Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    Okay okay okay... I have been off riding the TR or ST 1300's little brother as I call it.

First impressions are good, the bike is smooth, really smooth. The gearbox is slick and easy to shift. The 650 TR feels very well balanced and quite nibble when slotting through traffic. One of my main conserns before the bike arrived (having bought it sight unseen) was its over all dimentions, much to my suprise the bike suits my 1.85 meter frame just fine. My feet are fully planted whiles stopped and my arms are comfortable on the (ugly) handle bars. The riding position is upright, think commuter bike, but the my feet and legs are a bit tucked up under me like a rce bike.

The performance charater is sutble, in the sense that the bikes power delivery comes on nice and easy, without any jurking or lurching. Below 6000rpm the bike can feel underpowered when running with other bikes like ducati's. That all changes past 6000 rpms, the powerband kicks in and the bike starts to move. Even at high RPMs the bike is still smooth almost nothing is felt in the bars or pegs.
    Braking is fine, nothing WoW and also nothing to complain about. The bike has dual disk brakes up front which can bring you to a complete stop very quickiy and even though the front supension is plain jane non adujstable there is no real noticable nose dive under heavy braking and the entire bike remain very stable and controllable during emergency breaking and avoiding (tested many times in the last two days TIC).

Interestingly many of you have asked about the price, I don't know what people are complaining about for 46,800 rmb the fair deal for 650 watercooled, fuel injected sport touring bike, considering the next comparable LEGAL bike is in the 100,000 rmb range (I dont include regal raptors or any other smaller displacement bikes). Its not just an NK with a windshield is a differnt model completely it just shares an engine. Hell the plastics are better then Bennelli and the engine is better then the JH 600 (which I also own). Now that being said the bike is a little under equipped. Looking at the dash its analogue both the speedo and the RPM gauge. with only the odometer and fuel gauge being in LCD display in the lower right coner which is backlight when the lights are on. The TR does not have any type of trip computer or even a clock . Indicator lights (idiot lights) are on the outer edge of the inner fairing and are very bright, maybe too bright. On the fairing there is room for speakers, and there are panels that are removable or drillable depending on your choice of installation for a stereo system. A kit is not currently available from CF moto, all though I am told by the production manager in HangZhou they intend on designing and building one for aftermarket sale. There are two glove boxes below the handle bars one that is lockable with the ignition key and the other is unsecured but has a nice postitive latch. They seem to be waterproof but mostlikely they are water resistant. The mirrors are built into the fairing and are well placed and only a small amount of my lower elbow can be seen, they don't viberate much and have good enough visibilty to not be a consern. They are also designed as breakway so if you clip something while driving damage will be minimal and you can just simply pick the unit up and snap it back in place.
    The handle bars are Ugly yes but comfy, the designer of the NK definitely used the Honda ST 1300 and the Yamaha FJR 1300 as a guide and the handle bars are a product of this relationship. However they are attached like any other set of bars. Its easy to swap out the bars for a regular set of risers and bars. The controls are the same that are on the NK and they are jsut fine. The clutch and brake levers adjustable and function smoothly.
    The seat is a single peice and is quite comfortable even after a few hours, it seems to be softer and thicker then the NK's and its narrow enough at the front for you to grip the tank comfortably while cornering. Now my long legs actually rest on the lower fairing while riding and at first it comfortable because it allows you to fully relax your legs on long straights but after a few hours without knee padding the knee cap can become a little tender. I am not sure why CF moto thought that such an aggressive leg position was needed but I think that lower aftermarket pegs might help with that.

The Head lights are the Automove style incandecent and the parking lights are LED. The brake light is also LED but are a bit dim when NOT lit up under braking, durining braking the lights are very bright. Turnsignals are LED upfront and bulds in the rear, both sets well placed and very bright. No automatic cancel on the signals but big green indicator on the inner fairing left and right respectively.

The side of the bike have these rather large engine guards like on the ST 1300, however they appear to be hollow so I am not sure whether or not they will really help in a crash and I hope I never find out the hard way. They do seem to work quite well as highway bars.....

The boxes are a nice bit of kit, they are none removable and are make of nice thick ABS. The latch and locks are good, not great but good and the each box can fit a full size helmet and then some.
    IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    The boxes are felt lined which is a nice touch. They stick out only as wide as the mirrors so you can lane split through traffic quite easily. The boxes are not ment to take a hit and there is not crach bars either. A stick on the outside indicates that the max load is on 3kgs per bag, which seems a little light to me but therr is a metal subframe supporting the bags which at least indicates to me the possibilty of handling more... A top box will be a must for longer trips or trips 2 up. The boxes are a bit on the small side, as I feel that they could have been much taller, meaning they could extend down more increasing the over all size to accomidate more gear but they seem acceptable for most occasions.

