Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    I have a questions that isn't entirely related to this thread but I couldn't be bothered to make a new one; I'd like to wire a set of LEDs and some heated grips to the main relay so that they can only be turned on with the key in, will it be able to handle the extra load or will I need a seperate relay?

I was thinking on doing the same...All device to turn on when key is position to on, except the remote which will be on all the time.
    Its a nice question lets hear how expert will answer.

Are the relay universal or each is manufactured per specific function?
    Thanks again for all your tips?

2. #22 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Deom2i View Post
    I was thinking on doing the same...All device to turn on when key is position to on, except the remote which will be on all the time.
    Its a nice question lets hear how expert will answer.

Are the relay universal or each is manufactured per specific function?
    Thanks again for all your tips?
    The relays are universal and not specific to each bike, but can be of different quality and different electrical data. On a good quality bike it is significantly over dimensioned, so you can add various electrical stuff. The LED's is what you call a resistive load, like a light bulb. Capacitive loads (rarely exists on bikes) or inductive loads, as a coil, for instance in a horn or a starter motor, put significantly more load on the relay contacts.

3. #23 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I just thought of something; can't I just test this by using a multimeter on the battery terminals, reading the amps and volts then multiplying them together to get the wattage output?
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

4. #24 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    I just thought of something; can't I just test this by using a multimeter on the battery terminals, reading the amps and volts then multiplying them together to get the wattage output?
    Yes - but what you will be measuring is the actual wattage, effect, from the generator at just that moment, not the capacity of the generator. If you have a well charged battery, that will be less than the maximum. What you need is an artificial load, which is a variable resistor, you disconnect the bikes electrical system, give it a good rev, adjust the load/resistor so you have 12 volts, read the amps, and there you should have the max generator power. Repeat that by adjusting the resistor so you have 13.6 volt, that means the battery would be charged, and you have a practical max power if you want the battery charged.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123