Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Most reliable 200? 
    After some research it seems that the QingQi 200cc bike is the most reliable, does this still hold true?

I am planning a trip from Chile to the USA, is the QingQi likely to last 20,000km+? I read the valve clearance tutorial, it doesn't seem so bad. The bike which I require must be cheap (the $AUD has just suffered a massive fall against the $USD), reliable and can go off-road, do you think I would be crazy to try this trip on a CN bike?

Pockethead,

Welcome to MCM! In response to your question, for NOW the QingQi (ChingChee) 200GY (QLink in the US) seems to be the most reliable as it's based on a DR200.

Things may change in the future as soon as more new models enter the US. I would have thought they would be announced already but it looks like late this winter or early spring we should see some new offerings.
    You looking into getting one?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Howdy Pockethead,

I think the QingQi is pretty reliable, but you should be prepared for a few things.

Watch the spokes and the bolts that hold the rear sprocket. Check them EVERY day if you are on a long ride.

Some models come with 520 chain and others come with 428. Regardless of what they have stock, I would throw it away and put on a high quality 520 O or X Ring chain. Use real chain lube, not motor oil.

Replace the handlebars with taller ones. Add handlebar weights and soft handgrips to reduce the vibration. The taller bars are really important if you're standing up a lot riding through the rough stuff.

Good luck with your trip!

Cheers
    ChinaV

Hmm my options are either a GXT200 or the Lifan 200 or a little 125cc Jap bike, i.e. CGL125 / GN125. I would rather be on a 200 but only if I can rely on it. Has anyone run one of these up to 20k miles?

Thanks for the info guys.

Sure you can't get a Chinese made Japanese bike? These days Yamaha YBR250's are made in China, could be worth a look, maybe too expensive.

I saw a YBR250 in Chengdu just before I left and it really peaked my interest. Only problem here for Pockethead is that it may be too expensive.

I'm not sure if anyone has had these up to 20k miles but I don't doubt that they could make it with careful riding and some elbow grease. A 125, even a Japanese or Chinese-made-Japanese model would get super stressed over 20k miles of hard riding because it would be full at throttle almost all the time.

I think the QingQi 200 would make it but you'd have to be easy on the gas and do your regular maintenance, esp. if the bike is bought new.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Noob
    Friend of mine has a 150cc Geely and has now +35k miles on it-no engine overhaul -just maintenence parts-chains -tires-chainwheels(?)-plugs-oil
    its not pretty after several winters on salted roads, but it runs like sugar!
    Farmer

8. #8 Re: Most reliable 200? 
    C-Moto Noob
    I am riding a Eurotrac 200 with 10000km on the clock no problem.And I do a lot of gravel road.Keep the rubber on the road
    Attached Images