All in all the bike is great, for now.... only time will tell how she will hold up and how well the CF moto company supports its customers and products. SO far the CF moto group has high marks from its customers and the NK owners club in Shanghai is growing to quite a big group... I have only heard rave reveiws from owners about the attentive and fast acting behavior to the CF moto company. Even annoucing problem with bikes before the customers even realize and most importantly fix the problems quite swiftly. They even have gone to customers house to fix recall issues without have to be screamed at or even notified they notify you!!!!

A 2 year unlimtied mileage warranty is give with every purchase and at the time I ordered the bike the offer was 46,800 with 2700 rmb in free riding gear (which was quality stuff)

For the money its a very good bike! I would and have chosen it over the Bennelli Trek do the Bennelli's platic quality and because of the high viberations felt in the handle bars, as well as price. The fit and finish is comparable with other "high end" domestic and semi domestic brand bikes and is capible of being a commuter bike during the week and you long hual touring bike on the weeknds and holidays. I will leave Friday for a week long ride and will report more on the bike after....

FYI I got this bike from the Dealer on WuZong lu near Dragon Rider, Plates are not a probelm an I currently have 15 temporary plates which I attempt to get a HU C plate under my name. Its a address thing not a bike thing... Jaff the owner is great and very accomidating. If you interested in a bike be prepare to wait however as the y are currently only is small production right now and it seems they are building silver ones now, then black and finally Red.

IMG_0693.jpg

2. #12 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    C-Moto Guru
    Congratulations on your new bike, hope you'll enjoy it.

I've seen one in person a week or 2 ago. All I can say is: "CF Moto produces bikes for small people". A person of 170-175 cm can probably also fully plant his feet on this bike. We are in China, so if they focus on the domestic market I can understand the size of the bike. Apart from their 250 scooter, it's unlikely I will own any CFMoto in the near future. They've just don't have anything my size!

Depending on purpose of use, I'm sure it will make a nice bike for some people. Furthermore it's good to hear service/support does exist in China.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

3. #13 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    Congratulations on the bike fingers, keep us posted on the good and the bad.

I can't understand all this 'small bike size obsession' people are having with this bike and its unfaired brother. Smaller means lighter and more flickable any place I'd like to ride, such as a city or a mountain road.

Of course a street touring 600 will certainly seem lower and therefore smaller than a road/trail machine like a JH600, why would any manufacturer make a high clearance/high center of gravity/tall street bike?

4. #14 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    Thanks a lot SF, great start to what i'm hoping will be an ongoing thread!

More pictures!

I am impressed with your reports of the CFmoto customer service. Have there been many recalls so far with NK or TR?

Perhaps the side boxes don't go any lower to avoid getting burned by exhaust gases. Looks like a nice rubber seal around the box opening. I hope they stay waterproof and it doesn't deteriorate too soon.

What tires does the bike come with?

5. #15 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    More photos.....

The Guage cluster and indicator lights:
    IMG_0702.jpg

Rear veiw mirror:
    IMG_0703.jpg

CST is the tire of choice for the TR, more info @ csttires.com
    IMG_0704.jpg

Intergrated engine guards located halfway up the front fairing:
    IMG_0705.jpg

another shot of the guages and the digital fuel meter and odometer
    IMG_0719.jpg

6. #16 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    Glove Box on the right side without lock, note the cap for coolant:
    IMG_0718.jpg

Stereo speaker "blank". This plastic plate can be popped out of the holes in the plate can be drilled out for speaker installation. Several of CF moto's larger scooters have a built in MP3 system already so I dont think it will take long for them to come up with something for the TR. That being said I am taking my bike to a automotive customizing shop to have a high end system installed!!
    IMG_0720.jpg

The front LED turnsignal built into the mirror:
    IMG_0721.jpg

Headlights with High beam on (right side is High beam, left is low, so yes when using low beam only one light is lit.... i hate that)
    IMG_0723.jpg

Front dual disc brakes....
    IMG_0727.jpg

7. #17 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    Tires are probably CST Adreno Sport CM-AS22, by the look of it. Interestingly the CFMOTO website seems to think that the 650TR takes mini ATV tires!

Although I think they are... Front: 120/70ZR17 Rear: 160/60ZR17, based on stats for 650NK. A very standard size of tire. Very easy to switch to Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli etc. CST should be OK though.

8. #18 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post

Headlights with High beam on (right side is High beam, left is low, so yes when using low beam only one light is lit.... i hate that)
    IMG_0723.jpg
    Lol, it's as though they are tempting you to use the high beam all the time; therefore blending in with most of today's Chinese drivers.

9. #19 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    At least the drivers are seeing me... And Drivers here in Shanghai get so pissed when a motorcycle has its lights on, they start flashing me and hand signals and stuff but don't seem to car when other cars and SUV's blind an entire block with their HID's aimed right in the faces of the other drivers. My HD's lights are on all the time and I constantly being told "your light is on, you should turn it off"

10. #20 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    My HD's lights are on all the time and I constantly being told "your light is on, you should turn it off"
    Do you have any idea how much gas your wasting by running around with those lights on ?

Nice looking bike, what's with the "Automatic" on the crate that it came in?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast