually tighten the exhaust clearence until the ticking dies down, is that a good idea or not?
    According to the searching I've done the clearances should be from .08mm to .13mm for both intake and exhaust. Those numbers are for the Suzuki GN125 engine. That is the engine that yours is based on. If you are having trouble finding TDC It really helps to have someone watching the piston while the motor is being cranked through the access hole. You should find a corresponding mark on the flywheel when you see the piston come up to TDC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast