Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hi from central Ohio 
    C-Moto Noob
    Posts on this Website helped me decide to buy a Qlink XF200. After a 20 year hiatus from riding, I wanted something inexpensive and fun to get back in.

George at G S Powersports in Westerville, Ohio was the deciding factor. He talked frankly about the reliability of different bikes, including the XF200, then gave me a very good price in January of this year.
    1) The brakes - George mentioned that the front brake would greatly improve with some miles (kilometers! ;o) on it. At first they definitely did not inspire confidence. After three hundred miles or so, it stops very well.
    2) George mentioned changing to a 42 tooth rear sprocket. I am glad he did. It is a big improvement. That said, I would not want to go to fewer than 42 with the current front sprocket as the engine would not have enough pull left in fifth gear.

I read the manual and am (painfully) trying to following the break in schedule. Keeping a bike with so little power below 5000 rpm for the first 1000 kilomerters is the painful part. I am noticing that the engine is gaining some power and desire to rev as the break in period progresses.

I did the first oil change at around 120 kilometers with Suzuki 10-40 and a K&N KN-131 filter, re-using the little o-ring as K&N for some reason does not include one. (George from G S Powersports is ordering a bunch of them.) Plenty of shiny particulate in the filter and a nice sheen in the oil. I did a second oil change (oil is inexpensive, and I want to get the break-in junk out, so why not) at around 600 kilometers. Very little particulate showing in the filter. Only a slight sheen in the oil.

GPS shows that the speedometer is around 10% optimistic. I can live with that.

Fuel mileage is incredible! Previous tank was 77.6 mpg, not taking into account the optimistic speedometer (if I am doing my km to miles correctly). I have not calculated it for my last tank.

Anyway, thank you very much for this site and to all of the contributors.

ManyMPG

2. #2 Re: Hi from central Ohio 
    Happy riding! thanks

3. #3 Re: Hi from central Ohio 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you, Deom2i.

I wanted to post an update on my Qlink XF200. After reaching the 1000 km mark, the valves were adjusted and the oil was changed again. No particulate showing in the oil filter (which I take to be a good sign for the break in).

The fuel mileage on the last tank was 79 mpg (if I am doing my math correctly), not taking into account the optimism of the speedometer.

I bought a bigger bike to feel comfortable cruising on the freeways with, but this is still the bike I hop on to ride around town, or the country roads around here (which have speed limits of 45 - 55 mph). It has plenty of power to run with traffic, and is so light and flickable that it is fun.

I originally bought the XF200 as an inexpensive motorcycle to get back into the sport on. I thought it would only be good for getting the cobwebs off. I never new what a blast it would be to ride.

If you have questions about the Qlink XF200, or need service, I recommend G S Powersports in Westerville, Ohio.

ManyMPG

4. #4 Re: Hi from central Ohio 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear manympg,

Greetings, welcome to MCM and pleased to read you are having a good experience with the qlink. How about posting up some pictures?

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)