Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. #51 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    It looks very much like the 2 welds on your pipe is where the catalytic converter is placed. My exhaust is different to yours but I took mine apart and inside the down pipe there is another pipe which is slightly smaller which is prehaps some form of restriction but the real restriction is in the can / silencer; there are 2 plates inside with 1 small hole in each one (about 1 or 2 cm) for the exhaust gasses to squeese through, I would assume that your's is simula to this.

The pipes comming from the air box are for the SAI valve and the crank case breather, the SAI valve injects air in to the exhaust to burn off any unburnt fuel and thus reduce emmisions and the crank case breather exhausts combustion gasses that leak past the piston rings. You can simple tie off these tubes out of the way where rain is unlikely to get in to them and prehaps secure a piece of cloth over the end of each one as an air filter. The crank case breather only blows gasses out and the SAI valve does not suck air through anything critical (I think) so they do not need propper filtering.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

2. #52 £15 Super Headlight 
    C-Moto Guru
    I haven't done any interesting mods to my bike for a while so I thought that I'd make a powerful main beam headlight that doesn't melt everything around it or arc high voltage everywhere like my crappy HID bulbs did.

This headlight uses a 50W LED that I got from eBay for about £4, the great thing about LEDs is that they are way more efficient that standard filament bulbs (i.e. less waste heat and more light output) which means that a 50W LED outputs 10+ times more light than a filament bulb (I don't know the exact numbers). The light is focused with a lens which gives a focus cone of about 70 degrees. The LED requires about 33V to work so a boost converter is required to power it, I made one my self to save money but I think that they are fairly cheap to buy pre-made. I am running it at about 65W but I don't think that it will do much harm as long as it's cooled properly.

100W LEDs are roughly the same price but I have found that my alternator cannot keep up with that kind of power draw even at high RPMs so the battery goes dead.

20140331_231929.jpg

The LED has to be cooled with a large heat sink since it outputs a fair amount of heat, I used an old CPU heat sink and it seems to do the job, I did not attach a fan as the air rushing around it while moving should be enough. I made a housing with some acrylic and lots of glue to make it as waterproof as possible. I haven't mounted it yet but I plan to put it on the front mud guard.

I haven't done much testing in the dark but it is very very bright; looking at it from any angle is blinding and the beam can make a dark piece of paper smoke at close range so I think that it will do well lighting up country roads, I just have to remember not to flash anyone or risk setting their eyes on fire.

This picture doesn't really do it much justice due to automatic light balance and stuff on my camera but note how the camera had to almost completely black out everything not in the light beam's path to keep the picture from being over exposed.

20140331_232250.jpg

More pics to come once I stick it on my bike.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #53 Re: £15 Super Headlight 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Spencer. I know this is an old thread but is there any chance you can remember what air filter you had/have on your Sinnis max 2.
    Cheers.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456