Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: UPDATE, 4100 kms later 
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    Did you just say your "CF Moto Tech" fine tunes the ECU mapping after swapping cans?:
    MotoKai, there is a little tongue and cheek when I said that. They did their best to adjust the mixtures with the diagnostic computer they have for the TR. the process was similar yet less invovled then the HD remapp they do when you install new pipes on an HD.
    There is a good question, can I use a aftermarket "fuel pack" on the TR. its basically an 09' ER-6 N?

As far as association with CF moto, I have none. Other then the offical title of Pain in the Ass. As a CF moto customer like the other TR owners, I am a beta tester. Seems to be a common practice, copy a design, build a bike then sell it and let the first few brave customers find the problems. The difference is that CF moto is right there with support when you have a problem and even before. Also the CF Moto dealer I use and fully endorce is very good at supporting the product and is in turn supported by the factory. I have a direct line of communication with the manager in charge of the TR line at CF moto yet I have not needed to communicate directly with him and his team because Lao Zhu ( my dealer ) has been on top of everything.

CF moto has been very attentive when any of the customers have a real consern, problem or suggestion. They even has asked us at events they hold, for our honest opinion and I have see their team writing down what we are telling them an improvements shortly introduced. The TR is actually pretty squared away and needed only tweaks...

I really enjoy my TR, anyone on the fence about buying should just pull the trigger.

2. #42 Re: UPDATE, 4100 kms later 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Thanks for the detailed review.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    I really enjoy my TR, anyone on the fence about buying should just pull the trigger.
    Tempting, very tempting.

3. #43 Re: UPDATE, 4100 kms later 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Tempting, very tempting.
    Dear LJH,

And what, dare I ask, might you jettison from your fleet to make room for this fine steed? Or have you negotiated a larger fleet size with sweetie?

I know, it's a highly fuel injected question!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #44 Re: UPDATE, 4100 kms later 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear LJH,

And what, dare I ask, might you jettison from your fleet to make room for this fine steed? Or have you negotiated a larger fleet size with sweetie?

I know, it's a highly fuel injected question!

cheers
    Need some bikes for my FINALLY 90% approved WFOE () re MC biz, etc. What a nightmare that has been, but that's off-topic.

I've always liked the Honda ST, and it seems that Mr SF really knows what he is talking about, and I value Bikerdoc's experienced opinions on CF-Moto ... combined, more than good enough for me to test the waters. Ordering a GW250, also, but this 650TR seems very, very nice. I sat on one in a dealer, and like SF states, the foot pegs tuck the legs away in a racing style - not sure if I like that.

Also read some reviews online about the 650TR, all positive.

Sweety has always known I am a hopeless case.

5. #45 Re: UPDATE, 4100 kms later 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Shanghaifingers,
    When you next provide some feedback, push the point that the bike needs a centre-stand. It's one point I've been pushing to them, and the more they hear it, the more that issue might reach the R&D team which is ~30% of CFMoto investment, and hopefully result in one being designed in and added. It's the only real thing I feel that is lacking on the bike, oh and the lack of any odometer/trip metre - same as what is missing on the Jetmax.

I had thought about getting another Jetmax centre-stand and fabricating a creative solution to the centre-stand, but there is not a lot of space under that frame with the front under cowl and exhaust pipes... YMMV

BD
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-26-2012 at 08:10 AM.

6. #46 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    LJH I was just in at one of my local dealerships after having my Jetmax in for its two yearly inspection (passed with flying colours), which I was expecting - I had expected them to say no: lights to bright (25W HIDs) and horn too loud (PIAFF two tone electronic air horns), to say nothing off all the other mods, but surprise surprise it passed. Anyway the head salesman comes over and tells me he has a new bike that would suit me. A CF650NK which they've had since late last year or early this year I can't recall. He forgot too that he was trying to sell the 650NK to me then. Back at that time, I was waiting for the 650TR which I was told by my CFMoto insider was the police version and the RS would be for civilian use, but oh well TR it is. Anyway my wife was with me at the dealership having accompanied me to help fill in the forms for the inspection, and as soon as I said some positive things about the 650NK I felt a hit to my shoulder as she tried to persuade me from a possible purchase decision on the NK (not that I want a 650NK), and verbally reminded me that I have 3 bikes already (little does she know a fourth is on its way). Still you gotta luv 'em. They 'aint called sweeties for nothin'... I also got no spare space in the garage as it is...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-26-2012 at 08:21 AM.

