Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    A quick and basic check list, and assuming battery is charged and starter is turning the engine OK, and there's fresh gas in the tank (when was the last time it was run, gas goes off after a while):

Is there compression?
    If not check:
    Valve clearances incorrect. (Too tight)
    Valve stuck open
    Worn valve guides
    Valve timing incorrect (after the backfire it could happen that the timing chain has slipped on the sprockets if the chain was very worn or the tensioner was inoperative.Not very likely. How many miles has it covered?)

Worn piston rings
    Worn cylinder

Is there a spark at the plug when you turn the engine over?

If not check:
    Fouled or wet spark plug
    Faulty CDI unit, pick-up sensor, ignition coil.
    Incorrect ignition timing
    Open or short circuit in ignition

Petrol getting to the engine?:

No fuel flowing to carburettor:

Blocked fuel filter if there's one.
    Blocked fuel tank cap vent hole
    Blocked fuel tap
    Faulty carburettor float valve
    Blocked fuel pipe
    Blocked fuel line or carburettor jets

Is there petrol inside the carb float chamber? Check by opening drain screw on carburettor float chamber and see if fuel flows out.

If you have these basic requirements, i.e. Compression, spark and fuel it should at least try to start. The ignition timing on these engines is fixed and can not go out of adjustment. The CDI ignition controller can fail, but if you're getting a spark that should be OK.
    Last edited by forchetto; 01-01-2009 at 06:12 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    it had good spark good compresion and gas it tries to run but just won't quite get ther. How do I go about checking the valves is there a diagram or manual somewhere to show me how to do this?.

thanks again

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    I'm not familiar with your engine. It seems to be a clone of the Honda Rebel 250 but something is wrong with the photo that I've found in the LIFAN website. I can't see where the spark plugs are, whereas in the Rebel 250 they're clearly visible either side of the barrels. See this photo to appreciate how similar the engines are, and notice where the plugs are:

Are your plugs centrally mounted, that is on top of the engine? usually this points out to a 4-valve per cylinder engine and I wouldn't have thought many Chinese engines are like that.

Furthermore the Chinese engine photo seems to have two carburettors but only one exhaust port, as you can only see two exhaust pipe studs. Maybe it was manufactured with Photoshop or something...

Have another look at it and compare the two, there are obvious similarities except for the two things I've pointed out:

Theres a very good guide, with photos, to setting the valves on the Rebel 250 on this thread, I'm sure it will apply to your as well:

http://www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=3881
    Last edited by forchetto; 01-02-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks, yest the plugs are centraly mounted in the top behind the little plastce chrome covers ther is only one exaust port as the 2 carbs attach to a y witch goes into one intake port, I think the link you gave me will help imensly because the engines look almost identical I will check it out and let you know thanks again :D

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks a million. the link you recomended was perfect the valves where tight I adjusted them to spec and my bike fire right up. thanks again

Mark, that's great! When you get back on the trails don't forget to snap some picture!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

This engine was also in the old CB250N.
    I used to have a CB250RS, which was a single, yet more powerful

Originally it was a 234cc, looking at the engine numbers has this engine been bored out to a genuine 250? The Chinese usually claim this engine is a 233cc when they make it because they don't like the number 4

that I've found in the LIFAN website. I can't see where the spark plugs are
    That's because the Chinese cover this area with plastic or metal covers to make the bike look more pretty when new. But when you do more maintenance and they get in the way so you throw them away, then bike looks way more ugly than the original.

[RANT] If you're gonna copy Honda that's OK, copy them exactly, they are good. But most of these Chinese companies just have to put some extra garbage on the bike like plastic engine covers or copy a bike and change the wheel type or the exhaust system configuration making the bike worse or even dangerous, or put tires that can't do the job in the real world (but last forever because they are made of rock), but this 'flourish' they feel, makes them feel that they have their own signature on the bike and gain face and importance from this. I'm sick of people who think that they can improve on good engineers designs, especially Hondas, you can't, stop trying. [/RANT]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12