Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: hukou

1. #1 hukou 
    SEE profile pic for new age washing machine
    posing on here to see if anyone has had similar problems and what they did to solve the problem

last year i had a daughter (well my wife did, i just stood there and watched in terrified curiosity)
    anyhow, the hospital wrote her name in english (on the birth certificate)

tried to get her on the family hukou and was told they cannot put a english name on it (fair enough)
    but they also refused to accept a translation of her name,
    so while under chinese law, any baby born in china to a chinese parent is auto chinese,
    they wont put her on a hukou so she cannot get an id card so she cannot go to school or get a job when shes older (or travel or trains or jets)
    they told me to get a british passport for her. (i dont want to do this as schools will be mroe expensive and so will everything else, she has the paperwork of right to abode in the uk should she want to leave later)
    ran into a problem where she can only get a visa if she is out of the country, and she cannot leave the country on a british passport without a valid visa.
    so i have scrapped that idea and am going for the hokou again.

additional info:
    my wifes from a poor area of Anhui.
    im not made of money.
    chinese time of doing things means it takes a week or more for someone chinese to go and see the psb each time.

any hints and tips?? if you say 'bribe someone' thats really not very helpful as we cannot seem to find the person to bribe.
    thanks in advance (will check back here after the weekend. its warming up so time to hit the hills again for the first ride of the year)
    just because something is possibly possible, does not follow that is it essentially essential.

2. #2 Re: hukou 
    lightend, 我建议您弄清楚办户口的手续,我的长辈跟我讲可能并不因为英文名字的原因。
    至少你需要结婚证和准生证,到老婆的户口所在地派出所办理。
    if you couldnt read what i wrote, ask your wife or local.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightend View Post
    posing on here to see if anyone has had similar problems and what they did to solve the problem

last year i had a daughter (well my wife did, i just stood there and watched in terrified curiosity)
    anyhow, the hospital wrote her name in english (on the birth certificate)

tried to get her on the family hukou and was told they cannot put a english name on it (fair enough)
    but they also refused to accept a translation of her name,
    so while under chinese law, any baby born in china to a chinese parent is auto chinese,
    they wont put her on a hukou so she cannot get an id card so she cannot go to school or get a job when shes older (or travel or trains or jets)
    they told me to get a british passport for her. (i dont want to do this as schools will be mroe expensive and so will everything else, she has the paperwork of right to abode in the uk should she want to leave later)
    ran into a problem where she can only get a visa if she is out of the country, and she cannot leave the country on a british passport without a valid visa.
    so i have scrapped that idea and am going for the hokou again.

additional info:
    my wifes from a poor area of Anhui.
    im not made of money.
    chinese time of doing things means it takes a week or more for someone chinese to go and see the psb each time.

any hints and tips?? if you say 'bribe someone' thats really not very helpful as we cannot seem to find the person to bribe.
    thanks in advance (will check back here after the weekend. its warming up so time to hit the hills again for the first ride of the year)
    同志仍需努力

3. #3 Re: hukou 
    SEE profile pic for new age washing machine
    thank you to both of you who have helped.
    regarding the personal message: i tried to reply but it asked me to log in again so im not sure if it sent or not.

regarding the post above: yes it will be hard, we have a marriage certificate but i will have to ask my wife what "准生证" is, as i have not come across this word before.

we are just aiming to put our daughter on my wifes Hukou (as i do not have one)
    thanks for you advice, its much appreciated.
    just because something is possibly possible, does not follow that is it essentially essential.