Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Asking directions in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    +1, nice words slabo.

There are ways to get better answers from people. The thing is that a lot people have never been more than 100km away from their hometown, and took a bus to go there anyway. Back before i used gps and still relied on paper maps and local wisdom, i'd usually pick the closest place on the map in the direction i wanted to go, somewhere say 10 - 15km away, and ask which way to get there. People usually know how to get the next town.
    Yeah I don't believe this .My family here is spread out across Xinjiang,Gansu and Tibet and alot of small towns in between all travel widely ever heard of Chinese New Year.Oh and and a far amount of them a have long ago got ridden of the motorcycle for a car.

2. #12 Re: Asking directions in China 
    Basically in China a journey that the average outback Australian would consider to be 'going shopping' would be the furthest 98% of Chinese drivers have ever been from home by car. Thus asking anyone for directions further than the nearest town would be utterly pointless, with the exception of a few truck or taxi drivers.

3. #13 Re: Asking directions in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Basically in China a journey that the average outback Australian would consider to be 'going shopping' would be the furthest 98% of Chinese drivers have ever been from home by car. Thus asking anyone for directions further than the nearest town would be utterly pointless, with the exception of a few truck or taxi drivers.
    Unless you live in Xinjiang or the big T or even Gansu or Qingdao.90% of Australians live on the coast or nearby like China but if you ask an an" average outback Australian"if there is one directions you are going to get a 100% true and direct answer.Probably because if it all turns pear shape for you their the one's who are going to come and rescue you unlike China.

By the way Chinese drivers/riders in the above mention regions are traveling vast distances they just don't post here for obvious reasons.

This summer I will expect the usual influx of Chinese tourists driving and riding from down south hell I've even met people from Guangzhou driving to here.

4. #14 Re: Asking directions in China 
    Actually ZMC888 the average "outback Australian" can typically travel 500klms to go shopping that is if the wet season hasn't closed everything off in that case it is a helicopter or plane drop for must need supplies.

Really you can't compare the two countries.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 04-03-2012 at 03:56 AM.

5. #15 Re: Asking directions in China 
    Damo, I'll give you that some Chinese drivers do drive long distances, but that's why I said 98% of Chinese drivers. Which is about right. Go to eastern China, the amount of non-locally registered cars on the road in any city is about 0.5%. This is because most Chinese drive cars to gain face, using a car much in the same way they use bicycles and electric bicycles, thus clogging up the roads with pointless trips and even more stupid and selfish parking, mostly have no idea about local geography and even if they go somewhere far rely absolutely on GPS. Sure things are probably different in XJ, but that's the 2%.

6. #16 Re: Asking directions in China 
    Damo, I'll give you that some Chinese drivers do drive long distances, but that's why I said 98% of Chinese drivers. Which is about right. Go to eastern China, the amount of non-locally registered cars on the road in any city is about 0.5%. This is because most Chinese drive cars to gain face, using a car much in the same way they use bicycles and electric bicycles, thus clogging up the roads with pointless trips and even more stupid and selfish parking, mostly have no idea about local geography and even if they go somewhere far rely absolutely on GPS. Sure things are probably different in XJ, but that's the 2%.
    So you think this three day holiday 98% of Chinese car drivers are venturing no further than their city.I'd say it's a strong bet your wrong.

Funny most people on here are using a GPS of some form or another and rely heavily on them.

This year is a good year to get married and also have a child in China.Huge amounts of family are moving around this country(not just their home town) this year to go to wedding's and see the new kid and the preferred method of transport car.I bet it ain't just happening in XJ.

I think you only gain face now if you have a Porsche,BMW,Merc etc anything lesser than that it is just a means of transport.

7. #17 Re: Asking directions in China 
    You're just arguing for the sake of it.

8. #18 Re: Asking directions in China 
    C-Moto Senior
    Woohooo! BigD's got fired up!

Once I got lost and I was trying to find a little area in Lvshun called Dongjiguanshan scenic area. I was up in some little farming community on the side of a hill someplace and I asked these guys where it was once or twice and this fella had no idea what I was talking about. I finally figured it was my pronunciation and just tried throwing some tones in randomly, butchering the name worse, I'm sure. However, I finally blabbered something that these guys could understand and they pretty quickly told me to get out to the road, take the first two lefts and I would be there. Sure enough it was right there, just up an oddly straight, new road that looked like it ended off a cliff. Even though it was very close it was my trusty lazy tongue that was causing the problem.

9. #19 Re: Asking directions in China 
    You're just arguing for the sake of it.
    Seven months with out seeing or speaking to another foreigner has turned me into a cranky old bastard.Still think I am right.

Could be time to go home.

10. #20 Re: Asking directions in China 
    It's tough living in China. Especially being isolated way out over in the west. Anyhow around here in eastern China they do more often than not do for stupid short pointless drives. However out west they clearly use their vehicles more logically.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast