Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'm planning to upholster the inside of my Tourfella panniers. My idea is to use felt for this, not totally sure about what would be the best way to make it stick. First thing I could think of was double-sided tape, any other ideas/experience on this?

Cheers,
    Barry
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

2. #2 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    Banned
    G'Day,

B&Q -The Hardware Store- has this thin black rubber "carpet" (sold by length of a large roll in B&Q Shanghai) and works great with good quality double sided tape.
    Using the rubber "carpet" for my tool cabinets and shelf, no problems, easy to keep clean and looks neat.

3. #3 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    C-Moto Guru
    While in B&Q look for some sprayable glue - There should be something from Patex or Loctide, excellent stuff to glue bigger areas

4. #4 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    C-Moto Guru
    Thanks, for your input guys.

What about sun/heat from the exhaust pipe, could they make the double sided tape come off?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #5 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    Hey Barry - This carbon-fiber adhesive may work for you.

T1MMtOXo8xXXbw0qQ1_040234.jpg

Nice lining
    Inexpensive
    Adhesive
    Looks cool

You can buy it on Taobao here.

6. #6 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'd like something more shock-absorbing for covering the inside. Not the fluffy hairy stuff chinese like to put on their car seats and steering wheel of course!

Thinking of this!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

7. #7 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    C-Moto Guru
    I used some stuff that is anti-slip and kind of soft rubber, 3-5mm thickness, it was left over in our electronics manufacturing/assembly.
    Any contacts into the elctronics assembly? Check with them.

8. #8 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    I wouldn't use felt. It is very difficult to clean once it got wet, dusty or otherwise dirty.

I was thinking about neoprene but then turned to ordinary soft wall covers, the ones you would use instead of ceramic tiles in a bathroom or kitchen. Glue them with carpet glue all along the edges and a dot or two on the rest of the area.

Easy to wet-clean, cheap n easy to install, good to remove. Should be available in B&Q or construction material markets.
    Andy

9. #9 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Barry:

I mistakenly did this with a set of aluminum panniers I had back home. Moisture/dirt got trapped and it began to corrode/deteriorate the aluminum (turning into that white powdery stuff).

Nevertheless, if you're keen on it ... you can check out the Muxiyuan materials market in Beijing. It has everything you could possibly imagine, including Russian Sable (complete with heads). Go to Google Maps, and type in 39.85403,116.402096 ... it is just behind the mobile phone market on the S 3rd ring road, along the road that heads SE from the bridge. The market is several blocks long, and is about a block deep on each side. If you can't find a material here, it doesn't exist.

One better option, IMHO, are pannier inserts made from a tough, cloth material. They are handy because they provide some shock absorption, but also have handles to make it easy to lift the bags out and take into a hotel. Tourfella used to make them, but apparently no longer does. But if you left a pannier with one of the materials shops in the market, the shop could easily custom-make some. You'd just need to decide what material you would like the bag made out of.

Wish you every success ... and then I can copy it!

10. #10 Re: Tourfella panniers - Upholstering 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ...One better option, IMHO, are pannier inserts made from a tough, cloth material. They are handy because they provide some shock absorption, but also have handles to make it easy to lift the bags out and take into a hotel. Tourfella used to make them, but apparently no longer does. But if you left a pannier with one of the materials shops in the market, the shop could easily custom-make some. You'd just need to decide what material you would like the bag made out of.

Wish you every success ... and then I can copy it!
    Here is the perfectly fitted insert with carrying straps, but these were not made by Du Rui at Tourfella, despite the branding. Rather, the ever-inventive Pfaelzer had them made through his sourcing network, presumably in Fujian. Pictures from Pfaelzer's epic JH600 thread. I have a set of these and love them. It's easy to keep the panniers clean inside, which might not be the case if you upholstered the interior surfaces.

cheers!

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast