Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    Update, after stripping the carb theres no signs of a blockage, gave it a good clean and checked everythin over, all seems ok, besides the main o ring\seal been a twat to put back together.

After lots of little adjustments on the mixture screw (stupidly possitioned), its almost running right again, instead of the rev chugs happening round 5k its now hitting 8 and 9k before it happens, so another few small turns and then back of the idle mixture screw and it should be spot on again, then ill pull out the airbox and make sure its not pulling air in from any holes etc.

Not sure whats gone on tho, the dealer only swaped petrol tanks, so i cant see them having messed the mixture up, the pipe going from the fuel tap to the carb was also replaced for a bigger pipe, but that would'nt cause it would it?

2. #22 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    A bigger pipe shouldn't have caused it however if there was any crap inside the pipe it could have caused a blockage or restriction somewhere. When I replaced my fuel pipe I think I got something sucked into my carb because the float thingy inside got stuck and was causing fuel to come out of the overflow pipe but I could not see any dirt inside either. I am kind of confused as to how changing the idle mix fixed your problem as that only affects the fuel to air ratio from idle to about 1/8 throttle.

I've just thought of another possible cause actually; I removed my carb once to change the main jet and after I replaced it I would get the same symptoms as you. It would run fine at low revs but anything higher than about 5k it would missfire and it confused the hell out of me for a while but I then discovered that I had an intake leak between the carb and the cylinder head. I fixed the problem by making a gasket with some thick gasket paper to ensure a good seal and put it between the intake boot and the cylinder head and it worked, a new o-ring would probably have worked too. The origional oring wasn't damaged so maybe our engine and carb are prone to warping in places over time.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #23 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    Ok so the spot lights were good but only slightly better than the headlight so I put a couple of HID bulbs in them. Wiring the HID kit was sort of a pain in the arse since there is no room for the balasts in or on the head light unit so I had to put them under the seat where the air box used to be. This required a wire from the main beam wire to a relay which connects the battery to the balasts and then 4 wires go to the bulbs. Because I am a cheapo I used some wire I took out of an old washing machine, this wire was too short so I soldered several pieses together and insulated the connections with heat shrink, because 20,000 volts likes to jump through the air a bit more than 12 volts I was getting arcs of electricrty comming from every joint to the frame. A few bits of electrical tape later the arcing problem was solved and I waterproffed the balasts with a saisburys bag and some more electrical tape and shoved all the excess wiring and the balasts under the seat because I really couldn't be bothered to do it propely.

So I went out in the dark a while ago and tested them out and so far it seems really good, the beam is focused enough to illuminate the road ahead and there is a lot of light leakage so it illuminates the ground directly in front of me too. The light is a slight shade of blue instead of being yellow which looks very nice. The bulbs take about 10 seconds to warm up but they seem to be at full brightness for a fraction of a second when first turned on which is useful for flashing people.

I think it's worth getting a kit for your bike if you go on country roads at night, the kit is only £20 and is pretty easy to install. I wouldn't use it as a dipped beam however as it will blind everyone comming towards you and would be an MOT fail.
    Last edited by spencer2004; 01-12-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

4. #24 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    as to how changing the idle mix fixed your problem as that only affects the fuel to air ratio from idle to about 1/8 throttle..
    No the other screw, on my carb theres an idle screw on the side and if you get down and look under the carb theres a second screw for high rev mixture, ive adjusted it quite a bit (6 ful turns at least) and the bike seems to be performaing again like normal, done a plug check after the first few rides to make sure its not to rich\weak but its spot on. Which adds to the confusion, that screw should not of been changed by the dealers, just to swap over petrol tanks, unless they are trying dirty tactics to get me to go to hem for a service.

Got some new mods lined up just awaiting the parts been delivered, first up ordered a set of these;

Snap5.jpg

Going to wire them in so they come on\of with the headlight. And theres some red LED strips to come, which will be fitted to the rear of the pilion back rest, then wired intot he rear brake.

5. #25 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hmmmm thats wierd, it sounds like your mech changed your idle fuel/air mix for some reason. 6 turns is a lot, your idle jet must be way too small; you should only have to turn it about 2 times.

What are thoes lights supposed to be by the way? Can you send me a link?

6. #26 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    From my experiences so far the mech at my dealer is under qualified\knows nothing about what hes doing, the bike was not pdi checked for starters, and all the problems ive had etc.

The lights are handguards, ive fitted heated grips, and figured some handguards would also help keep the icy winds of my hands, these ones caught my attention since they will let on coming idiots know exactly how wide my bike is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-...item2326006d61

7. #27 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    Oh bugger I've just got some standard hand guards but I wish I got them instead, they are much cooler.

I don't like mechanics either, I paid a mech to service my bike when I first got it and the guy that did it looked like he was on work experence. He did an oil and filter change, changed the spark plug when it didn't need changing and lubricated some stuff with this horrible lube that looked like seamen and charged me almost £90. After that I bought a Haynes manual and read it seveal times, now I can do my own services and pretty much anything else that needs doing.

8. #28 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    You could always get some white led strips and mod your hand guards as you already have the switch for your front mudguard LED's in place, the guards i've got im just wiring directly into the headlight.

Was also considering one of these;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gauze-Air-...item231a5b225a

But not sure if it will increase performance (even if its just by a little bit)

off topic, happy xmas dude!

9. #29 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    C-Moto Guru
    happy xmas too :)

I did consider that air filter but I thought the cover would be too restrictive so I just got a standard cone filter and put half a coke bottle around it to keep the rain off and it turns out a rain cover is essential. I got a small performance gain from my cone filter paired with a bigger main jet in the carb and the filter makes a nice induction noise.

I might put some amber led strips on my hand guards and wire them to the indicator circuit since i have some laying about and then get rid of my front indicators

10. #30 Re: My motorcycle mods so far 
    I've got ot take my carb of and check what size jet is currently in it before i do the air filter mod, so i might wait for better weather to do that since my bikes currently kept on the drive, and do the sprocket mod in the mean time.

I did come across these filters which have a half cover http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...item2ea0c9f788 if it does the job right at stoping the rain id go with that one over the other one as it goes better with my bike style, and its easier to clean out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast