Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Post-crash fork problem! Is it still safe? 
    Survivor of a Close Call MotoDrunken's Avatar
    It`s me again.
    Friend, I have a question. As a result of my accident, the detent stop in the lower triple clamp of my Qingqi Motard broke. That aluminum part (and the entire lower clamp) seems made of very brittle aluminum and it`s kind of thin. The defect left an ovoid-shaped hole of some 1.0 by 0.75 cm. The squarish tab that makes a stop (the one located in the steering stem) also bent and then broke in an attempt to straighten it. That left my bike (still unridden since the accident) with a lot (lots more) of steering radius than ever, and with the obvious consequence of not being able to steer-lock it. My main concern is, though: Could the defect left in the lower triple clamp, as I described it above, weaken the clamp to the extent of making riding dangerous (I mean the risk of it suddenly break)?
    To change it I would have to buy the entire lower clamp, bearings and steering shaft; too expensive a proposition.
    Your answer / opinions (and from any of the C-Moto friends) will be really appreciated.

- Moved by admin -
    "Excelence is what we repeatedly do... excelence is then, not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Moto-D,

You give a good description of the problem but it it would still be good to post some photos if you have some so we can see the extent of the damage.

In general, whenever the clamps take a hit like that they should be carefully inspected. Any serious deformity in the metal would usually mean immediate replacement.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Moto-D,

You give a good description of the problem but it it would still be good to post some photos if you have some so we can see the extent of the damage.

In general, whenever the clamps take a hit like that they should be carefully inspected. Any serious deformity in the metal would usually mean immediate replacement.

CC
    Thank you very much. This next week I will try to take some photos and post them to get your best guessing. If the damage seems to be really severe to you it will be like though. But I really need an educated opinion. Check you up soon!
    "Excelence is what we repeatedly do... excelence is then, not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

MotoDrunken,

you said you have the supermoto correct? in the united states it has a 2 year warranty.

does your machine not come with a warranty? i would assume the faulty parts would be covered by this.

Volks,

The damage was a result from an accident.

C
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Volks,

The damage was a result from an accident.

C
    Thank you Volks for your imput, but as Carl said, the damage my bike suffered was inflicted by an accident I get involved into. I almost lose myas a result. I have not had the chance to get some photos `cause I´ve been really busy lately. I will send some as soon as I can. Ride safely brothers!.

ah. roger that. show some pics of the bike before the mishap then!