Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Northern Jiangsu Province Info 
    C-Moto Regular
    A potentially awesome area to ride in close to Shanghai is northern Jiangsu province. Basically it is the area north of the Yangtze River, which is adjacent to Chongming Island. It used to be that you needed two ferries to access the area.

Having recently explored this area on a bicycle, I can attest to the fact that it is truly awesome for riding conditions on two wheels. Smooth, wide roads, tons of villages that haven't been developed yet, friendly people, cheap prices, and there is even a beach. It can't be a nice beach, but the fact that GOLD BEACH is a tourist attraction so close to Shanghai, it begs further investigation. There is a plethora of coastline which might reveal some gems, who knows.

At any rate, having done tons of trips to the south and west of Shanghai, this was my first real trip north and it was quite the learning experience. I would love to repeat this on a motorcycle where I can go faster, but there remains a huge obstacle.

That is, the only way to access it is by expressway. They have recently completed the highway that goes across Chongming Island, thus linking up the city of Qidong (the first large city one you cross over the river). Now you can get there in an hour by bus. However, motorcycles and other two-wheeled traffic are strictly forbidden, and the enforcement is backed up by multiple toll booths. If somehow you could sneak on, don't bother, because the bridge itself is flanked by toll booths on either side. You would eventually run into a toll booth and not be able to pass. Cars, I am certain of it, would have to pay twice in either direction.

If that weren't enough, they cancelled the ferries from Chongming Island into Qidong after the highway was completed. This is an extreme piss-off because there is literally no alternative, and Shanghai motorcycles are effectively firewalled out of the area. But I did ask the policeman and he said the only way to access Chongming is to go via Shanghai. Then he indicated it might be possible to use another ferry at the far north of the island which links it up to HAI MEN city, in another prefecture in Jiangsu province.

It is certainly worth a try, but I have my doubts. Anyways, just wanted to put the info out in case others were wondering.

2. #2 Re: Northern Jiangsu Province Info 
    C-Moto Senior
    Just load the bike up into a truck to get the bike down the expressway, sure the driver would want to squeeze you for cash but if you shop around you could probably get a decent price. To get the most out of your money I would try to arrange a ride with one or two other riders. It might cost 300 or 400 kuai + toll fees to get the bikes past the expressway but it's surely possible and couldn't be too hard.

3. #3 Re: Northern Jiangsu Province Info 
    C-Moto Regular
    This is quite a good idea, but the cost is a deterrent for such a short distance trip. Loading onto a truck would be more cost effective as you say for multiple riders, and for longer trips.

If there is a cheaper way to get bikes on or off Chongming Island and/or shuttled back and forth from the city and norther Jiangsu province, then this would open up the possibilities for a day trip or a weekend trip for awesome conditions and exploration.

Having done further exploration in the area last weekend, I saw signs for a new vehicle ferry from Chongming Island to Haimen (in northern Jiangsu). Haven't seen the ferry yet, but it might exist. Multiple old ferries on or off the island have been canceled, so who knows.

Another thing is ferry links between Shanghai and Chongming. They built a new passenger ferry that is quick, but not sure if the older vehicle ferries are still running or not. Having been to Chongming just recently on a bicycle, the conditions are indeed top notch.