7. #47 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    Bikerdoc,

I have spoken at length about a ceter stand.... I really can't understand why they did take the time to create one in the design phase. Its a sport touring bike, and one thing you will have to do is lub the chain (if you don't have an automatic oiler system) or god for bid fix a flat on the road. I have photos of the last roadside repair
    IMG_1016.jpg
    note the careful balancing act we are playing with to hydraulic jacks.... at the time I did not have "race spools" on the swingarm which might have helped....
    IMG_1019.jpg
    In case you wondering why I have to pull the whole wheel....
    A center stand would have made this a much easier issue. (Even though it only took 30min to complete the repair)

However they explain that its not something that they think they can just engineer in.... I am guessing they are waiting for me to go out and have a bespoke one made up and fitted before you will see anyone with one "stock" Now that I have pulled the stock exhaust can out there actually might be room now to fit a stand....

Anyone got any ideas who might do a good job fabing a center stand??? What about the Tourfellas "lao Ban", is this something he might be into???

8. #48 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    I'm with you 100% on this. A centre stand is a must, and for some it will be a contributing or deciding factor. I know of one potential buyer who was seriously considering the 650TR but for the lack of a centre stand he's not gone ahead with the purchase. I guess between you and myself (and potentially other interested parties) we have to be vocal about this oversight which needs correcting and fast. As you mention on a sport touring bike a centre stand is a necessity. If this means that CFMoto to need to redesign the exhaust system with a different collector box then so be it. You may want to send them some detailed pics of your after market can, so that 'get' the idea. Sometimes we as the end users need to take the initiative.

As for a bespoke solution, you might like to consider the Jetmax centre stand which I'm sure is not that expensive as most of the items for the Jetmax are really affordable in PRC - not so outside PRC though as it turns out. Having a centre stand then allows you to find someone to come up with a solution. If you were down in Zhejiang, I can say there is a very capable CFMoto approved mechanic with a small dirty but well organised work shop that has done a few fabricating projects for me on my Jetmax (exhaust fab for an after market can and altering my centre stand on the Jetmax to accommodate larger better branded tyres). So if you want to ride down to Beilun, Ningbo for a weekend I can introduce you to the fella etc.

I'd even be interested myself in seeing your combined solution (after market exhaust and centre stand addition), as I know it would convert one person into a buyer and potentially one more. So there's two potential buyers right there, if you could get this out of the gate - no pressure or anything!

As for the interim and working on that rear end without a centre stand, I use a combination of one hydraulic bottle jack just to raise my Dragstar Classic 1100 then I place two axle stands either side under the rear frame. A mate does something similar, but he forgoes the jack and just leans the bike over onto one side and slides an axle stand under the opposite side, and then uses that one axle stand to create a fulcrum affect for the opposite side. It gets the job done, but I prefer the bottle jack myself. Of course this is all well and good in my garage at home. Out on the road, me and my riding buddies had to use bricks to do the same thing one time in the hotel car park one morning in LiShui - it worked, but that convinced me then and there to change from tubed tyres to tubeless on the Dragstar which has wire wheels, so it cost me a bit (rmb3000 from memory which included the new tryes). Now I have the peace of mind that if I get a simple puncture I can use the proverbial plug. I also carry a small portable electric compressor not to mention lots of tools - which I end up using or lending on the road side to others in our riding party one time or another.

Still the axle stands are a nice solution when needed.

I just hope that CFMoto get the concept of an centre stand on the adventure/dual purpose model they're proposing.

9. #49 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    Although it is in no way a replacement of a centre stand, you might consider this principle to carry with you, it works very well, and is a one man operation. Just bring a tie-rap to lock your front brake.

http://www.packjack.ca/

IMG_4302.jpg black-bike.jpg

I even saw a guy who made one from a steel bar used for concrete reinforcement, same principle though.

10. #50 Re: Arrival of the CF Moto 650TR 
    ^ great idea, from the website video it demonstrates that application of the packjack does allow for the rear wheel to be lifted off the ground? I like it. Does it have any weight ratings?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast