Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    Nicked / NOT road worthy (accidents/ emission ... ) that sold to "exporter" are the majority. Tax "FREE" NEW bike ordered from Hong Kong.
    EVERYthing u can imagine that a "religious" guy won't touch are there
    -
    NOT only bike are smuggled in, these "monster" TOO. Keep left is the "correct" manner in some site.
    http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/HnCVmSIk78w/
    Last edited by humanbeing; 04-23-2012 at 12:07 AM.

2. #12 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    I'm my Haynes manual it says that the alternator rotor is attached to the left side case cover and it looks fairly simple to remove and replace, the only annoyance is that I'd have to drain the oil and get a new side gasket to do so. I think I've seen the CRB250 rotors on Taobao for around £16 but I would imagine that they are fairly heavy and the postage would be expensive but If I was to get one I suppose I could just tap the original m5 holes with a m6 tap. I thought that solar panels would be a really good idea at first as I could attach them to the top of my luggage box so they wouldn't look too bad but most of the energy goes into lighting which I only use at night so that's a no go :(

A small generator that is separate from the engine could be a better idea now that I think about it; there is some room inside my bike where the air box used to be which is directly above the drive chain so I could connect it to the chain using a small sprocket. If I was to do that would I be better off wiring it directly to the battery, the rectifier or it's own voltage rectifier?

It would be nice to have enough electrical power for a couple of 50w spot lights for unlit roads at night or to upgrade to a 100w headlight bulb just for the sake of it ;)
    If you attach a separate generator connected to the drive chain, you may need some gears, a planet gear for instance, in-between to get the right revolutions on the generator so it produces. The chain is pretty slow moving. Make sure you place a regulator between the generator and the battery, the battery should have 13.6 volt, and you can carefully increase that to 14, but at 14.5 about, the battery starts "boiling" and if it is a sealed gel battery it can explode. Not so nice.

Most bikes of that size, you may not have to drain the oil, there is often just a dry cover to expose the flywheel and generator, and you can adjust the contact breakers, unless the bike has electronic ignition.

3. #13 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    I have a question:
    Suppose the engine is 250cc, and i have the following extras:
    1. Two HID kit 35wx2
    2. 8pcs LED strip light Kit
    3. Alarm
    4. Two 3Amps Horns

Stock:
    1. Two headlight but only one light per selected beam (55W)
    2. Normal flat horns.
    3. Battery 9AH

Will this affect battery and charging when running?

4. #14 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Nah that's fine; you're only slightly increasing the wattage drawn by the headlights, LEDs don't really use much power, the horn is going to be barely used and the alarm is only on when the engine is turned off. The battery acts as kind of a buffer so if you do start to draw more power then your alternator can generate (which you shouldn't with your current config) the battery will supply the extra power for as long as it holds charge.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

5. #15 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Deom2i View Post
    I have a question:
    Suppose the engine is 250cc, and i have the following extras:
    1. Two HID kit 35wx2
    2. 8pcs LED strip light Kit
    3. Alarm
    4. Two 3Amps Horns

Stock:
    1. Two headlight but only one light per selected beam (55W)
    2. Normal flat horns.
    3. Battery 9AH

Will this affect battery and charging when running?
    It definitely will have some effect, but it depends how you are using all that, and how you drive the bike. Road use at higher speeds and revs give more charging. Usually an alarm does not use much, but of course, you are not using it when driving, the HID headlight is only used at night maybe (it is good safety thinking to use it always though), The use of the LED's are probably negligible (Each three LED's usually use 0.020 A), The HID lights use about 7 A, horns 6A, which means that if you stop the engine, leave the lights on and the horn blaring (don't try this in your neighborhood) your battery is flat after 40 minutes about, providing it is in best condition and fully charged at the beginning. It has nothing to do with your engine size at all, but with the amperage output from your generator at different revolutions. The manufacturer may have some info there, otherwise you can easily teat it out yourself. Remember too that the charging efficiency of a Lead acid battery is about 60% to 80%, that means that if your generator produces 10 Amp during one hour, only 60% of that ends up in the battery. Usually cruising bikes get larger generator capacity, as it is expected that people mount more electrical gear on them. Again, mounting a volt meter and ampereage meter vill give a lot of useful information.

6. #16 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    Thanks guys for the information.
    The added voltage will be around 20w extra from HID and for the LED strips which have total of around 86LED (86x0.02A)= approx 2Amps.
    wattage is calculated by multiplying 12V or 13.4v?

As per your info it means the bike charging motor can supply enough power.

7. #17 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    I have another question, sorry it not based on the thread title but still deals with bike electricity.

My bike has two projector headlamps. Left for Low beam and Right for High beam, Bulb type H4 single. Each lights independently.
    I want to add HID kit but i need two head light to be on when Low and High beam. If i use H4 H/L bulb it can work?

Now if i want only one to light on Low beam and two on high beam is this possible?
    Im thinking on using H4 h/L for Low beam and single H4 H for high beam. Can i fool the system both both to work because low bulb has high bulb too?

H6m is also used in bikes and has same socket connection with H4 H/L, should i go with H6m?

8. #18 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    Thanks guys for the information.
    The added voltage will be around 20w extra from HID and for the LED strips which have total of around 86LED (86x0.02A)= approx 2Amps.
    wattage is calculated by multiplying 12V or 13.4v?

As per your info it means the bike charging motor can supply enough power.
    The LED's work on about 3.5 Volt. so in the strips the use 3 in series and a resistor to pick up the difference, so the actual use is probably a third of what you mention. Watch too, sometimes one of those light "dots" that look like one LED can contain tree LED's, that means four "connectors" at the end of the strip, and sometimes those are of three different colors. The nominal wattage on most light bulbs are, or should be, measured at 12 V, so if you run them at 13.6 volt, usually the maximum for the battery, the electricity use increases, but it is not linear as the filament is hotter with less resistance as a result. The easy way to find out is by measuring. There is a +- 10% variation usually, Japanese light bulbs are more accurate while Chinese is the opposite.

9. #19 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    I have another question, sorry it not based on the thread title but still deals with bike electricity.

My bike has two projector headlamps. Left for Low beam and Right for High beam, Bulb type H4 single. Each lights independently.
    I want to add HID kit but i need two head light to be on when Low and High beam. If i use H4 H/L bulb it can work?

Now if i want only one to light on Low beam and two on high beam is this possible?
    Im thinking on using H4 h/L for Low beam and single H4 H for high beam. Can i fool the system both both to work because low bulb has high bulb too?

H6m is also used in bikes and has same socket connection with H4 H/L, should i go with H6m?
    That should not be a problem. Best is to leave all switches on the bike as they are, and use relays to achieve what you want. This is completely independent on what system you use, or combination of systems. It may need some clever physical re engineering of how the light bulbs are fitted though. You could also add manual extra switches to change the "behavior" of the bike lights.

10. #20 Re: How much wattage can the alternator on a 125cc output roughly? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I have a questions that isn't entirely related to this thread but I couldn't be bothered to make a new one; I'd like to wire a set of LEDs and some heated grips to the main relay so that they can only be turned on with the key in, will it be able to handle the extra load or will I need a seperate relay?
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast