Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    The question as to whether buying a Chinese motorcycle or not really has much more to do with individual circumstances than anything else.

First I want to make it clear that there are two types of bikes made in China. The first I'll call a 'joint-venture bike' which is usually a Japanese branded motorcycle, such as Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha, made by many companies Sundiro and Wuyang Honda, Qingqi Suzuki, Jianshe Yamaha etc. Mechanically speaking joint-venture bikes will nearly always be OK for anyone in any country, although are more prone to rust than bikes made in other countries, models include Yamaha YBR125, Yamaha YBR250, Suzuki GSX125, Honda CBF125, Honda CBF150 etc.

The second type of bike I'll call a 'China bike' by this I mean a Chinese manufacturer which isn't owned partly by another company sometimes even owned by the Chinese government, but might even own foreign brands such as Benelli or AJS. These days 'China bikes' can be very good, complete crap or somewhere in-between.

1. You live in China and you want to ride legally without paying a huge amount of money, then you'll need a Chinese made bike. If you decide to buy a 'China bike' it proves unreliable the parts and labor will be cheap enough to maintain the bike cost effectively. Although with 'China bikes' always research the bike you are planning to buy, to make sure it is a good one. Never buy on looks alone. Remember that fuel injection, water-cooling and multiple cylinders can simply add to the problems. Really think about a 'joint venture bike' unless you are certain that you want a purely Chinese bike for some reason such as off-road ability or a multiple cylinder engine. If you buy a 'China bike' you'll need to be mechanically knowledgeable but not necessarily capable as you'll need to know when your bike isn't quite right.

2. You live in a developing country with pretty cheap labor for mechanics
    and not much in the way of domestically made motorcycles. A 'China bike' could be an option, but only buy if there are many reports that the bike is good and there are parts available. Buying a 'joint venture bike' or second hand imported bike might well be the most cost effective long term solution.

3. You live in a western country such as the United Kingdom, the United States or Australia, really unless you are a professional or keen amateur mechanic forget the idea of buying a 'China bike' unless there are many, many reports that it is a good bike, with an established following parts warranty and dealer back-up. The average 'China bike' will need too much work to be cost effective for the average rider with average mechanical competence. A 'joint venture' bike could be a good choice, but beware the materials are cheaper than bikes made in other countries and the bike may well rust and generally deteriorate faster than bike made in other countries. Often a 2nd hand Japanese made bike could often be the most cost effective option.

2. #2 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    Good analyses.

I was looking at the Suzuki GSX125 yesterday interestingly they marketed it as a trail bike.I wondered how long it would last if you consistently did the things they where doing in the photos.

3. #3 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    I live in a developing country with pretty cheap labor for mechanics:

Im intending to purchase a sportbike and its seams to be Chinese made.
    Engine Yingang 250 water cooled. I have search and found out its engine is a copy of Honda NX250. I assume as a very stable and duarable engine as its also sold to USA by shineray brand.
    I would like to advice guys like me to consider Honda and Suzuki Chinese copy engines as they are more reliable.

Thanks for the post ZMC888!

4. #4 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    Deomi2i, I think the original Honda engine would be very reliable, and also pretty powerful for a single cylinder. However I would be cautious as the fuel injection has been added by the Chinese, as it wasn't needed when the original bike was designed. I'd love it if the bike was fantastic and the fuel injection very reliable, but there is always some doubt. Are you sure that you wouldn't want a 2nd hand Japanese made motorcycle instead?

5. #5 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Are you sure that you wouldn't want a 2nd hand Japanese made motorcycle instead?
    Well, i could simply get a Kawasaki 600R starting at USD4500 depending on the manuf year. The biggest problem here is spare parts for this Japanese bikes. Most lie around dead. I love the speed and sound of the 4.inline 600cc bike. For a start i prefer Chinese.
    My cruising speed is 60km/hr to max 100km/hr, Chinese 250cc will suit my need for now.

I will buy a carburetor engine, as EFI require special instruments to calibrate which are even more expensive and much can not be done with FI as in carb.

6. #6 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    ZMC888, Do you know any reliable site where i can get a used Japanese Moto?
    Last edited by Deom2i; 04-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.

7. #7 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    thanks for the write up.. i was about to buy a motorcycle. but i was just chosen a good one and i want to have with a good motorcycle parts not just the external parts but also the internal one.

8. #8 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    In my Country 98% of all bike are Chinese 125cc which are used as Moto taix. These bikes are tough stones...all weather...all time performing...They are branded SUNLG and i believe they have a Suzuki 125cc Engine copy.

If these bikes can, i have no doubt with the new designs upgrade in these days. So you cant go wrong with Chinese bikes too...they are advancing and they are doing it at a very fast phase...!! Wait till 2013 the quality will be par with the Japanese std!!

9. #9 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Deom2i View Post
    In my Country 98% of all bike are Chinese 125cc which are used as Moto taix. These bikes are tough stones...all weather...all time performing...They are branded SUNLG and i believe they have a Suzuki 125cc Engine copy...
    http://www.sanlg-motor.com.cn/produc...id=1940&cid=92
    Isn't that just a GN125 powered by CG125 i.e Standard "shape" in East Guandong & Fujian (The "REAL" Suzuki GN125 is always 1st choice BUT $$$... )
    The Suzi engine that based on GS125 needs GOOD oil which is DiFFCULT to maintain in Africa as commercial workhorse.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 04-27-2012 at 08:29 PM.

10. #10 Re: Should I buy a Chinese motorcycle? A brief guide. 
    Yes it is the same bike. I meant a clone from Suzuki engine not a real Suzuki engine!! So the engine CG125 is also a copy of same Suzuki?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast