Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Just got my first bike. THa Heist 250cc. Need some recommendations. Thanks! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi there,
    Im new to the cycle world and got my first retro starter bike. I would like to mod it up a bit but dont know where to begin and how. I know how to work on cars but not the cycle world.

1. Want to wrap the pipe and also chop it and heat spray it black. What do you guys use to chop the pipe? whats the process? Also, what does the wrapping do in general? Will this hurt the carburator after its done?

2. What process do you used to cut the fender in back, what tools do you use? Im not a fabricator but I assumed many people do this themselves. Any ideas or recommendations?

3. Changing handlebars to the flat bar look. Any things to watch out for?

Thanks guys. I will be searching the forums also.

R

2. #2 Re: Just got my first bike. THa Heist 250cc. Need some recommendations. Thanks! 
    Toobit, welcome to the MCM boards and the Tha Rider Nation
    Great bike, I have had mine or under a year and have over 11000 miles on it. Just completed a 3000 mile ound trip to Daytona FL from NJ last week on my lil pony, the tha Widow.
    This forum, and http://www.ccwthariders.com/ are great resources for mods on the Heist as well as the CCWtha Rider FB group with almost 200 members

there is a great write up about wrapping a pipe right here it will not hurt the carb but you will want to rejet if you make any changes to the exhaust

to do fender cuts I used blue painters tape and a sharpie to draw out the lines then a cutoff wheell to actually cut

I have daytona drags on my Widow no need to change the cables

Hope that helps if anything else pm me here or email me ccwtharider@optonline.net

~Gardo
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

3. #3 Re: Just got my first bike. THa Heist 250cc. Need some recommendations. Thanks! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Cool thanks for the info. So if your wrap the pipes there is stainless steel binds at the ends? If all black do people usually paint the binds?

Also when you chopped your fender, did you just paint the end? Does it come out clean? I guess I would have to take the bike in to rejet the carb from what i understand.

I have much to learn. Should be fun

4. #4 Re: Just got my first bike. THa Heist 250cc. Need some recommendations. Thanks! 
    Quote Originally Posted by toobit View Post
    Cool thanks for the info. So if your wrap the pipes there is stainless steel binds at the ends? If all black do people usually paint the binds?

Also when you chopped your fender, did you just paint the end? Does it come out clean? I guess I would have to take the bike in to rejet the carb from what i understand.

I have much to learn. Should be fun

I painted them black, you can also use hose clamps they work pretty good as well

The fender needed to be repainted on the end. I matched up the paint from the shop. A ford black works well.

Contact Tom Weaver, @ Weaver Rides about jets or having him tune the carb for you
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW Heist Riders

5. #5 Re: Just got my first bike. THa Heist 250cc. Need some recommendations. Thanks! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Cool, and im assuming the cuts on the fender dont leave chips and you just painted the trim mark on the end. This could be tricky but I will see what kinds of cutters out there would do a good job without having to sand the thing.

Rejet < Can it be rode without it being rejet? or will it eventually hurt the engine. I will have to get this done for sure too.

Thanks

6. #6 Re: Just got my first bike. THa Heist 250cc. Need some recommendations. Thanks! 
    the bike may run lean but it should be okay
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW Heist Riders