Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice. 
    C-Moto Noob
    So the other day I went into Kawasaki to buy a Ninja 250 for $3800 that I had talked them down to over the phone. I was rather excited as I sat down to sign some papers and leave with my new bike.... I added on $900 worth of safety gear... and... when we got down to final price after TTL and "shipping and handling" fees as they called it... I was looking at a $6500 price tag. I was angered... and I decided to pass.

When I got home I looked up online... and found the "Roketa Jinlun MC 113" 250cc chinese bikes... and this led me to this forum and I figured I would get the advice of the forum on which cheapy to buy that will be most reliable / fun.

I've never ridden before and I'm wanting to learn. I was considering buying this little 250cc roketa mc 113 for $1600 or so... riding it for 6 months... and then selling it to buy a ninja 650.

So what do you guys think I should do? Buy this MC113 then sell it and buy the ninja?

Buy a chinese bike that is a 650 and just keep it.

Buy another type of 250CC or so that is a better buy than the MC 113?

My fears are it breaking down immediately upon opening it as they are rather cheap bikes..... How many miles should I expect out of them if driven gently? What about if driven roughly?

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

I currently live in USA Texas. I just realized this forum might not be domestic.

2. #2 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    C-Moto Guru
    http://www.killermotorsports.com/MXR...mxrd250rta.htm\

2300 bucks delivered to your house , or since u live in same town u can pick it up = recomended , as 1 or 2 have had wrong bike delivered to em
    minor assembly required , and they will do the paperwork to title and register it and get your licence plates sent to ya

bought my bike from them as well ( same motor )

3. #3 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    How long have you owned that bike? Why do you recommend it?

What kind of top speed / acceleration would I be looking at? MPG?

4. #4 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear China Curious,

Great post! Your post surely is representative of much that is happening in America these days. Money is tight, and old assumptions about brands and pricing and quality are being questioned. Yes, this is a very international forum, with many members here in China but also many around the world on all continents -- all joined by our engagement with Chinabikes. And you'll find a ton of information and generous guidance here as well, as DanDaMan has already shown.

My thoughts are the following:

--unless you have a lot of self-discipline, a Ninja or other sport bike may not be the best choice for a new rider. The lean-forward riding position is not conducive to 360-degree vision, and the overall design is more about going (and looking) fast than being safe.
    --you are not wrong to be thinking of learning on a smaller bike, then later graduating to more displacement. but you may find that a smaller bike actually fits the bill. You get supremely good fuel mileage (like 90 mpg!), and aside from times of extreme weather (like now), a 250cc bike can make a fantastic commuter.
    --buying from a drop-shipper like killermotorsports is not without its risks. There is little or no service available, so you'll need to be handy with a wrench or have access to a decent shop or wrench-friendly friends. But the savings are obviously great.
    --the risks of the bike breaking down are probably no greater than with a name-brand bike, though of course with a Kawi or other brand there will be strong after-sales support. Having a motorcycle is not like having a modern car, which you can drive for 10,000 miles without so much as changing the oil. Bikes are more demanding, and require a lot of TLC, which is part of the charm of motorcycling. If you are not thinking, every day in real time, about the state of repair of the bike with which you are entrusting your life, you should not consider a motorcycle.
    --take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation riders' course. It's only two days, and you think, what can I possibly learn, but you'll learn a ton. And you'll befriend instructors who you can possibly call on later. You'll also meet other newbs like yourself, which can make for a more enjoyable introduction to motorcycling.

As for specific brand advice, etc, spend some time looking through this forum. Many of the Chinabikes that are available in the US are covered in here, and not just the Dongfang and Heist bobbers (also not particularly recommended for a starter bike, in my opinion).

Hopefully you can find fellow Chinabikers in your area, and share experience and ideas.

Keep us posted, and good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks euphonius, your welcome is nice! I'll probably end up being a normal guy on the forum for support when I eventually make the leap into the motorcycle.

I was told it's very expensive to upkeep a motorcycle.... I have a ridercourse scheduled for april 4th and 5th... and trying to learn in the mean time. I was told you have to change the tires every 3000 miles?!?!? Is this true??? And the oil every 500??

What other crazy maintenance must I perform? And how much do all of these things cost? Tires I hope are cheap?

Additionally.... I want to go on the highway immediately... so I want a bike with the ability to get on the highway and be some what safe.... but I don't plan on going on the highway for atleast a few months of riding on 40 MPH roads.

I hear my worst enemies are: Oil on the road, pot holes, WIND, and other drives. Any tips? I'm quite worried about the wind making my bike shake like wild, the pot holes making me go into the wabbles, the oil hitting me while im in a leaning curve... and other drives be moronic.

6. #6 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcd/2913878810.html

And here's what I was initially planning on buying. Note the $1600 price tag. Just wondering thoughts on this bike.

I will be up for spending more if the bike I'm spending more on is more reliable ;)

I like the look of the MXR over this one though.

7. #7 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    C-Moto Guru
    a year , I recomend cause Dongfang has alot of support and the dealer is local (fort worth) (look at dong fang bobber thread all issues and fixes would be the same)

top speed depends on how it comes geared (sprockets) but thats easily modified , and im getting about 65-75 mpg on the highway running 70 mph (waiting on sprocket to change my gearing to increase top speed and lower mpg when drive easy)

I have owned the same motorcycle for 10 years (suzuki GS 750) never have I changed the tires 10k miles or so , but its getting close

as for oil changes , change often when new - at 100 miles , again at 250 again at 500 again at 1,000 then every 3,000 will do , I actually dont "change my oil , I drain it strain it and pour it back in since oil viscosity dont break down till 100,000 miles or so :p

edit -I cannot comment on bike in your link , no clue what it is or type of engine it uses

8. #8 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    Then there's this.
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #9 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    C-Moto Guru
    I would really recomend giving shop a call (from my link) going by and seeing what they have , its in your town plus they can help you with warrenty/support issues if any arise , as well as helping getting upgrade parts such as sprockets to increase topspeed/lower rpm's at your cruise speed ect

and buying it new and locally , provides you with a warrenty and someone to do the work that can also get the replacement parts

10. #10 Re: Wanting to buy a super cheap street legal sporty looking bike. Looking for advice 
    Agree strongly with DanDaMan that if you are purchasing a bike new, it's a great luxury to buy from a nearby shop rather than a website. If anything goes wrong, there's a place to go, and you can also size up the people you are dealing with before you make your purchase.

I'd also add this: Given the state of the economy, the used bike market (Craigslist) is filled with really great values, or at least it was last time I was in the states in October. People needing cash or downsizing are unloading possessions they don't use much, so lost of dusty, little-used bikes are being pulled from garages and sheds and put on the market. Take your time with this first bike purchase. And, at risk of sounding like your father, stop putting the primary emphasis on appearance and savings, and start thinking about quality and safety and your own inexperience.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast