Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    Hey all,

Nothing too dramatic, but it needs to get planned now : in a few days we'll be in Kunming (the trip from Shanghai is going very fine, I'll start the ride report, I promise !), but I have a leaking left front fork seal on the YBR 250. Nothing too dramatic but yesterday in Longji (Guilin) I found a small puddle of oil below the fork.

I tried some tricks (the thin plastic thing to slide between the tube and the seal to remove any dirt or small stones which could produce the leak), but to no avail.

My questions are for the guys in Kunming (Andre, Bartez88, etc.) :
    - could you please advise me to the best Yamaha dealer in town ? The one on Dianchi lu that Bartez88 mentioned, or another ? I need one with a repair shop or service center.
    - would they have the fork seal in stock (you can tell by their inventory sometimes or their garage shop), or do they need to order new ones ? Basically the big difference is : do I order some from Taobao and have them delivered at their shop, or do they have ones already ?

Thanks a lot for any help !

Fred on the road ;-)

2. #2 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Im trying to start up google maps, but my connection is very slow. So i cant show you where the yamaha dealer is, but they do have some parts. I would doubt it though if they have the parts on stock. They do have a proper garage and big show room though. Just try there otherwise go to the parts market where there are shitloads of parts. They dont have many parts for a ybr250 specificly but i think they could fit some new fork seals.
    My advise, go to the yamaha shop first. They are open every day from 9-6 i think, even public holidays. There phone number is listed on the chinese yamaha website.
    good luck!

3. #3 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The yamaha shop in kunming:
    phone number: 0871-4320655/4169718

good luck!

4. #4 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    Ok thanks Bartez88, I'll call them to check if they have this part on stock.

5. #5 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi Fred,

I am only aware of the Yamaha Dealer Bartez88 mentioned.
    If they cant help you, I have two small but capable mechanics on hand. Let me know if needed.

Have a Good trip and keep the rubber side down!

6. #6 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    Thanks Andre ! I checked on their website, and it seems to be a pretty big "Yamaha Plaza" over there on Dianchi lu...

I may take up your offer if the problem is still there when we hit Kunming and if the Yamaha store cannot help us in good time.
    I write "if the problem is still here" because I tried again the thin plastic trick : remove the dust seal, then put a thin plastic film between the real fork seal and the tube, then pump the front fork a couple of time, so that the plastic film will maybe dislodge any dust or small particles which could cause the seal to leak.
    To do that I used something quite useful : the plastic film over my smartphone screen...

I then cleaned everything and will check again tomorrow morning if it leaked again.
    Anyway when we hit Kunming (in 5-6 days I guess) I'll go to the Yamaha center for a global maintenance of the bike.

Thanks again guys !

Fred

7. #7 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    be aware that a seal can be identified by

outside diameter, inside diameter and thickness

so if you cant get a yamaha part go to an engineering supply shop ,selling bearings and seals

you will certainly be able to find a seal to fit

8. #8 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    Well noted Zhu, thank you !
    That's a very good point, as in China you are able to find many things you could not expect to find, in small shops.

Much more practical than in Europe for that matter...

9. #9 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    Hey guys, I'm at the Yamaha dealer on dianchi lu right now. They are changing the seal, the tyres and the front brake pads (I asked them). They are quite friendly and the laoban is shanghainese, so WE can even talk about home ! ;)

More info as I have more time as they fix the bike : the front brake pads were almost worn out, that's why I asked them to change them.
    As for the tyres, I got a flat on the rear one 2 days ago, fixed it road-side with a plug, the tyres would have been good for another 5,000km I reckon, but with the roads we had until now, I chose the safe way and will not worry about them anymore...
    Last edited by Fred; 04-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.

10. #10 Re: URGENT - Yamaha dealer in Kunming / Leaking left fork seal 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Hey guys, I'm at the Yamaha dealer on dianchi lu right now. They are changing the seal, the tyres and the front brake pads (I asked them). They are quite friendly and the laoban is shanghainese, so WE can even talk about home ! ;)

More info as I have more time as they fix the bike : the front brake pads were almost worn out, that's why I asked them to change them.
    As for the tyres, I got a flat on the rear one 2 days ago, fixed it road-side with a plug, the tyres would have been good for another 5,000km I reckon, but with the roads we had until now, I chose the safe way and will not worry about them anymore...
    Fred,
    I see your post in the classifieds.
    My question for you is, after your trip, you're going to sell your bike.
    If you are selling it without the bike's license would you let me know?

ps:Next time if your plastic trick didn't work try dental floss.

EGGROLL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast