Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    Right.
    So after a thorough inspection it turned out that both front and rear rims on my YaXiang LD 450 are bent. I mean, seriously bent.
    The shop that sold the bike to me could offer me no assistance. The owner just said he didn't know what to do. If that's the asftersales service in China (country of origin), can you imagine what it'll be for YaXiang/Asiawing abroad?
    So I'm a bit stuck here. I have the following choices:
    1. Go 90% Chinese bike riders' way and ride it without repairs until it's dead.
    2. Buy a set of THE SAME QUALITY YaXiang rims (fully assembled with hubs and spokes) from taobao and get those bent in another half a year.
    3. Go out of my way and buy a set of quality supermoto wheels for Honda CRF (say, Marchesini), that'll set me back 2K USD at least and is nearly impossible in China.

2. #32 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    Steve,

Have you looked at other China brand motorcycle wheels? You could probably get them laced to your original hubs. My fat ass weighs 130kgs. I have taken my JH600 off road at speed and tested the wheels for sure in some of China's best ruts, pot holes, and even a few jumps. The wheels are at least one thing I cannot yet bitch about.

On a side note, a request for a favor. If you decide to do this, let me know if you find a decent mechanic in Nanjing. I have a good one for the CJ750 but he learned CJ's from the PLA and knows nothing of other types of motorcycles. I have a hard time doing any work in the downstairs parking garage even though we bought a space for the toys. It would be good to know a mechanic /shop if you find one.

Give me a call if you want any ideas on how to get special length spokes etc. I might even get a set from the USA sent over here for you as sample with my company. You have the number I think. Anyway, this would have to be much, much, less jiao than USA wheels. I think pfaelzer spent more than $2K to get a set here from Germany.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #33 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    Right, MAXXIS rims could do. The problem would be finding the right size supermoto spokes and convincing somebody to build wheels :)

4. #34 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    Get a sample standard spoke for the ends needed and then a measurement needed. You can then most likely get them from the USA. I go back and forth 4-5 times a year and could carry them back in a suitcase for you if you do not go back and forth that often. I will next go in late July and return to the Jing in mid August. I could bring them then. I will also go back in November.

I have laced wheels up before, you basically need some sort of balancing stand and a pointer. (Take pictures before you disassemble. Don't ask me why I suggest that) We should be able to find someone in Nanjing but if not, you can probably get some suggestions where to ship them to get this done in China from this forum.
    DT

5. #35 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    Thanks, but no need to worry, I'm getting a new set of wheels (with tires) from a local motocross guy.
    He's been pro-racing for a long time and has lots of dual sport/motocross parts available.
    Don't know the exact address of his place (I remember it's not far from 大桥南路), but just in case, his
    name: 魏广辉
    number: 13951028111

6. #36 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    As of today I changed 4 rectifier-regulators (all burned out) and still the bike has problems starting. It's either this or that. Either the battery doesn't charge or it gets overcharged and the electric flow burns the RR straight away.
    On the positive side: we fit a carbon fiber exhaust on it, sounds better. I also wrapped the exhaust with the heat shield cloth (front and middle). We also fit a Boyesen high-speed pump on it (from eBay).
    On the negative side: Boyesen pipe and heat shield didn't really affect how hot the bike runs and it still runs terribly uncomfortably hot in summer.
    By this moment I am totally disappointed with the bike, its reliability, its parts quality and non-availability of replacement parts in Nanjing. I don't know if it's worth it keeping it on the road hoping it doesn't fail during that work-home ride. Maybe I should just get a barrel of #97 gas and burn it somewhere out in the field.

7. #37 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    Damn Steve, sorry to hear your troubles. However, I completely understand. Did you ever talk to the mechanic at the Benelli shop, his name is Xiao Wu? I just brought my JH600 back from YiXing last Monday so I can take it to him to do try and get the progressive "Works" front springs put in. He seemed to have some mechanical aptitude. Maybe he could help you.
    DT

8. #38 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post
    ...Maybe I should just get a barrel of #97 gas and burn it somewhere out in the field.
    Damn, Steve. I note you've been dealing mainly with the shop that sold you the bike. Any chance of dealing directly with the manufacturer? Shame them into action?

Meanwhile, we'll be watching for plumes of black smoke over Nanjing...

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #39 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Steve,

thank you for your postings here which let me give up the idea to purchase this bike. It sounds like a nightmare to me.

Cheers

Andreas

10. #40 Re: Asiawing LX450S / 亚翔LD450 Rider Review 
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    Damn Steve, sorry to hear your troubles. However, I completely understand. Did you ever talk to the mechanic at the Benelli shop, his name is Xiao Wu? I just brought my JH600 back from YiXing last Monday so I can take it to him to do try and get the progressive "Works" front springs put in. He seemed to have some mechanical aptitude. Maybe he could help you.
    I did, but they couldn't identify the problem (-s), so I'd rather be working on it myself with the help of that guy I sent you the address of. Anyways, one more RR burns, the bike goes to the scrapyard.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast