Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi, I thought that I might as well make a thread showing off the mods that I've done to my Sinnis Max and include some details on how to do them. First of all my motorcycle has the K157FMI Suzuki GN125 clone engine which is the same as the engine on the Pulse adrenaline so Pulse owners can apply most of this to their own bike.

DSCF0025.jpg

Here's the pod filter I fitted a while ago, I fitted a plastic bottle around it to protect it from the rain and trust me this is essential in heavy rain, last week a shortened it a bit and now it sucks in rain water and stalls the engine while idling, the protector should be at least as long as the pod filter it's self. The inlet diameter for the carb is 42mm, I'm pretty sure that this applies to the Pulse Adrenaline too and probably all other K157FMI engine bikes as well. After I fitted this I moved up from the stock 97.5 main jet to a 105, I got a minor performance increase but nothing to get excited about, it did make a nice noise while accelerating however but my new exhaust masks this now.

Fitting a pod filter requires the removal of the air filter box, for some reason this was very hard to do as I could not find any way it could slip out of the frame, it was almost like the frame was built around the air filter box. you will be left with 2 pipes that were originally attached to the air box; the crank case breather and the SIA valve inlet. Basically the crank case breather lets out gasses that sneak past the piston from the cylinder and the SAI or 'secondary air induction' valve pumps air into the exhaust gasses to burn up any un-burnt hydrocarbons to reduce emissions. These 2 remaining pipes should be left facing to the rear of the bike to prevent water or debris from entering them and secured with zip ties. I should have bought separate filters for these but I just secured a bit of old t-shirt over both of them to act as a filter.

Oh yeah and you will need to secure the battery with some zip ties or something as it originally rests on the air filter box.

DSCF0040.jpg

EDIT: THIS EXHAUST CAN WAS A PIECE OF SHIT DON'T BOTHER BUYING ONE!

Here is the chrome exhaust can I have just fitted, I have noticed increased acceleration and a few MPH added to the top speed. It can be found here or if the link is broken search for "UNIVERSAL SILENCER 15" TAPERED". On it's own it is far too loud, using it on it's own would probably attract police from neighbouring counties and piss off everyone within a 10 mile radius so it must be fitted with a DB killer and some baffle wool. When fitting mine I got a DB killer for a 50mm outlet which I had to shorten slightly and cut vertical lines around the widest part to fit into the can (kind of like a castle nut), I drilled a hole in the end of the can to fit the db killer on with a nut and bolt. I wrapped the db killer loosely in 1 layer of baffle wool secured with some copper wire, this greatly reduced the noise to what I assume are legal levels. The can comes with a bracket which must be drilled so secure to the existing exhaust bracket mount, this was actually a bitch to drill because the metal is such good quality, I melted about 3 drill bits. On my particular model of bike the exhaust is 1 whole system welded together so I had to cut the existing can off using an angle grinder which was easy enough, the exhaust can then just slips on and is secured with a clamp. My pipe is just under 36mm in diameter so I had to wrap a couple of layers of sticky silver foil around the end and use some high temp RTV sealant to keep it air tight. Note that (as far as I know) the exhaust pipe on the pulse adrenaline has a smaller diameter and has a slip on exhaust as standard so this particular exhaust can may not with without the use of something to bridge the gap. I moved up from a 105 to a 110 jet after fitting the exhaust, I could probably push it to a 115 but I can't be arsed to do a plug chop test to see if the air to fuel mix is right.

DSCF0030.jpg

Here are the LEDs I have fitted to the front and read mudguards; I have red at the back wired to the brake lights and white at the front wired directly to the battery with it's own fuse. Each set of lights are wired to their own switches so they can be turned off or on at will, the switches are illuminated when turned on which I find quite useful as I'm less likely to leave them on over night.

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg
    Last edited by spencer2004; 05-12-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

2. #2 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    The front LEDs are glued and secured with zip ties but the rear ones are just glued on, super glue is enough to secure these as they are very light, as you can see in the picture I have glued on some kitchen foil to act as a reflector which actually works quite well. These lights look amazing in the dark especially on unlit roads. The LED strips can be obtained here by the way. When wiring them up I used 2 3 pin switches; pin 1 goes to live (positive terminal on battery or positive terminal / pin / wire for break lights), pin 2 goes to the positive wire for the LED strip and pin 3 connects to the ground wire on the LED strip and also goes to ground or the common pin / wire / terminal on break lights.

I chose white at the front and red at the back as this is the only legal way to do it (I think), anything other than white at the front, yellow on the sides and red at the back is illegal. Blue and green lights can look too much like emergency vehicles so stay away from them and no flashing or stobeing lights either. This doesn't apply when you are of road by the way, you can do what ever you like then.

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

Other stuff:
    Rear luggage box; very useful for storing shopping or your helmet when leaving your bike somewhere, I couldn't live with out it.

Heated grips; essential for the winter.

Iridium spark plug; makes the engine run a tad better and lasts longer than standard spark plugs, I have the CR8EIX version.

Future mods:

Big bore kit

Oil cooler

Racing tyres (possibly)

Amber LEDs fitted under the fuel tank and wired to the indicators
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #3 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    Here's a fairly unique mod that I've done; it's a fully functional cigarette lighter which can also be used to plug various accessories into such as a phone charger. I simply cut a hole in the side fairing, put the cigarette lighter socket into it and wired it directly to the battery.

DSCF0047.jpg

And here are the indicator LEDs, I have glued them to the under side of the fuel tank and wired them to the rear indicators, they work very well in the dark and they illuminate the engine quite nicely.

DSCF0056.jpg

I'll probably order the big bore kit on monday, I plan to take lots of pictures and make a step-by-step guide for others to follow so stay tuned for that :)

4. #4 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi where did you get your main jet from?

5. #5 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru

6. #6 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    How does the new exhaust sound vs the old one?

Ill be picking up a new bike between now and december, currently im set on the LexMoto lowrider, which also has a K157FMI engine in it. One of the first mods is going to be the exhaust, ive got a few megaphone style ones saved, just weighing up the options as to which gives the best performance boost whilst sounding nice, not to loud and not to wimpy.

7. #7 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    Well as a matter of fact I put my old exhaust back on a few days ago mainly because I have my test next monday. I think the performance actually improved a little which is a bit confusing. Now I can actually hear my air filter and it makes a great exhaust like sound now. I never liked the shiny exhaust can because it looked like crap and it was too loud for my liking.

There are a lot of nice exhausts on taobao that should fit your bike, it might be a better option for you as you will have to cut your current exhaust in half to put a new can on as it is welded together into a single piece.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=10525886453

8. #8 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    Well as a matter of fact I put my old exhaust back on a few days ago mainly because I have my test next monday. I think the performance actually improved a little which is a bit confusing.
    Nothing to be really confused about.
    Most "cheaper" aftermarket exhausts leave the bike with less power, very often in the most important mid of your rpm range (there where you are most of the time in city traffic), and especially if you do not change fuel settings in the carburetor or the FI system.

The only reason you THINK an aftermarket exhaust increases power is the noise, which tickles the brain ...
    It requires the expensive exhausts (and consequently the R&D behind it) to get power gains.

9. #9 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    Did you get round to doing a big bore upgrade, if so any real gains in performance with it?

10. #10 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    A little noticeable gain but nothing amazing.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast